Suggestions for riding near Cary- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Suggestions for riding near Cary

I'm going to be in Cary over Easter weekend and would like to get out and ride on Friday 4/19. I'd prefer to stay relatively close, within an hour's drive. Something XC oriented, not super technical if at all possible.

Chilling out
    I'm relatively new to the area and only limited trail sampling, but sounds like Brumley Forest would be right up your alley. Easy access off i40 so should be pretty easy to get to from Cary I would think.

https://www.trianglemtb.com/mobiletrailstatus.php

Drill the link for info on the trail and directions and such.

Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks. Great resource. I had hit that site, but hadn't found that page.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Crabtree will probably be the closest. Brumley is a fun flowly trail. As mentioned, just checkout TMTB and see whats open. Pretty much everything on the trail status page will be within an hour of Cary. Pretty much all of them are XC trails, with Crab, Forest Ridge and Brumley being the easier (but still fun) trails. Beaver Dam, Brumley and Crab probably have the most miles. Forest Ridge and RTP probably the least. New Light is only open on Sundays at that time.

San Lee is probably the best in the area, however it is probably the farthest away from Cary (30-45 minutes one way). Great xc singletrack and also a nice "gravity" area with some short runs with jumps and banked turns. Really a great mix of old school xc, newer style trail riding and some fun flowly jump lines.

mtbr member
    Crabtree is a great XC style trail, and is in Raleigh. Some "hidden" trails there, too (you didn't hear it from me)...but whats on the map is a blast for fast and fun. Go there. Brumley is my favorite; fast and flowy, but is a further drive from Raleigh. San Lee can be brutal on a hardtail. Not my cup of tea. Enjoy yoself!
    "Caught my first tube this morning....sir!"

mtbr member
    May 2006
    So, Thursday night, Friday and Saturday all have a chance of showers. Any thoughts on where to ride if there has been precipitation? Or, should I just bring the road bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You could ride New Light on Sun for sure, rain or no. There is a group ride that starts in the parking lot around 9ish. NL is a more technical trail for sure, but still XC. A couple of decent rock gardens, some tough, but short climbs and some short chossy downhills. Its a good idea to link up with that group ride if you can. Mainly because they are a great group to ride with, but also because there are a few places you can get turned around. It is currently only open on Sundays.

Other than that, check the tmtb link posted above and see whats open. Depending on the rain amount and location, something might be open. If nothing is open, there are other options, however I don't really recommend them without someone to guide you, as it is easy to get turned around in pretty much all the bandits.

We have some decent greenway riding and Umstead has a good amount of gravel-ish grinding. Those would be options as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Matty - even New Light was closed last Sunday, and with strong storms forecasted again for Friday and possibly Saturday it may well be closed again this Sunday.

Dan - I'd recommend you bring a road/cross bike with the fattest tires you can fit and do a few laps on the fire roads at Umstead.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    THanks. I'll throw the 40s on the cross bike and head over there. It looks like it's close enough to ride from where I'll be, so that is probably the best choice anyhow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011