Tight, twisty, and challenging!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Tight, twisty, and challenging!

I rode two and a half laps at Richmond Hill this morning. Super fun! It's very tight, twisty, and technical. A few notes on what's out there currently:
    - There's a double switchback that's very challenging, but completely rideable going down. We'll have some more work to do on it in the near future including building a retaining wall on the first switch back so we can build up more of turning platform.
    - There's a few small trailside saplings that I'll be cutting out later this week- just too tight, believe it or not.

Regarding the double switchback- for those who want to know, there's a flag line we didn't work on that will be the "climbing route" to the same point the trail splits to go to the switchbacks. This will probably get built in the next month or so. I'm well aware the switchbacks aren't really cleanable riding up- that's why there will be an a different trail for going up which will also be easier for beginners to ride down. Signs will direct traffic appropriately. My opinion: there should be sections of trail challenging enough that not every rider can make it down them and most cannot ride (have to walk) up. This is especially appropriate when we can put in an alternate, easier line.

Signs and maps will happen as soon as we're done with the trails that don't cross the creek- that will mean about 1/2 the trail is built and there won't be new changes.
    For now, here's some right/left directions for a fun ride!

- From the parking lot, go behind the mulch pile to the double track with the open gate.
    - proceed down this double track to a T intersection. Turn right, then immediately left into the singletrack. This section is very fun and tight.
    - At the next fork, right.
    - At the next, very quick fork, right. Fun climb!
    - At the road, turn left. In a week or two, trail will be finished so that you cross the road, staying on ST.
    - Take the next left turn off the road. This is easy to miss. Fun trail from here with a cool river overlook and a fort some crazy kids built.
    - After a sharp right hand turn, continue straight onto the bench cut. This means not turning left. The bench cut is very tight and challenging!
    - at the next intersection, keep right to continue straight.
    - Take the next right turn, it happens soon. This leads into the two very challenging switchbacks and a nice creekside area. Eventually, you would continue across the creek right here for another 2 miles of ST on the other side of the creek.
    - For now, turn up the trail going upstream. You can either take the first hard left to reverse the way you came (it follows the orignal fallline trail back up to the turn that led to the switchbacks- we'll be re-routing this) or continue straight on the trail that runs alongside the creek. This will take you to the first section of trail that you rode and then you can go back to the parking lot.

A complete loop takes about 30 minutes.

XC Champion
    May 2006
    Of course it started raining today! I would love to get out there otherwise. Is the loop only rideable in one direction?

Thanks for all your hard work to get this off the ground!

mtbr member
    My two and half laps were as follows:

Follow directions above.
    After switchbacks, turn up the old falline left and ride the switchbacks again.
    Turn back up the old falline left and then go back the reverse of the way I came out.
    Go out again and after the third time down the switchbacks, take the trail back up that parallels the creek as detailed above.
    This took about 55 minutes with a few breaks for my dogs to get a drink.
    Except for the switchbacks, the trail rides well in either direction.

RIDE IT! It needs to get ridden in so the tread will compact...

banned
    from the title of the thread, I thought you were talking about **** over at biowheels.

XC Champion
    May 2006
    Awesome! Made it out today. You guys have done a great job getting that put together! It's conveniently located between my house and my office, so I'm sure I'll spend some more time out there soon. I hope to get out to the next work day as well.

Anyway, I GPS'd it with my phone and it looks good. I had some interruptions with phone calls and text messages that made me have to restart the GPS but aside from that it should be somewhat accurate. I also didn't know where the heck I was going so ended up stopping a bunch.

All in all I'm super stoked to have a new trail in such a convenient location.

The switchback (I'm pretty sure the rock face is rideable as well):

Good singletrack:

And the GPS route (Mike B - Please let me know if you don't want the GPS route available to the public for some reason):

https://www.trailguru.com/wiki/index...units=imperial

mtbr member
    Thanks a million!

We'll have at least double the mileage of trail eventually and very soon will have more on the existing loop. Our goal is to build trail in the woods right next to the doiuble track from the parking lot soo you can loop right from the trail .

I really hope the rock face is rideable- the trail was designed with that in mind, although it's over my head...

The GPS track rules. After about 2 more work days, we'll be focusing on signs and maps for the existing trails so it will be abut 1000X easier to find your way around.

2.47 miles of new trail with much more to come...

EDIT: Oh yeah, I'll be cutting out some of those saplings this week, I know the trails just tooo tight for riding in a place or two...

XC Champion
    May 2006
    You know I didn't think the trail was too tight at all! That bench cut section after the berm was really the only part that I struggled with at first but I cleaned it on my 2nd lap.

I should also point out that the 2.47 miles is actually riding the loop 3 times. I rode it the same direction twice and then reversed down by the switchbacks and rode it backwards. The backwards direction has a wicked double jump too.

I can't wait to get back out there. Let me know what I can do to help! The section after the creek crossing will definitely add some good additional distance too.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I thought that seemed high for what's there now.

There will be a LOT more later. We're just getting started.

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, almost forgot, we have a GPS track of the trail on the other side of the creek. The pdf I have is too big to post here, but it's definitely just barely short of another 2 miles of trail. There's more to come after that in other sections of the park, the disc golf people and I are going to sit down in late July and draw up a mutual master plan proposal for the remaining section to submit to the city.

Like I've said all along, at least 4, hopefully around 6 miles of trail when we're done. I'm predicting right between 5 & 6 miles.

Would anyone be interested in an organized tour of the trails sometime soon? I could show both what we've built as well some stuf that requires exploring and really increases the mileage that's out there already...wait, did I just type that?

Edit: Decided to explain Mr. Winky Eye. There's a bunch of old trail as well some old disc golf holes out there that people should feel free to explore. Just turn left instead of right at the first T intersection from the parking lot...that's the section of the park we're still working out how to develop between us and the disc golfers...
    Last edited by Mike Brown; 06-24-2009 at 06:49 PM.

That's damn yankee to you
    Aug 2008
    Anyone bring their dogs here yet? I was walking up there one day and some girl told me they were writing citations left and right for off leash dogs.... Then the disc golfers tell me their dogs run all over the place while they play......
    And yeah I KNOW there's a leash law....just wondering about the enforcement
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    You know....... whatever bike they are riding, assure them its the biggest bike of any guy you have ever ridden with.

mtbr member
    Make sure your dogs are on leash within sight of the parking lot.
    Otherwise, yes, sure, there's a leash law.

rob
    slakDawg
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    Oh yeah, almost forgot, we have a GPS track of the trail on the other side of the creek. The pdf I have is too big to post here, but it's definitely just barely short of another 2 miles of trail. .
    Mike, if you email it to me, I'll host it for you. Then you can link to it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rob
    Mike, if you email it to me, I'll host it for you. Then you can link to it.

Thanks...but I should be clear. That's two miles of trail that's still to be built...and it's really rough now.

Next spring it'll be ready.

mtbr member
    Somewhat finished/opened anothe section of trail last night.
    Using directions above, you can now cross the road onto singletrack instead of turning left onto the road.
    EDIT: At a fork on the new trail, bear left. This will take you to the singletrack out to the river overlook/fort.
    Go check it out!
    After trail work, rode for just short of an hour with no complete "repeats", using a lot of old trails and goat paths...great stuff!
    If you want guidance, myself or Ian B. will be leading every other Friday night rides from BioWheels at approx 7:10pm for the duration of daylight savings time. These rides may include an adult beverage or two both before and after, so take that into considersation. Officially starts 7/17/09, although is likely to occur this upcoming Friday as well.

Mike

Bix Pender
    Feb 2009
    The trails are cool, but the poison ivy sucks. Without signs though and since i got tired of pulling my paper out to see which way I should turn.....I began to just ride anywhere and ended up over on the old trails, which have always had a problem! So maybe the signed route won't be as bad. I'm optimistic to have some local trails for a weekday short track XC race series, but I'm afraid a lot of people would be turned off by the poison ivy. I guess we just do it in the winter. I'd much rather be out there racing in the cold anyways.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Once the trail system is complete, we should look into way marking the trails so folks don't need a map. This would make this urban trail system very user friendly.

W.

mtbr member
    Carp- thanks for checking it out. The PI is the biggest problem with the Rhill, I agree. It may see a lot more use in the winter, I'm cool with that. I'd also say that my eventual plan is to maintain the trail with a weedeater so the PI is beat back to ground level and, if we get enough use, it'll push back naturally.
    Regarding maps and signs- I'm guessing by September, we'll have a map online. I want to finish all of the trails on the "Creekside" first. We'll have signs, I'm in touch with a couple of Eagle Scout candidates regarding that and I agree with Woody about direction signage.

carpeater- you shoudl come out for the Friday Night rides. Using all terrain and old trails, we rode for 5.4 miles at Rhill last Friday...no total repeats.

Members who have read this thread: 0