THANK YOU for not ripping the crap out of our Mountain Trails.- Mtbr.com
    Dig it!

THANK YOU for not ripping the crap out of our Mountain Trails.

I just wanted to take a minute to say thank you for those of you that chose not to ride our trials the last couple of months during the freeze thaw cycle. It has been a brutal winter thus far. We have seen a lot less traffic in Pisgah and DSRF lately. It is really appreciated. Thank you
    Should you do more trail work?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bfluid View Post
    I just wanted to take a minute to say thank you for those of you that chose not to ride our trials the last couple of months during the freeze thaw cycle. It has been a brutal winter thus far. We have seen a lot less traffic in Pisgah and DSRF lately. It is really appreciated. Thank you
    Humanity...win...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Somebody forgot to tell these guys ->

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeEtVShxamQ&t=1s

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Dude is making money on public trails,he needs a permit for his group rides at a minimum and needs to send the USFS their cut of the money he makes filming and hosting his rides.Also I believe Camp Grier is hosting a trail workday in the near future that he needs to participate in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cortez View Post

Yeah... That guy...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smells Like Fish View Post
    Dude is making money on public trails,he needs a permit for his group rides at a minimum and needs to send the USFS their cut of the money he makes filming and hosting his rides.Also I believe Camp Grier is hosting a trail workday in the near future that he needs to participate in.
    I agree, but he might not be charging a fee to do these group rides. It's a grey area, but at a minimum they should do trail maint. since they are hosting such a large number of riders.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cortez View Post

What trail is that? And i wonder how many of those cars in the parking lot are NC locals who "should" know better? Definitely not condoning the actions of the "you tube star", just an observation that the parking lot seemed pretty full.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Kitsuma

mtbr member
    If the dude isnt charging for the rides I dont see how what he's doing is wrong... other than riding trails when they're soft. There are plenty of other folks here and elsewhere using "Pisgah", "Dupont", etc to turn a buck... Good for him for getting people stoked on bikes. Maybe next video shoud be about giving back and helping with trail maintenance though...

And Kitsuma sees that many riders x 10 easily on any given weekend. Its extremely popular.

Not condoning his actionsn riding soft trails but dont crucify the guy for wanting to have fun and getting people out on bikes...
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Using the name is different then the forest resources.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    His patrons pay him 3k a month check his website. They're headed to Moab next.Did he make that much on the ride no, but he supports himself making videos in the Forest. I don't disagree with not crucifying him for going out on with a group to get people on bikes .However that isn't really how he rolls.Click the link on his video. 25 riders were on his ride.

Big Mac
    So, what’s the fascination with riding with that guy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post

Excellent question... When I was still working at a certain shop as a suspension tech/mechanic I came in for an emergency repair after working my other job and stayed until 3 am for complete front and rear shock rebuilds/service. I knew he was from out of town and wanted to go the extra mile. Not just basic service, full tear downs. The work was guaranteed and as promised the bike was ready first thing the next morning. Long story short he still asked for a discount since he's on YouTube. So if he's reading this mutual respect in the industry would be nice. That includes staying the F off our trails during freeze/thaw with a ton of people. Awesome thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Some of these YouTube MTB stars have achieved celebrity status among those that follow them. People like Alex and Seth in particular appeal to a certain crowd. They get some people really excited, but a lot of their viewers seem to have a similar mindset/approach.

So what is the fascination? I don't know, either, but what is the fascination with celebrities from all walks of life? It's really not much different, some people are just drawn towards that type of thing. It's not the type of group ride I'd want to be on, but everyone has different preferences and things they are drawn to.

As to using the forest, I don't think you can really expect them to pay out anything, the revenue they get from YT is gonna be minimal and probably not worth the effort. The Patreon figures are overall for all content, so it'd be hard to fairly figure out what part of that should go towards the forest. Maybe what they are doing could be considered a commercial operation, but given what I've seen of their content, I doubt they'd care what the rules are and I doubt the forest has mechanisms for dealing with that type of thing (YT content, not commercial operations, which I know they have rules for). Same for trail maintenance, I doubt we're gonna see them out there with shovels working on the trails because that's not what their viewers care about.

All that said, what does bother me is their attitudes towards other forest users. I've seen almost all of them nearly plow into other users of the forest without so much as a word. The trails can handle the use (for the most part), but people are not going to look kindly upon almost being plowed over then passed without a word or, in some cases, given attitude. That is a much bigger problem that's gonna yield far more issues IMO, both by creating the same attitude in their followers and in creating more enemies to riding in the forest.

I'm also annoyed they find it appropriate to stick their stupid shuttlecock stickers on USFS signage, but maybe I shouldn't be, despite it being a bit of a representation as to why some of them bother me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    Excellent question... When I was still working at a certain shop as a suspension tech/mechanic I came in for an emergency repair after working my other job and stayed until 3 am for complete front and rear shock rebuilds/service. I knew he was from out of town and wanted to go the extra mile. Not just basic service, full tear downs. The work was guaranteed and as promised the bike was ready first thing the next morning. Long story short he still asked for a discount since he's on YouTube. So if he's reading this mutual respect in the industry would be nice. That includes staying the F off our trails during freeze/thaw with a ton of people. Awesome thanks.
    In light of this YouTube divas immense douchery we should totally crucify him to the gods of Pisgah Trail Maintenance.

Brad you’re a better man than me. I would’ve laughed his ass out there for asking for a “YouTube discount”. Wtf haha

I don’t know the dude but I hear public shaming works pretty good...
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    In light of this YouTube divas immense douchery we should totally crucify him to the gods of Pisgah Trail Maintenance.

Brad you’re a better man than me. I would’ve laughed his ass out there for asking for a “YouTube discount”. Wtf haha

I don’t know the dude but I hear public shaming works pretty good...
    Yes. Mandatory water bar digging on South Mills for a week straight!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Fwiw, I have watched some of Seth's videos, and only know this guy because he is often in them.

He and Seth ride together, but have pretty different personalities. I would ride with Seth, but this guy usually just seems like a vapid Enduro bro caricature.

So, I wouldn't lump Seth in with him- their models are similar but the content is different.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Smells Like Fish View Post
    His patrons pay him 3k a month check his website. They're headed to Moab next.Did he make that much on the ride no, but he supports himself making videos in the Forest. I don't disagree with not crucifying him for going out on with a group to get people on bikes .However that isn't really how he rolls.Click the link on his video. 25 riders were on his ride.
    Yeah, its an interesting grey area. There's potential that he should be responsible for special use permits as well as a commercial use fee for his videography. But his exact models for generating income and organizing these rides aren't explicitly described in these documents, which is probably just enough grey area that he's been able to skirt permitting so far. I doubt it'll be too long before someone in the USFS wises up and goes after him. That might happen after someone tips off a USFS employee about what's actually going on.

https://www.fs.fed.us/specialuses/sp...com_uses.shtml
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5355613.pdf

Big Mac

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I get all of your points about trail damage and this and that, I really do. But some of these comments seem a bit... uptight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017

THANK YOU for not ripping the crap out of our Mountain Trails.

Sounds like some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk P
    2017 Ibis Ripley LS Factory X01

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by SCxXxMTB View Post
    I get all of your points about trail damage and this and that, I really do. But some of these comments seem a bit... uptight.
    The warm weather will get everyone off the forums and back on their bikes soon...cheers everyone up!

mtbr member
    Headed Pisgah way for work all the way from the Pacific Northwest next week. Bringing my bike (thanks, Alaskan Air!) and hoping to ride next Friday/Saturday. Just goofing around Friday late afternoon, but tentatively planning on this for Saturday:

https://www.trailforks.com/route/bik...y-pisgah-ride/

Any thoughts on how this might ride? As a builder/advocate myself, being sensitive to local trail conditions is DEFINITELY on the agenda.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelito View Post
    Headed Pisgah way for work all the way from the Pacific Northwest next week. Bringing my bike (thanks, Alaskan Air!) and hoping to ride next Friday/Saturday. Just goofing around Friday late afternoon, but tentatively planning on this for Saturday:

Any thoughts on how this might ride? As a builder/advocate myself, being sensitive to local trail conditions is DEFINITELY on the agenda.
    South Mills River has infinity river crossings. It's usually one of the wettest trails in Pisgah, and is probably a swamp right now due to recent rainfall. Turkey Pen Road is currently closed. You are not permitted to park at the bottom, contrary to what that ride description says. If you've never been to Pisgah, that ride is a lot to bite off for your first meal. You may want to go for less miles to ensure you get out before dark.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    South Mills River has infinity river crossings. It's usually one of the wettest trails in Pisgah, and is probably a swamp right now due to recent rainfall. Turkey Pen Road is currently closed. You are not permitted to park at the bottom, contrary to what that ride description says. If you've never been to Pisgah, that ride is a lot to bite off for your first meal. You may want to go for less miles to ensure you get out before dark.

I agree south Mills River would be very slow right now without a ton of sludge and river crossings. I also second the approach of possibly a bit less your first time, not questioning your fitness but everything tends to go a bit slower in Pisgah...that's a tough ride

mtbr member

While the freeze-thaw has stabilized for now...I would still try to stick to ridgeline trails with minimal river crossings. Some kind of variation of Black Mtn would be a safe bet for the most part.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Maybe post up closer to when you know what day/time you're riding for better feel on trail conditions. Some big rain looking like mid next week.

If you have the fitness (25 inner Pisgah miles is freaking huge compared to most standards), that loop you linked with a small mod would be my choice. See if you can access this link: https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/1132296/

Here are the two main mods:
    -------Swap South Mills River trail and Squirrel Gap from Wolf Ford with up gravel road 5018 and down upper Horse Cove
    ------Do not go all the way down Squirrel to Mullinax. It means you have to hike/walk/swim up Bradley Creek Trail. Instead, take a left to go down Laurel Creek trail. It's raw and chunky and a weird kind of fun. There is one wet crossing at the bottom. It'll spit you out at gravel road 5015/Bradley Creek Road.

These mods will definitely hold up better to weather, avoid significant creek crossings, and IMO is more fun. South Mills is a slog any time of year. Right now it's a death sentence for your drivetrain.

For this loop, I would park at Yellow Gap (top of 5015).

And lastly, if you any concern about the difficulty of 25 miles/4000 feet and really technical trails, I would say the Laurel-Pilot loop (connecting the trails via gravel road 1206) is 13 miles/2k feet and the radness cannot be overstated. Also holds up well this time of year.

Dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Maybe post up closer to when you know what day/time you're riding for better feel on trail conditions. Some big rain looking like mid next week.

If you have the fitness (25 inner Pisgah miles is freaking huge compared to most standards), that loop you linked with a small mod would be my choice. See if you can access this link: https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/1132296/

Here are the two main mods:
    -------Swap South Mills River trail and Squirrel Gap from Wolf Ford with up gravel road 5018 and down upper Horse Cove
    ------Do not go all the way down Squirrel to Mullinax. It means you have to hike/walk/swim up Bradley Creek Trail. Instead, take a left to go down Laurel Creek trail. It's raw and chunky and a weird kind of fun. There is one wet crossing at the bottom. It'll spit you out at gravel road 5015/Bradley Creek Road.

These mods will definitely hold up better to weather, avoid significant creek crossings, and IMO is more fun. South Mills is a slog any time of year. Right now it's a death sentence for your drivetrain.

For this loop, I would park at Yellow Gap (top of 5015).

And lastly, if you any concern about the difficulty of 25 miles/4000 feet and really technical trails, I would say the Laurel-Pilot loop (connecting the trails via gravel road 1206) is 13 miles/2k feet and the radness cannot be overstated. Also holds up well this time of year.
    +1 on the Laurel Mountain loop if you like tech.

mtbr member
    Most gravel roads remain closed in the district. Plan any routes accordingly regarding parking.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/nfsnc...ces/?aid=45239

Tim, I think it's ok to park at the bottom of Turkey Pen on weekends but not weekdays. It's a school bus turnaround. I could be totally wrong though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    LOL you guys are pretty uptight and I imagine hypocritical. I'm sure we have all gone out in a little bit of mud and have had one or two close calls with trail users. The only difference is his deeds are caught on camera and your's are not. Maybe you are a little butt hurt you're working a shitty 9-5 and can't ride all day long making a living at it.

Glasses house and such...
    18 Focus Raven Lite
    17 Focus o1e
    17 Yeti ASR-cT
    16 Bianchi Specialissima
    15 Echo Big Deal

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    LOL you guys are pretty uptight and I imagine hypocritical. I'm sure we have all gone out in a little bit of mud and have had one or two close calls with trail users. The only difference is his deeds are caught on camera and your's are not. Maybe you are a little butt hurt you're working a shitty 9-5 and can't ride all day long making a living at it.

Glasses house and such...
    See you at the next trail work day?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    See you at the next trail work day?

You got a list of the trail work dates?

I was a segment adopter for 2 years in a row.
    18 Focus Raven Lite
    17 Focus o1e
    17 Yeti ASR-cT
    16 Bianchi Specialissima
    15 Echo Big Deal

mtbr member
    You got a list of the trail work dates?

I was a segment adopter for 2 years in a row.
    March 24th at Dupont. See PAS FB page for details. There's plenty south of the border, too. March 17th at Stumphouse Tunnel in Oconee County is the next one for Upstate SORBA.

mtbr member
    irishpitbull- no. The difference is that when I go out when conditions aren't perfect, I'm not taking a giant group and making money off my mistakes, promoting others to do the same. I absolutely agree that few if any riders don't sometimes go out in when conditions aren't perfect, including me. Sometimes, rides happen.

**disclaimer- haven't watched the video, basing this on what others have posted here.**

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    Tim, I think it's ok to park at the bottom of Turkey Pen on weekends but not weekdays. It's a school bus turnaround. I could be totally wrong though.
    I parked down there on a weekend day last fall. There were two vehicles with a bike rack there when I parked there, and another guy showed up as I was leaving. No tickets on any of the vehicles, AFAIK. Yeah, I imagine that you would run a much higher chance of getting a ticket on a weekday with that spot being a school bus turnaround.

since 4/10/2009
    The only difference is his deeds are caught on camera and your's are not.
    irishpitbull- no. The difference is that when I go out when conditions aren't perfect, I'm not taking a giant group and making money off my mistakes, promoting others to do the same. I absolutely agree that few if any riders don't sometimes go out in when conditions aren't perfect, including me. Sometimes, rides happen.
    This is the exact truth. I do give them credit for choosing not to do it again due to poor conditions, but I find it's not difficult to predict conditions when you're especially familiar with an area. Pretty sure they could have done their meetup/video on a trail with better conditions that day. Probably something rockier and more technical, yes. But when you're planning to do a ride during a time of year where trail conditions change rapidly, you need to have some flexibility build into your plans.

Dig it!
    Most gravel roads remain closed in the district. Plan any routes accordingly regarding parking.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/nfsnc...ces/?aid=45239

The landowner put up some additional fence recently, it goes to the edge of DOT right of way.

I think you can park there midweek, just don't be there when the school bus show up. Maybe ok between 9-2? But don't be late and cause an issue. Someone chime in if they know different.

Please be super respectful and do not over load that area at the bottom and become a burden to the landowners. If you encounter a landowner please be extremely nice.

Dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    This is the exact truth. I do give them credit for choosing not to do it again due to poor conditions, but I find it's not difficult to predict conditions when you're especially familiar with an area. Pretty sure they could have done their meetup/video on a trail with better conditions that day. Probably something rockier and more technical, yes. But when you're planning to do a ride during a time of year where trail conditions change rapidly, you need to have some flexibility build into your plans.
    He is also "leading trips" and he should be setting a better example. If he is going to put this stuff out there at the scale he does, then a certain amount of responsibility come with it and he will probably recognize this eventually.

Has anyone reached out to him and asked him to help the situation? Maybe a vid or two on highlighting stewardship, or leading and representing the community in a better way. He seems like he would be up for something like that. It would be a lot better than bashing him here.

Be part of the solution.

since 4/10/2009
    He is also "leading trips" and he should be setting a better example. If he is going to put this stuff out there at the scale he does, then a certain amount of responsibility come with it and he will probably recognize this eventually.
    Absolutely true.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Everything I've ridden this week has been fine. The rain doesn't seem to have had much of an impact on the trail surface unless it's a section that is already prone to being muddy and making a few small streams that are normally a trickle flow a bit more. That would be trails out of the fish hatchery, N Mills, and Sycamores. I can't speak to Black/Bennett/Avery.

The only thing I've seen that's been the exception is the top of grassy, which is just gonna be gross until we have a prolonged dry period, it's been like that since the first thaw.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, VERY helpful. On distance, 25+ miles with tech and big elevation is a fairly standard ride for me. So, worried much more about conditions. I've been in Nashville the past few days and it's been pissing rain almost the whole time. Will try to check out the Laurel-Pilot loop tomorrow. Again, thanks for the local knowledge. Looking forward to hitting trails that aren't covered in snow. Which, BTW, if anyone here is planning on trips to the Northwest or BC this summer, after the last few weeks of storms, the high country rides won't be melted out until late June.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Thanks for the info, VERY helpful. On distance, 25+ miles with tech and big elevation is a fairly standard ride for me. So, worried much more about conditions. I've been in Nashville the past few days and it's been pissing rain almost the whole time. Will try to check out the Laurel-Pilot loop tomorrow. Again, thanks for the local knowledge. Looking forward to hitting trails that aren't covered in snow. Which, BTW, if anyone here is planning on trips to the Northwest or BC this summer, after the last few weeks of storms, the high country rides won't be melted out until late June.
    Most folks access the Laurel/Pilot loop from Yellow Gap rd, which is closed through April I'm afraid. It's a forest service road and has taken a beating during the freeze/thaw this winter. However, you could drop in to the loop from the Blue Ridge Parkway, check their interactive online map to insure that's open before you go, it's often closed in the winter, but given the unusual warmth lately it should be good to go.

The trails in the area should mostly be in decent shape this weekend I'd say, we've had heavy rain the last day or so, so avoid the South Mills area (lots of river crossings), but other than that the trails should drain well for the weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbeh View Post
    Most folks access the Laurel/Pilot loop from Yellow Gap rd, which is closed through April I'm afraid. It's a forest service road and has taken a beating during the freeze/thaw this winter. However, you could drop in to the loop from the Blue Ridge Parkway, check their interactive online map to insure that's open before you go, it's often closed in the winter, but given the unusual warmth lately it should be good to go.

The trails in the area should mostly be in decent shape this weekend I'd say, we've had heavy rain the last day or so, so avoid the South Mills area (lots of river crossings), but other than that the trails should drain well for the weekend.
    Ya, and wicked wind supposed to be around tomorrow, which, while it may drop some trees, it'll also help dry things out. Would recommend sucking it up and parking at North Mills River campground (drive through campground to bridge and park around there), then slog it up 1206 to Yellow Gap and hit the Laurel Pilot Loop from there. It's an additional 3 miles on the front and back end and the climb can be a b!tch. That way you'll avoid any issue with Parkway being closed and/or riding on Parkway land.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Ya, and wicked wind supposed to be around tomorrow, which, while it may drop some trees, it'll also help dry things out. Would recommend sucking it up and parking at North Mills River campground (drive through campground to bridge and park around there), then slog it up 1206 to Yellow Gap and hit the Laurel Pilot Loop from there. It's an additional 3 miles on the front and back end and the climb can be a b!tch. That way you'll avoid any issue with Parkway being closed and/or riding on Parkway land.
    Not a local so my knowledge is lacking but could you not park at pink beds below the parkway and ride on 276 for a minute and turn on the gravel road and ride to start of laurel? I think Ive done that before if memory serves but maybe that lot is closed in the winter? It takes a while to get to trailhead on gravel road but what proper Pisgah ride is short! Ive also ridden pink beds trail to the gauging station then jumped on the gravel road to laurel but I imagine that trail probably really muddy since it is low and next to the creek for most of it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teamplayr View Post
    Not a local so my knowledge is lacking but could you not park at pink beds below the parkway and ride on 276 for a minute and turn on the gravel road and ride to start of laurel? I think Ive done that before if memory serves but maybe that lot is closed in the winter? It takes a while to get to trailhead on gravel road but what proper Pisgah ride is short! Ive also ridden pink beds trail to the gauging station then jumped on the gravel road to laurel but I imagine that trail probably really muddy since it is low and next to the creek for most of it.
    That would be a longer route than parking at North Mills and you would end up at the bottom of Pilot Rock, not beginning of Laurel. Pink Beds lot is open, but Pink Beds Loop is seasonal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    That would be a longer route than parking at North Mills and you would end up at the bottom of Pilot Rock, not beginning of Laurel. Pink Beds lot is open, but Pink Beds Loop is seasonal.

Right but Pink Beds Loop is currently open.....till April 15.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by teamplayr View Post
    Ya you could totally do that too. I just checked the map and actually I'm surprised at how little of a difference there is.

It's just over 4mi from Pinkbeds to the base of Pilot (so thats 8mi extra on the whole loop).

It's just over 3mi from the Fishermans bridge/NMR to the base of Laurel - 6mi extra).

Soooooooooo. Yeah if all you're doing is Laurel/Pilot loop and you're not driving an extra 45 min to get to Pinkbeds instead of NMR...then go for Pinkbeds.

mtbr member
    Right but Pink Beds Loop is currently open.....till April 15.
    Yes. That's why I said seasonal. You couldn't ride that route after 04/15. Just wanted to note that for the above post.

Coincidentally, I'll be there tomorrow.

Pink Beds to South Mills to Buckhorn Gap to Upper Black to Avery Creek to FS 477 to Buckwheat Knob to Club Gap to car.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    All the seasonal trails are open till 4/15, correct?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    All the seasonal trails are open till 4/15, correct?
    Yup.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Nah I'm just sad he has never bought me a beer.I'm out 40 to 60 hrs a week working on trails. The same trails he shows up to and has a blast on. I'm glad he has figured out a way to monetize his adventures but come on.He took 25 riders out on a crappy day, no apologies,no remorse. 25 people and when they encountered hikers they just rode by with out yielding.Yes the hikers stepped out of the way,but if dude was worth the water in his hydration pack he would have held his group up so the hikers could pass. So to recap he hasn't brought me beers,he leads group rides on shitty days and he acts like a knuckle head when he encounters hikers.I'm not mad I'm just really disappointed.

mtbr member
    What I've learned from this thread is that I need to buy S a beer next time I see him.

Done!

mtbr member
    So, looks like he was there helping with the trails? Is everyone's opinion still the same, or has it changed after interaction with him?

Genuinely curious. Discuss.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by R_Pierce View Post
    So, looks like he was there helping with the trails?
    I saw that, and I can only wonder how much it was a "hey, look at me! I help with the trails, too!" prompted by discussions like this one.

Big Mac
    Still a douche.

Dig it!
    Because of this thread I reached out to him over email a while back and he was totally reasonable and generally agreed.

Without going to deep, It seems to me like he stepped up. He showed up, worked hard, and then made a couple of edits to highlight the work and call attention to the cause. I really don't know what else we could ask?

We discussed the conditions when he took the group down Kits and the hiker pass. I guess they prerode it the day before and thought it was going to be more stable than it was. He also didn't think the hiker pass was a big deal at the time, but sees it more clearly now.

He also agreed that with a growing viewership he understands that some folks will likely emulate his riding. He also stated that was not what he wanted nor expected. He didn't really ever think that his new success would have unforeseen consequences. He understands that he has some responsibility and needs to step up his game and seems to be doing just that.

He is really just trying to figure out how to make a living doing what he loves and figuring it out as he goes.

After all this went down I ran into him at OB and introduced myself. He was appreciative and we had a good conversation around the workday. He was nice, humble, and thanked me for reaching out to have a conversation.

It is easy to slam him, and I get that his edits aren't for everyone. But I think he is trying to make things right. We will see how it unfolds in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by R_Pierce View Post
    So, looks like he was there helping with the trails? Is everyone's opinion still the same, or has it changed after interaction with him?

Genuinely curious. Discuss.

Big Mac
    Because of this thread I reached out to him over email a while back and he was totally reasonable and generally agreed.

Without going to deep, It seems to me like he stepped up. He showed up, worked hard, and then made a couple of edits to highlight the work and call attention to the cause. I really don't know what else we could ask?

We discussed the conditions when he took the group down Kits and the hiker pass. I guess they prerode it the day before and thought it was going to be more stable than it was. He also didn't think the hiker pass was a big deal at the time, but sees it more clearly now.

He also agreed that with a growing viewership he understands that some folks will likely emulate his riding. He also stated that was not what he wanted nor expected. He didn't really ever think that his new success would have unforeseen consequences. He understands that he has some responsibility and needs to step up his game and seems to be doing just that.

He is really just trying to figure out how to make a living doing what he loves and figuring it out as he goes.

After all this went down I ran into him at OB and introduced myself. He was appreciative and we had a good conversation around the workday. He was nice, humble, and thanked me for reaching out to have a conversation.

It is easy to slam him, and I get that his edits aren't for everyone. But I think he is trying to make things right. We will see how it unfolds in the future.
    So, you touched the douche bag?

mtbr member

Right on.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    So, you touched the douche bag?

Get back under that bridge, troll. 👍🏻

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by motomike View Post
    Get back under that bridge, troll.

Pull your panties out sunshine. It’s a movie reference from Talladega Nights. Jeez, such a soft crowd.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Man, deep winter time or a really wet spring...this NC/SC MTBR board like