Tire Recommendations for Carolina trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Tire Recommendations for Carolina trails

Last step on my bike build are tires. Got a first gen CDale Jekyll, so its a 26er. Its got a Lefty, so I can go wider on the front. Riding trails from coastal regions, all the way to Pisgah, and FATS. Need good all around tires for these areas. Thinking of going with a 2.35"+ up front with a narrower speedier, lower rolling resistance tire in the rear. I have a couple ideas, such as a Schwalbe Hans Dampf on the front, with a Nobby Nic on the back, or Go with Maxxis DHF on front, with an Ardent on the rear. They will ride tubeless on new Stans FlowEX wheels. Any ideas or recommendations?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I've been pleased w my Ardent 2.4 (x26) front and back setup. Maybe a bit burly or overkill for local Charlotte metro, but $$ in the mtns.

mtbr member
    I prefer the round ones.

To be more specific, I really love the grip of Schwalbe Racing Ralphs but they wear like a mofo. About to try some Nobby Nics.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I run Maxxis Ardent's front and rear and have been really happy with them around here. The Nobby Nics are next on my list to try though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I've been loving the nobby nic on the back of my 29er. Holds in the corners, digs in on climbs and resists spinning out on roots. The biggest complaint people have about the nobby nic is the sidewall durability. They are one of the lightest all mountain tires out there. I haven't had any issues yet personally, sidewalls are holding up well. If weight wasn't an issue for me, I'd go with the Hans Dampf.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Kenda Nevegal has good gripping too, especially for cornering and steep climbs.

ready to ride
    I hate nobby nics, but I do like an aggressive tread. Something I can count on when hitting sloppy corners at speed. Nobby nics just wash out on me.

Some of my favorite tires, there aren't for weight weenies or racers but if you want a tire you can trust to hold your line these are great ones. Continental Trail King 2.4, can you say voluminous? The tire is a beast. Just make sure you get the Black Chili flavor made in Germany. The Conti Mountain King II 2.4/2.2 The 2.4 is a solid back tire. I have a 2.2 on right now and the jury is still out. Admittedly it is on a 41mm OD rim so it squares it up a bit. I will probably change it to the 2.4. On One Chunky Monkey 2.4. I love this tire, you get get them for cheap too, well you used to, the tires are still cheap but can only order them from the UK now so shipping is a bit spendy but would still be in line with other tire prices. They are made by Maxxis on the Ardent casing. Similar to the Minion DHF. Which leads me to the Minion DHFs and great tire.

Looking for something lighter then I would look at the Maxxis Ardent 2.4 for front, Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 ( it is a skinny 2.35) rear. A lot of people say the Maxxis Ikon 2.35 is a great tire too. I have one sitting on the shelf but don't have any ride time on it.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I really like the Conti Trail King (Black Chilli) and Maxxis Highroller 2 in the front with an Ardent in the back, although I'm not nearly as picky with my back tire. The Specialized Ground Control is an excellent rear tire, as well. Probably lots more good tires out there, but I can't try them all. I wouldn't mind trying some Geax/Vittoria some day.

mtbr member
    When you say you hate the Nobby Nics? Are you talking about the new EVO snakeskin ones (pacestar, trailstar coumpounds), or the original Nobby's?
    Still havent pulled the trigger on a set, but I am close.

mtbr member
    Ive used, Conti Trail and Mtn. kings, Ardents, High Roller IIs, and now Im on Minions.

Gotta say the Minion is the best tire out of all. Grip like the High Roller, Roll like and Ardent (not quite as good but pretty damn good), and tough as nails.

I was a die hard Ardent man until I had 2 sets of Ardents shredded to pieces on me deep in the Pisgah. Enough to where I was sketched out running a tube. Conti's develop this weird bulge in the sidewall if you run too low of air pressure or burp the tire. Had 3 sets do that on my old SS

So far I've been really pleased with the Minion. If your worried about weight you can eat more veggies and ride harder. You'll save some weight right there... haha
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    A minion is on my list to try. I've had several people recommend them. I keep a heavier tire up front and a lighter one in back. I guess I do need more veggies. I have an Ardent EXO up front now and it's always washing out in the corners anytime there is loose stuff. I liked it at first but after a little bit of wear it seems to not grip for me, scary at times in the corners at speed. It's awesome on rocks and off camber stuff though. People do love them. I'm switching to something else up front. Maybe minion, maybe that Onza Ibex.

@usmceric1, I'm running a plain old budget $35 nobby nic comp. I run it around 20 - 22psi and it doesn't wash out for me. You'll get better traction with the EVO's but that sticky rubber wears quicker. I'm cheap in addition to needing more veggies.

mtbr member
    Ardents do have a dead spot in the tread thats really noticeable if your slamming corners and really hanging it out there. There a great general all purpose tire though. Once I started to really lean the bike in fast corners there weren't confidence inspiring. That and questionable toughness led me toward the Minion. I was really surprised at how well the Minion rolls and when it gets wet (which it does often up here) they dig in.

I know several yokels running Onza's. Very tough tire. The rubber is hard as a rock but you can put them into anything and they'll hold up. They last forever too.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I took your advice on the vegetables. I've started popping cans of spinach on rides instead of gu's. My strava times have improved by 25% and I switched to running downhill tires. I'm strong to the finish cause I eats my spinach. A-gah-gah-gah-gah...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Ive used, Conti Trail and Mtn. kings, Ardents, High Roller IIs, and now Im on Minions.

Gotta say the Minion is the best tire out of all. Grip like the High Roller, Roll like and Ardent (not quite as good but pretty damn good), and tough as nails.

I was a die hard Ardent man until I had 2 sets of Ardents shredded to pieces on me deep in the Pisgah. Enough to where I was sketched out running a tube. Conti's develop this weird bulge in the sidewall if you run too low of air pressure or burp the tire. Had 3 sets do that on my old SS

So far I've been really pleased with the Minion. If your worried about weight you can eat more veggies and ride harder. You'll save some weight right there... haha
    X2 for the Minions. DHFs, not DHRs however.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Ardents do have a dead spot in the tread thats really noticeable if your slamming corners and really hanging it out there. There a great general all purpose tire though. Once I started to really lean the bike in fast corners there weren't confidence inspiring. That and questionable toughness led me toward the Minion. I was really surprised at how well the Minion rolls and when it gets wet (which it does often up here) they dig in.

I know several yokels running Onza's. Very tough tire. The rubber is hard as a rock but you can put them into anything and they'll hold up. They last forever too.
    I've had issues with the sidewalls on the Ardents showing cords prematurely. I bomb down trails hard at times and it seems like my back tire rubs against rocks and such and the Ardents just can't handle it. I've never had sidewalls on tires wear out so quickly.

Quiet Professional
    How are the Hans Dampf? I am currently in the Lumberton and fayetteville area but Once get settled back in Nc and get a bike, I will be traveling all over to ride.

DFL
    I ride Trail King II 2.2 front and rear in the Triangle area and I have yet to be disappointed. To be honest it's probably overkill but I can say I haven't lost traction once since I put them on. I do run them at a little higher pressure due to my weight. I run 28 r and 26 f with tubes. I have the stuff to go tubeless I just haven't done it yet.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

Official Cooler Inspector
    Wow, I am so freaking old! Just went through a time warp. One of the longest threads I ever lusted over - in Olden MTBr Times ('97) - was about tires. I really like tires. A hormone kicked in.... Run away, run away.

(Edit: anything that starts with an M and ends with an X)
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Minnon DHF front and High Roller 2 back. I run the setup for local trails and bike parks. Plus Maxxis tires last longer.

Quiet Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by M-U-M View Post
    Wow, I am so freaking old! Just went through a time warp. One of the longest threads I ever lusted over - in Olden MTBr Times ('97) - was about tires. I really like tires. A hormone kicked in.... Run away, run away.

(Edit: anything that starts with an M and ends with an X)
    I remember between 2003 and 2005 tires were the rage also. Can't remember but there were a few red and black tires and black and yellow that were what We were supposed to ride or We were not the cool kids.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've been running a Hans Dampf in the front for over a year now. It's the 2.35 SS TLR and I wouldn't want any other tire. It's not heavy yet corners and tracks great and is sticky on rocks and roots. Had been running Nobby Nics 2.25 SS TLR prior which were fast and light but a bit squirrely for Pisgah. For the rear I just got the Rock Razor SS tubless easy which rolls faster and so far has done great for both wet and dry conditions. All of these were run tubless.