Swank 65- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 40 of 40

Thread: Swank 65

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jnails's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    260

    Swank 65

    Can anybody tell me the course route for the Swank 65 coming up in November? I'm thinking about it, but I don't have the endurance now and wanted to start riding some of it to see if I can pull it off.

  2. #2
    Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Reputation: brado1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,326
    Quote Originally Posted by jnails
    Can anybody tell me the course route for the Swank 65 coming up in November? I'm thinking about it, but I don't have the endurance now and wanted to start riding some of it to see if I can pull it off.

    Same as it ever was...

    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/brado1/5015699998/" title="Swank65map by brado1, on Flickr"><img src="https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4092/5015699998_14a4308f47_b.jpg" width="946" height="1024" alt="Swank65map" /></a>

    Same Course every year

    <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/brado1/5015091767/" title="Swank Profile by brado1, on Flickr"><img src="https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4153/5015091767_fce77fce36_b.jpg" width="1024" height="285" alt="Swank Profile" /></a>

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    260
    Map and cue sheet is on their website.
    Tim

  4. #4

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeridesabike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,966
    The only race where the downhill is harder than the uphill.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

  6. #6
    consistent default champ
    Reputation: brownieinSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    747
    I am going to do it this year. I am not worried about my endurance, I am worried about Farlow Gap. I heard it is really technical downhill and with leaves on it from the fall it makes it even more "interesting". I guess I can walk it if necessary.

  7. #7
    Asheville YetiRider
    Reputation: Asheville YetiRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by brownieinSC
    I am going to do it this year. I am not worried about my endurance, I am worried about Farlow Gap. I heard it is really technical downhill and with leaves on it from the fall it makes it even more "interesting". I guess I can walk it if necessary.
    That's what most of the Pro's did last week. Well actually they Ran down with their bikes on the small parts they did not want to ride. That was with no leaves. It was JB's first time ever and he said he rode 95% of it. For a first time ever that does not even seem humanly possible to me.
    There are Mountain Bikes and then there is "The Santa Cruz High Ball"

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    103
    That rock drop on Farlow scares me. Even walking down it was hard. I think JB said he just rode it no problem (on his blog). I stopped riding when there were more rocks going downhill faster than me. I can't imagine racing on that.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
    - Abraham Lincoln

  9. #9
    Official Cooler Inspector
    Reputation: M-U-M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,652
    I aced it on a HD 7-spd, but that was many years ago. We had no idea what FS was and nature had not yet made it what it is today.
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jnails's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    260
    Thanks! Somehow I missed that cue part on their website and I couldn't make sense of the map

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeridesabike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,966
    Instead of racing this year, I thought I would just send Sam Koerber a check for $50 and cut out the middle man.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 4000psi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    776
    I love Farlow. That's where you can make up time on scared people that have more fitness than you. It is a great test of your technical skills. How else are you going to know how good they are if you don't put them to the test every once in awhile!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jnails's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by 4000psi
    I love Farlow. That's where you can make up time on scared people that have more fitness than you. It is a great test of your technical skills. How else are you going to know how good they are if you don't put them to the test every once in awhile!
    Yeah, I agree. I'm hoping to make up some time there as it isn't happening on the climbs. Of course by that time I may be delerious.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mike Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,289
    I can ride all of Farlow besides the creek crossings.
    My best time at the Swank, however, I did not try to ride- as soon as I started to really slow down so I could steer, I got off and started running. I also ran (quickly!) the middle climb. This was MUCH faster than riding.
    Just fwtw.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    119
    true. I have passed tons of folks while stomping up the gravel of Pilot Mtn Road, and usually only get passed by one or two while running down the techiest sections of Farlow. I never said I was a "good" mountain bike racer.
    If your ego can handle the whole dismounting issue, its not a bad tactic for the Swank.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jnails's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    260
    Is this a 65k race, meaning roughly 42 miles? That's way better then 65 miles I had originally thought. Way more doable, although still a death march given the terrain.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ridn29s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by jnails
    Is this a 65k race, meaning roughly 42 miles? That's way better then 65 miles I had originally thought. Way more doable, although still a death march given the terrain.
    It isn't quite 65k, only 38.4 miles by my GPS. Rest stops are pretty evenly spaced at ~10 miles.
    many gears, some pies

  18. #18
    Category Winner
    Reputation: teamdicky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    I can ride all of Farlow besides the creek crossings.
    My best time at the Swank, however, I did not try to ride- as soon as I started to really slow down so I could steer, I got off and started running. I also ran (quickly!) the middle climb. This was MUCH faster than riding.
    Just fwtw.

    Especially with the leaves. You can waste a lot of time trying to find lines or you can get off and run.

    Fun to ride, faster to run (that time of year).
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

    I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: extrmtao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,277
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky

    Fun to ride, faster to run (that time of year).
    Funnest to observe said riding and running that time of the year.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

    Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jnails's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    260
    For those that have ridden the Swank - the route directions say that the course goes up Cove Creek and then left onto 225 and then left onto daniel ridge - so at that point are we going in the clockwise direction or counter clockwise direction on daniel ridge?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ridn29s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by jnails
    For those that have ridden the Swank - the route directions say that the course goes up Cove Creek and then left onto 225 and then left onto daniel ridge - so at that point are we going in the clockwise direction or counter clockwise direction on daniel ridge?
    Clockwise. At the top of 225 you drop down the connector and hang a left onto Daniel Ridge. There's usually a volunteer there to keep you in the proper direction.
    many gears, some pies

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jnails's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by ridn29s
    Clockwise. At the top of 225 you drop down the connector and hang a left onto Daniel Ridge. There's usually a volunteer there to keep you in the proper direction.
    I've ridden some trails out there - daniel ridge and farlow gap, but is everything else on this course marked well? I've got a map, but didn't want to miss a tricky turn. I wanted to pre-ride the race route beforehand.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ridn29s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by jnails
    I've ridden some trails out there - daniel ridge and farlow gap, but is everything else on this course marked well? I've got a map, but didn't want to miss a tricky turn. I wanted to pre-ride the race route beforehand.
    It's not marked at all currently, other than what's left of markings from the stage race. But it isn't impossible to figure out... If I can get my kids 'watched' for some time on Sunday I'll be headed out to ride and could be talked into riding the first half of the course at least.

    Other than hitting the connector from 225 down to Daniel Ridge it's pretty easy to navigate really. After you cross the second bridge on 225 you'll ride for another few minutes and come around a big right hand turn into an overgrown clearing. There's no trail ahead. Look left in between some large trees and you will see the connector headed back downhill.
    many gears, some pies

  24. #24
    Pretty Hate Machine
    Reputation: Eddie Dingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by ridn29s
    other than what's left of markings from the stage race.
    That is NOT cool. How many markers are left in the forest from the stage race? Isn't that like, litter?

  25. #25
    drunken pirate
    Reputation: driftwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Dingle
    That is NOT cool. How many markers are left in the forest from the stage race? Isn't that like, litter?
    I hate to bait but... Random Kenda tape is all over the place. I've seen it on Cove Creek, 475B, Black Mtn., Bradley Creek, 1206.... Completely understandable considering the enormous amount used in the race . Here is what Broussard thinks about it:

    Last edited by driftwood; 09-28-2010 at 06:09 AM.
    More Trails, Not Less

    Adventures in Pisgah

  26. #26
    Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Reputation: brado1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,326
    Quote Originally Posted by driftwood
    I hate to bait but... Random Kenda tape is all over the place. I've it on Cove Creek, 475B, Black Mtn., Bradley Creek, 1206.... Completely understandable considering the enormous amount used in the race . Here is what Broussard thinks about it:

    Massaging his coxis? Disturbing or are those goldenrod anal beads you're pullin' outta yer butt?

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    85
    Jaegermeister will cure those tapeworms faster than natty ice.And don't forget the belladonna-opiate suppository to cure the burn.Keeping the T.P. in the freezer helps but only in the short term

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jnails's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by ridn29s
    It's not marked at all currently, other than what's left of markings from the stage race. But it isn't impossible to figure out... If I can get my kids 'watched' for some time on Sunday I'll be headed out to ride and could be talked into riding the first half of the course at least.

    Other than hitting the connector from 225 down to Daniel Ridge it's pretty easy to navigate really. After you cross the second bridge on 225 you'll ride for another few minutes and come around a big right hand turn into an overgrown clearing. There's no trail ahead. Look left in between some large trees and you will see the connector headed back downhill.
    I have to work Sunday, othewise I'd take you up on the ride. Probably gonna be a couple weeks before I get up there to ride it. That section from 225 to Daniel is the only part I'm not familiar with. Guess I'll figure it out, thanks for the tips. You able to ride during the week at all?

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    260
    I rode that section for the first time the other day- very straightforward. I may ride it during the week next week- I'll PM you if I do.
    Tim

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ridn29s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Dingle
    That is NOT cool. How many markers are left in the forest from the stage race? Isn't that like, litter?
    Well, the markings I was referring to were chalked on the ground. I imagine the recent rain removed them.
    many gears, some pies

  31. #31
    Professional Boat Guy
    Reputation: btalley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    15
    How bad is Farlow's Gap to climb?

  32. #32
    drunken pirate
    Reputation: driftwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,414
    Quote Originally Posted by btalley
    How bad is Farlow's Gap to climb?
    Moderate to start, big push to finish. Not too bad, really. 2 hours or so.
    More Trails, Not Less

    Adventures in Pisgah

  33. #33
    Professional Boat Guy
    Reputation: btalley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    15
    I am looking to go riding in this area, not ready to race this course. Looks like a nice place to ride. I have a Nat. Geo. map revised in 2003, has the mtb trail system changed much since then? any need for a new map? Looks like a lot of mtb trails accessable close by.

  34. #34
    drunken pirate
    Reputation: driftwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,414
    Quote Originally Posted by btalley
    I am looking to go riding in this area, not ready to race this course. Looks like a nice place to ride. I have a Nat. Geo. map revised in 2003, has the mtb trail system changed much since then? any need for a new map? Looks like a lot of mtb trails accessable close by.
    The 2003 map is more accurate than the 2009 version.
    More Trails, Not Less

    Adventures in Pisgah

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5
    I'm having issues paying another 100$ for a ride I can do anytime..Bragging rights, maybe?
    Does anyone have a line item cost for this race...most eveyrthing is donated, except time.
    oramm=40k
    swank 65=15k
    Where does all this go? that's HEAVY.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: extrmtao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,277
    Quote Originally Posted by msmbike
    I'm having issues paying another 100$ for a ride I can do anytime..Bragging rights, maybe?
    Does anyone have a line item cost for this race...most eveyrthing is donated, except time.
    oramm=40k
    swank 65=15k
    Where does all this go? that's HEAVY.

    YAY! The bashing begins.

    Pros: The races generate income, popularity, tourism and funds to trails we love the most**.

    Cons: The cost so don't do it if you don't have the money, come sit on the side of Farlow and heckle with the best heckler on the east coast.

    **Yes this might be overstated, false or generally inaccurate. These are highly sarcastic opinions and take them with a grain of salt.
    BS'ing less, riding more.

    Supporting PAS
    Upstate SORBA
    SORBA

  37. #37
    Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Reputation: brado1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,326
    Quote Originally Posted by msmbike
    I'm having issues paying another 100$ for a ride I can do anytime..Bragging rights, maybe?
    Does anyone have a line item cost for this race...most eveyrthing is donated, except time.
    oramm=40k
    swank 65=15k
    Where does all this go? that's HEAVY.
    You've obviously never put together a Race event

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeridesabike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,966
    You get free beer and a frozen hamburger (at least before it was cooked). Plus you get your name listed on cyclingnews.com, so you will be famous forever. I have swanked the last couple of years, but I think I will take this one off. On the serious side, Todd is not a non-profit organization, so don't blame him for charging what the market will bear. Like you said, you can ride it any other day for free. But suffering along with 150 of your closest friends is much more fun.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

  39. #39
    "Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Reputation: kkjellquist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike
    Todd is not a non-profit organization, so don't blame him for charging what the market will bear. Like you said, you can ride it any other day for free
    This is the answer...it's called supply and demand. Apparently the demand exists for $100+ Pisgah races because Todd's races always sell out. Good for him.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

  40. #40
    consistent default champ
    Reputation: brownieinSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    747
    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao
    YAY! The bashing begins.

    Pros: The races generate income, popularity, tourism and funds to trails we love the most**.

    Cons: The cost so don't do it if you don't have the money, come sit on the side of Farlow and heckle with the best heckler on the east coast.

    **Yes this might be overstated, false or generally inaccurate. These are highly sarcastic opinions and take them with a grain of salt.
    While you are heckling me can you also carry my bike down Farlow Gap? It was scary when I walked it Sunday without leaves.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.