Taking my first trip (with kids) to Tsali, maybe Pisgah - have a couple of questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Taking my first trip (with kids) to Tsali, maybe Pisgah - have a couple of questions

I am taking my family wife, daughter (8), son (6) camping in North Carolina in late June or early July. This will be our first trip to the area. We're an active family and my goal is to enjoy a lot of what this area has to offer. Living in flat NW FL the hiking, MTB'ing, waterfalls, scenery, etc is what is high on the priority list. The plan is to spend 6 nights in NC - 3 close to Tsali (Tumbling Waters campground) and 3 close to Pisgah (Davidson River campground). My kids have been riding for 3 years and have been on several MTB trails including Tom Brown in Tallahassee, Oak Mtn in Bham and Woodring Branch close to Ellijay. Most of the trails they have been on are green/blue, and some have had decent drop offs on the sides. I'm wondering if there are any trails to definitely check out, trails to avoid...or just go somewhere completely different. As I mentioned, MTB'ing isn't the primary reason for the trip, but it's absolutely an activity we are all looking forward to. Any advice is much appreciated!

mtbr member
    If they had fun at Oak Mtn, then they should be ok with Tsali.

Also check out Jackrabbit which is an hour or so away in Hayesville.

Big Mac
    Yep, Tsali will be nice, and close to the nantahala River which offers family friendly white water. Pisgah is not terribly kid friendly, as far as bikes are concerned, although there are some options. Lots of waterfalls, swimming, and hiking. DuPont is close to DRC and super kid friendly and super duper waterfalls/swimming.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Glad you chose NC for your vacation. Hope you have a blast. Kids need that. They'll remember these days and appreciate you their whole life.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Leaving for our trip today...kids are all ready with their new Islabikes. Figured I would bump this up one last time. I've read that the Right Loop at Tsali is pretty good for kids, and the Davidson River Trail (only 1 mile) is good around DRC. We'll be hitting some of the local waterfalls in Pisgah (Moore's Cove, Sliding Rock, Looking Glass). Anything else in the Pisgah or Tsali area worth checking out?

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Watarski View Post
    Leaving for our trip today...kids are all ready with their new Islabikes. Figured I would bump this up one last time. I've read that the Right Loop at Tsali is pretty good for kids, and the Davidson River Trail (only 1 mile) is good around DRC. We'll be hitting some of the local waterfalls in Pisgah (Moore's Cove, Sliding Rock, Looking Glass). Anything else in the Pisgah or Tsali area worth checking out?
    Daniels ridge/cove creek offers a lot for a family. Waterfalls, swimming holes, hiking, and of course, biking. Lots of options in that area

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Strongly recommend Tsali. You can camp at Tsali Capground and ride right from the campsite to the trails. Our kids (8) and (6) loved it earlier this year. The sites are big, and the facilities are nice. The proximity to the Nantahala makes it a bonus. We rode trails in the mornings and took them down the river in our raft with friends in the afternoons. If you do the right-hand loop, there is a bailout a few miles in that has a small climb leading to a double-track road and back to the campground. The other side/set of the trails were pretty good too, but there was more effort involved.

rsa
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    When staying in Pisgah, consider a day trip to Dupont. It's 20-30 min away, and has family friendly biking trails as well as some great waterfalls.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    just spent a week up there, tsali is great, just watch out for ticks,

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    From Davidson campground you can ride the Estatoe trail into town or just down the river a ways to get to a good swimming hole. If the kids are good climbers you can also cross the road and ride Thrift Cove up as far as they feel comfortable. When they get too tired just turn around for a fun descent. Dupont is also a great suggestion.