Third Coast Enduro- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    190

    Third Coast Enduro

    I am heading to Paris Mountain State Park near Greenville, SC for an Enduro later this month. Never ridden in the area. Thoughts, opinions?

  2. #2
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,951
    My opinion is to go downhill as fast as you can. If you do it faster than everyone else, I think you will win.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    My opinion is to go downhill as fast as you can. If you do it faster than everyone else, I think you will win.
    Thank you for proving the axiom, "douchebag says what?"

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mike Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,289
    Dambala- high speed XC type trails with some tech features, usually an alternate line. Not a true DH course or as technical as many areas of Pisgah. My opinion only and I've only ridden there a few times a few years ago...so trails may have changed.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    190
    Good info Mike, thanks

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    22
    Pretty boring machine built trails with no rocks or roots to speak of. Starting to look a lot like Pisgah west of Asheville.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by Weight_of_Sound View Post
    Pretty boring machine built trails with no rocks or roots to speak of. Starting to look a lot like Pisgah west of Asheville.
    Huh? Pisgah west of Asheville is machine built with no roots/rocks? Are you talking about the pisgah trails in brevard? I'm confused. I thought Farlow, Daniels Ridge, Bennett, etc are all in pisgah, west of asheville.

    Dambala, I know quite a few people that love some paris mtn. These are people who love some gnarly, technical DH too (so not into just flowy stuff), so it is a fun trail. Just don't go in hoping for technical challenges like Windrock leg of the series (if you went to that). They use to have a "DH" course that was supposedly decent for the area, but it no longer exists. Cranksgiving is suppose to be a blast and fills it's spots every year.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by matty22c View Post
    Huh? Pisgah west of Asheville is machine built with no roots/rocks? Are you talking about the pisgah trails in brevard? I'm confused. I thought Farlow, Daniels Ridge, Bennett, etc are all in pisgah, west of asheville.

    Dambala, I know quite a few people that love some paris mtn. These are people who love some gnarly, technical DH too (so not into just flowy stuff), so it is a fun trail. Just don't go in hoping for technical challenges like Windrock leg of the series (if you went to that). They use to have a "DH" course that was supposedly decent for the area, but it no longer exists. Cranksgiving is suppose to be a blast and fills it's spots every year.
    Great info everyone. Thanks

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: -Mueller-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Weight_of_Sound View Post
    Pretty boring machine built trails with no rocks or roots to speak of. Starting to look a lot like Pisgah west of Asheville.
    This isn't really accurate at all. I grew up in Greenville and have done cranksgiving twice. Most of the stuff is machine-built, but with all the traffic they get, especially on race week, the trails are pretty damn rough. Brissy Ridge is quite rocky near the beginning of the stage, and once you turn right to drop down to the pavement is super rooty, rough, and fun. During last year's race, even Kanuga and sulphur springs had gotten pretty loose and rough from all the riders. Pip trail down to the lake has some rough spots as well.

    As other's mentioned, don't expect Farlow Gap or Windrock, but it's not totally buffed out either. My biggest critique of the event is the stages tend to be longer than necessary, really making it more like an xc stage time trial than an enduro. Be ready to pedal your ass off. Also dress appropriately because you may be waiting in line for some of the stages.

    It's a fun event put on by a great club, and they are making a lot happen in upstate SC. I understand it's not the most challenging venue for this type of event but it's a little annoying when people act "too tough" for anything but the hardest trails in our area. If that's how you feel, stick to the backcountry stuff, but no need to insult other's hard work.

  10. #10
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,611

    Third Coast Enduro

    "Weight of sound" is a drama queen and should be ignored.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by -Mueller- View Post
    This isn't really accurate at all. I grew up in Greenville and have done cranksgiving twice. Most of the stuff is machine-built, but with all the traffic they get, especially on race week, the trails are pretty damn rough. Brissy Ridge is quite rocky near the beginning of the stage, and once you turn right to drop down to the pavement is super rooty, rough, and fun. During last year's race, even Kanuga and sulphur springs had gotten pretty loose and rough from all the riders. Pip trail down to the lake has some rough spots as well.

    As other's mentioned, don't expect Farlow Gap or Windrock, but it's not totally buffed out either. My biggest critique of the event is the stages tend to be longer than necessary, really making it more like an xc stage time trial than an enduro. Be ready to pedal your ass off. Also dress appropriately because you may be waiting in line for some of the stages.

    It's a fun event put on by a great club, and they are making a lot happen in upstate SC. I understand it's not the most challenging venue for this type of event but it's a little annoying when people act "too tough" for anything but the hardest trails in our area. If that's how you feel, stick to the backcountry stuff, but no need to insult other's hard work.
    Agree with All the above Posts.

    As the event promoter and guy working on the trail here is what to expect.

    Saturday expect to pedal your arse off at Pleasant Ridge.
    Machine built trail with some hand built trail sections in the mix. You will need to pay attention as there are not really any straight open sections. Trail twist and turns all over the place.

    Sunday you will still need to pedal at Paris Mtn. Trail is in great rough shape. Rocks roots and flow intermixed. No big rock gardens or drops as of now.
    We are cutting out the flat pedal sections at the finishes and only capturing the timed descents. Also if you are coming up to pre-ride you may want to stay on the high side of the trail as the straight lines that are being created on the low side will most likely be eliminated by the event. Feel free to pm me or message me on social media for more info.

    Mueller - Thanks for the help last year. We will be adding Sulphur Springs from the top to the bottom this year for the last stage. Will start on the old fire tower road and run through the cul de sac and down to Shelter 5&6

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: -Mueller-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Eccorp View Post
    Also if you are coming up to pre-ride you may want to stay on the high side of the trail as the straight lines that are being created on the low side will most likely be eliminated by the event.

    Mueller - Thanks for the help last year. We will be adding Sulphur Springs from the top to the bottom this year for the last stage. Will start on the old fire tower road and run through the cul de sac and down to Shelter 5&6
    I have been riding a few very high traffic trail systems in the mid-atlantic, and like paris, people will use every available inch of the trail that they can find. Urban trail systems like that, it's really hard to keep people on the line and the trail creep is just wild. It actually has worked out well in some spots at paris for racing because it's become a lot more difficult and rough to stick the fast lines without drifting down to the low side. People like to hate but I volunteered on those trails when Adam and Ben first built them in 2005 and they were smooth as eggs back then. Add thousands of riders per week and what you have now resembles a 10 ft wide downhill track in places!

    I can't make it down early enough for the race this year, but I'm sure with the tweaks to the route and the addition of Pleasant ridge, it will be the best one yet!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Eccorp View Post
    We will be adding Sulphur Springs from the top to the bottom this year for the last stage. Will start on the old fire tower road and run through the cul de sac and down to Shelter 5&6
    ^^^^That will be an awesome stage.
    Last edited by bdjohnson121; 11-07-2014 at 01:35 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Third Coast Enduro
    By Dambala in forum Enduro Racing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-12-2014, 04:49 AM
  2. East Coast Enduro races for 2014 can be found here!
    By theranch in forum Enduro Racing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-27-2013, 03:48 PM
  3. East Coast Enduro races??
    By Powderman in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-18-2013, 12:24 PM
  4. East Coast enduro racing
    By pjnoto in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-04-2013, 05:59 AM
  5. East coast enduro/super d!
    By sickspeed16 in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-23-2012, 05:23 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.