Sunday hunting- Mtbr.com

Thread: Sunday hunting

Big Mac

Sunday hunting

Iím surprised this hasnít been brought up yet, but the wildlife commission is considering allowing hunting on game lands on Sundays. This includes Bent Creek, North Mills, and Pisgah proper. The commission is asking for public input, so please, input. Link to survey: Public Places
    Only takes a minute. For my uses, and my familyís, Sunday hunting would suck. For me, itís my biggest day on the bike in the woods, because of no hunting. I like having a day during hunting season thatís safe for me, the kids, the dog. Everybody.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    Done. Basically I commented that areas with popular trail systems should retain the Sunday prohibition on hunting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Iím surprised this hasnít been brought up yet, but the wildlife commission is considering allowing hunting on game lands on Sundays. This includes Bent Creek, North Mills, and Pisgah proper. The commission is asking for public input, so please, input. Link to survey: Public Places
    Only takes a minute. For my uses, and my familyís, Sunday hunting would suck. For me, itís my biggest day on the bike in the woods, because of no hunting. I like having a day during hunting season thatís safe for me, the kids, the dog. Everybody.

I put the link on Upstate SORBA's Facebook page and shared it to a few Upstate SC FB groups. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Thanks Timothy,
    ORAMM!!!!!

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    I put the link on Upstate SORBA's Facebook page and shared it to a few Upstate SC FB groups. Thanks for sharing.

Yah, thanks for putting it up. Hopefully people are commenting. Itís a great opportunity to have an actual impact.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Have responded supporting Sunday hunting. Just like you guys with big ride days on Sundays because you're free/off work, it sure does suck being a hunter and having Sunday off limits.

You guys can still ride, just like you do on Saturdays...wear bright colors and roll on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Have responded supporting Sunday hunting. Just like you guys with big ride days on Sundays because you're free/off work, it sure does suck being a hunter and having Sunday off limits.

You guys can still ride, just like you do on Saturdays...wear bright colors and roll on.
    Same here... I voted in support of Sunday hunting. I'd love to be able to hunt Sundays in Pisgah. Plus I know plenty of folk that hunt to supplement their grocery budget and losing a whole weekend day sucks.

We ride, hike, and share the forest 6 days of the week with hunters so one more day shouldn't be an issue.
    On your left!

Big Mac
    I guess we all have our own motivations, perspectives , and agendas. During hunting season, I ride at night during the week, and Sundayís on the weekend. For me itís nice to have a day in the woods that I donít have to be worried about bullets and what not. I avoid the woods on hunting Saturdays because of that. I work too, and losing a card free Sunday is a bummer. Itís too crowded out there. Anyway thanks for giving your opinions, even if theyíre wrong.

since 4/10/2009
    I guess my comment was somewhat moderate between the two expressed otherwise. I'm all for giving hunters somewhere to hunt on Sundays. But I'm also all for giving everyone else somewhere to go without disturbing hunters, if that's an experience they're after. Agreed that WNC trails get awful crowded at times (and certain places), and it's probably a good idea to identify the busiest places and give them a "no hunting" buffer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Not a NC resident, but I am surprised these ďBlue LawsĒ have withstood the courts this far. The motivation for not permitting hunting on Sunday is clearly of religious origin and if a challenge were ever to make it to the Supreme Court, I seriously doubt it would cut the mustard.

Now, if the land manger for whatever area of public land wishes to restrict hunting to certain days of the week, thatís not necessarily unreasonable. I have used heavily trafficked public lands that only allowed hunting on certain days of the week. Some areas limit mountain bikes to certain days.

I think any pragmatic change in the law would absolutely permit a person to legally hunt on private land on Sundays. (If you are going to have a statewide ďno hunting dayĒ, it should be a weekday. Public land could be managed on a case by case basis.

41 states allow hunting on Sundays. Iím quite sure it can be figured out. Iíve hunted public lands while other user groups recreated: boating, swimming, fishing, hiking, biking, dog walking etc. Iíve also recreated in some of the above ways during hunting season. Itís really only a big deal if you make it a big deal. The vast majority of user groups stay on trails, hunters usually hunt off of the trails (though, may use the trails as access) to get away from people just like the animals do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 101 View Post
    Not a NC resident, but I am surprised these ďBlue LawsĒ have withstood the courts this far. The motivation for not permitting hunting on Sunday is clearly of religious origin and if a challenge were ever to make it to the Supreme Court, I seriously doubt it would cut the mustard.

Now, if the land manger for whatever area of public land wishes to restrict hunting to certain days of the week, thatís not necessarily unreasonable. I have used heavily trafficked public lands that only allowed hunting on certain days of the week. Some areas limit mountain bikes to certain days.

I think any pragmatic change in the law would absolutely permit a person to legally hunt on private land on Sundays. (If you are going to have a statewide ďno hunting dayĒ, it should be a weekday. Public land could be managed on a case by case basis.

41 states allow hunting on Sundays. Iím quite sure it can be figured out. Iíve hunted public lands while other user groups recreated: boating, swimming, fishing, hiking, biking, dog walking etc. Iíve also recreated in some of the above ways during hunting season. Itís really only a big deal if you make it a big deal. The vast majority of user groups stay on trails, hunters usually hunt off of the trails (though, may use the trails as access) to get away from people just like the animals do.
    We can already hunt Sundays on private land, except for 930-1230 and not within a couple hundred feet of places of worship or something like that. So there is still a semblance of blue laws. Same idiosyncrasies will apply to any public land Sunday hunting.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    I guess we all have our own motivations, perspectives , and agendas. During hunting season, I ride at night during the week, and Sundayís on the weekend. For me itís nice to have a day in the woods that I donít have to be worried about bullets and what not. I avoid the woods on hunting Saturdays because of that. I work too, and losing a card free Sunday is a bummer. Itís too crowded out there. Anyway thanks for giving your opinions, even if theyíre wrong.
    Well I'm certainly not going to tell you you're wrong, but here are a couple considerations that lead me to my conclusion.

Our rifle season in WNC is pitifully short. I'm talking 3 weeks. Sure, black powder is another 2 weeks, but many fewer folks do that. Most of the season is bow or small game gunners only. So if a MTB'er says to me he needs his Sundays, I say, bro, we got all year to shred the trails. As a hunter, I'm asking for a couple Sundays of the year, can we compromise?

Shark bite syndrome. You're going to get hit by a car or break your neck on the bike way before we choot ya. I think people hear about some really tragic stories and assume surely it'll be them next, but,,,,,it probably won't be. Leave the deer costume at home, wear some bright colors, and get on with it.

We have such a low deer population as it is (more yogi's than bambi's!), and so many riders, that you ain't going to see many folks on the front range trails. I have sat that field around Thrift/Lower Black. What a joke that was. It just made me want to ride my bike, seeing no deer and riders zip by up the ridge!

You'd still have Dupont hunter free (most of it)

Proposal wouldn't allow hunting 930-1230, so you got a solid ride time if you're really too skerred of the boom boom.

I guess I'm curious if you modify your riding times during Jan/Feb (small game still in season) and then in April/May (gobble gobble!). What about early October, when bear season comes in. Pisgah Double Dare is during hunting season for bear, deer (archery), and squirrel. Fall in general is pilgrimage time to Pisgah. Couch Potato happens on some of the better Ranger District hunting lands on a Saturday right around the rut. PMBAR is on a Saturday in high turkey season. Genuinely curious, not trying to be an azz. I wonder if PAS has some game camera counts to shed some light here. Like is that a thing? Do most people not ride the beautiful 60į November days because it's bow season?

For full disclosure, I ride bikes way more than I hunt. I am a silly full face wearing, begoggled, bro brah trying crankflips in the parking lot. I just like to try and get a deer in the fall and eat it. That's where I am coming from.

mtbr member
    Well I'm certainly not going to tell you you're wrong, but here are a couple considerations that lead me to my conclusion.

Our rifle season in WNC is pitifully short. I'm talking 3 weeks. Sure, black powder is another 2 weeks, but many fewer folks do that. Most of the season is bow or small game gunners only. So if a MTB'er says to me he needs his Sundays, I say, bro, we got all year to shred the trails. As a hunter, I'm asking for a couple Sundays of the year, can we compromise?

Shark bite syndrome. You're going to get hit by a car or break your neck on the bike way before we choot ya. I think people hear about some really tragic stories and assume surely it'll be them next, but,,,,,it probably won't be. Leave the deer costume at home, wear some bright colors, and get on with it.

We have such a low deer population as it is (more yogi's than bambi's!), and so many riders, that you ain't going to see many folks on the front range trails. I have sat that field around Thrift/Lower Black. What a joke that was. It just made me want to ride my bike, seeing no deer and riders zip by up the ridge!

You'd still have Dupont hunter free (most of it)

Proposal wouldn't allow hunting 930-1230, so you got a solid ride time if you're really too skerred of the boom boom.

I guess I'm curious if you modify your riding times during Jan/Feb (small game still in season) and then in April/May (gobble gobble!). What about early October, when bear season comes in. Pisgah Double Dare is during hunting season for bear, deer (archery), and squirrel. Fall in general is pilgrimage time to Pisgah. Couch Potato happens on some of the better Ranger District hunting lands on a Saturday right around the rut. Genuinely curious, not trying to be an azz. I wonder if PAS has some game camera counts to shed some light here. Like is that a thing? Do most people not ride the beautiful 60į November days because it's bow season?

For full disclosure, I ride bikes way more than I hunt. I am a silly full face wearing, begoggled, bro brah trying crankflips in the parking lot. I just like to try and get a deer in the fall and eat it. That's where I am coming from.
    This is basically how it's done in Clemson Experimental Forest. Hunting season is only for a few months, so let hunters have the forest for that time. MTB'ers have full access to all of it 9 months a year. Ride those areas off limits to hunting. Not a big deal.

Hopefully the best thing that survey does is give them plenty of info on who uses the forest, for what, and when.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I guess I'm curious if you modify your riding times during... April/May (gobble gobble!).
    That's the one people should really be freaked out about riding in. If I'm not chasing a tom then I'm not going to be anywhere near a location where others are.

Oh, and cue the Avid brake jokes...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Big Mac

Sunday hunting

The wildlife commission had biological reasons to extend gun season for deer, but the push back from hunters was strong because it eliminated some of the ďtraditionalĒ home hunting days. Gun season for dear is the only season that concerns me. Itís popular and brings about every Daryl and Daryl, and their sons, Daryl. And I realize that most hunters are responsible enough to not shoot me. But all of them ainít and I enjoy a gun free day. I also understand the perspective of a hunter. Iím just giving mine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post
    That's the one people should really be freaked out about riding in. If I'm not chasing a tom then I'm not going to be anywhere near a location where others are.

LOL. Yes, the coveted Pisgah Turkey brake gobble.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckerjt07 View Post

Why? The rounds turkey hunters use don't have the kind of range or energy as what deer hunters use.

I'll admit, I come from an area where deer densities are HIGH, and public lands are limited (Indiana). The available land to hunt on gets really tight during deer gun season, and issues with stray rounds do come up. People trying to recreate at all in land where hunting is permitted are exposed to outright hostility from hunters. I lived in PA for awhile, and having more huntable land didn't matter much. I knew people who would hide in their basements because stray rounds hit their homes often.

I haven't seen those problems here in NC, but I haven't lived here as long. I do feel, though, that there should be places that everyone can go, that aren't too terribly geographically separated from where they might live. Saying that most of dupont is free of hunters is not quite what I would call sufficient.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Why? The rounds turkey hunters use don't have the kind of range or energy as what deer hunters use.

I'll admit, I come from an area where deer densities are HIGH, and public lands are limited (Indiana). The available land to hunt on gets really tight during deer gun season, and issues with stray rounds do come up. People trying to recreate at all in land where hunting is permitted are exposed to outright hostility from hunters. I lived in PA for awhile, and having more huntable land didn't matter much. I knew people who would hide in their basements because stray rounds hit their homes often.

I haven't seen those problems here in NC, but I haven't lived here as long. I do feel, though, that there should be places that everyone can go, that aren't too terribly geographically separated from where they might live. Saying that most of dupont is free of hunters is not quite what I would call sufficient.

If there is a group of hunters that fit the Elmer Fudd firing off rounds stereotype it's turkey hunters. There's also the fundamental differences in how one goes about hunting the two.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I know what you mean here but energy, whooooo doggy, you ever shot a 3.5" turkey round? That'll about tear your shoulder off. I'd shoot a 0.270 all day long before a dozen turkey loads!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I know what you mean here but energy, whooooo doggy, you ever shot a 3.5" turkey round? That'll about tear your shoulder off. I'd shoot a 0.270 all day long before a dozen turkey loads!

Exactly plus turkey hunters are much more trigger happy.

since 4/10/2009

Yeah, I own a Remington 12ga with both a rifled barrel for deer (no deer rifle hunting in Indiana where my father purchased it decades ago, this was the prevalent gun season option there) and a smooth bore barrel and set of chokes for various shot. Yes, the gun itself puts out lots of energy, but the shot itself loses lots of energy fast once you fire it. This gun practically put me on my ass when I learned to shoot with it.

Even with sabot slugs and the rifled barrel, you are doing DAMN well to hit anything at 100yds...it would be what you'd call a brush gun. Not so good for hunting in the open, esp at range. But great in thick woods. The slugs pack some punch at shorter range, but shot disperses a ton of energy fast and has even less range.

I am less concerned with turkey hunters, and always have been. Deer gun season has always sketched me out. To the point that in some places, I didn't even want to hunt certain public lands. That may be different here, but it is always in my mind, and I like having options for places to go during hunting season. I liked that many popular areas for outdoor rec in other parts of the country would not follow the regular hunting season dates. Rather, a narrower time and a special lottery were done for those areas. And the area would be closed to everyone except hunters who got tags for that special hunt. Sometimes they'd be archery only, if they were in urban areas. Other times not, if farther from the city.

When I lived in TX, hunting regs would change in some counties from year to year, based on population assessments done by biologists in the year prior. Some counties might close to a specific type of hunting for the year if the population needed a break. Sometimes it would be groups of counties.

mtbr member
    I- and my wife- have had some very negative experiences with irresponsible or creepy hunters. She's gone to find a private place to pee, squatted, looked up, and there's a dude with a gun in camo watching her silently

That's really not cool.

We also had a group of bear hunters- illegally running dogs chasing them in trucks through the woods off 140-A- tree a bear in front of her and shoot it from below the road across her path of travel. Their "crossfire" was no more than 10 yards forward of her position I was about 100 yards in front of her and another truck full of hunters was stopping me from going back towards her- I had turned around because of the ruckus- guns in hand.

Sure, she had stopped, but that is such irresponsible, reckless use of firearms, I can't even say it. Plus, watching a bear get shot, instantly opened up, and cheering the dogs on as they disemboweled it, while breaking the law driving trucks through the woods- also really not cool.

I am 1000% pro hunting. We would not have our public lands without the hunting lobby and I view them as allies. And I continue to ride all days during hunting season, dressed way bright.

But, it's incidents like these that make me glad that there's one day that we don't have to worry about it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    I- and my wife- have had some very negative experiences with irresponsible or creepy hunters. She's gone to find a private place to pee, squatted, looked up, and there's a dude with a gun in camo watching her silently

That's really not cool.

We also had a group of bear hunters- illegally running dogs chasing them in trucks through the woods off 140-A- tree a bear in front of her and shoot it from below the road across her path of travel. Their "crossfire" was no more than 10 yards forward of her position I was about 100 yards in front of her and another truck full of hunters was stopping me from going back towards her- I had turned around because of the ruckus- guns in hand.

Sure, she had stopped, but that is such irresponsible, reckless use of firearms, I can't even say it. Plus, watching a bear get shot, instantly opened up, and cheering the dogs on as they disemboweled it, while breaking the law driving trucks through the woods- also really not cool.

I am 1000% pro hunting. We would not have our public lands without the hunting lobby and I view them as allies. And I continue to ride all days during hunting season, dressed way bright.

But, it's incidents like these that make me glad that there's one day that we don't have to worry about it.

Ya that sounds terrible. Really. I've also come across some wacko's. Years ago climbing Mill Creek, there was a guy sitting in a lazy-boy in the back of a pick up truck ripping up the road. When he saw a squirrel, he'd holler, they driver would stop, and bang. Just so irresponsible!

Like bikes who are jerks and risk losing bike access, I hate hearing about hunters being jerks and risking hunting access.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If this doesn't pass, would you guys support a bow-on-Sundays-only bill? Basically everything about the current bill, but no firearms?

Big Mac
    If this doesn't pass, would you guys support a bow-on-Sundays-only bill? Basically everything about the current bill, but no firearms?
    Yes. Bow season doesnít bother me, as bow hunters are typically way more responsible. Arrows are expensive.

since 4/10/2009
    I don't have a problem with that at all