Suggest me a long XC trail in WNC!- Mtbr.com
    Super Moderator SuperModerator

Suggest me a long XC trail in WNC!

I want to do a long cross country trail here in wnc. Could you recommend me one please?

mtbr member
    What is your idea of long?
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    What is your idea of long?
    20 miles plus?

mtbr member
    XC?

Tsali or Warrior Creek.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Combine a lap at Warrior Creek with an out and back on OVT and that is over 30 miles.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

western NC
    Might be a dumb question, but if you're in the Asheville area, why not just combine trails at DuPont, Bent Creek, etc to make 20+ miles? I wouldn't drive out here to ride Tsali if I had all that in my backyard, and I like Tsali quite a bit.

Yes, I'm in Asheville. I rode most of the bent creek already. I guess what I'm looking for is a one long trail. I haven't been to DuPont yet, but I do plan on heading that way soon.

Big Mac

I recommend the pacific crest trail. It's very long. Or the kokopelli.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You need to ride Dupont. Let me google that for you

Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    I recommend the pacific crest trail. It's very long. Or the kokopelli.
    That's what I'm looking for, but it's nowhere near NC

Quote Originally Posted by radred View Post
    You need to ride Dupont. Let me google that for you
    Got a whole week off for Christmas. I think I'll hit DuPont.

western NC
    DuPont is fantastic, it's my favorite out your way. Make sure you have a map, or a tour guide, it would be easy to get lost in there IMO. I'm trapped for all of tax season, but if you still want to come ride Tsali come spring, let me know and I'll show you around. It's good stuff in it's own way, and my favorite local trails.

I love Pisgah
    Besides whats mentioned, theres 260+ miles at nearby Pisgah. All you'll ever want, and then some. Bring your legs.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman View Post
    Besides whats mentioned, theres 260+ miles at nearby Pisgah. All you'll ever want, and then some. Bring your legs.
    This. If you want miles, Pisgah is the place to be. But it's not "one" long trail. You'll have to link them together. But yeah, bring your legs.

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMtBiker View Post
    Yes, I'm in Asheville. I rode most of the bent creek already. I guess what I'm looking for is a one long trail. I haven't been to DuPont yet, but I do plan on heading that way soon.
    Nothing here is really "one" trail that's long. Two things I'd suggest, given what you already know:

1. Start stacking loops that take you out of Bent Creek: ride the whole north side (up Ingles, down GL or Hickory), then go up Bent Creek Gap. From there, add in a trip up Spencer and down Spencer or Trace, then back up the road to Bent Creek. That adds a good chunk of distance. If you need more, stack more loops: add Yellow Gap and a Laurel/Pilot loop and now you'll be busy all day.

2. Grab the maps for local events: The 55/111, ORAMM, Jerdon Mountain Challenge, etc. Look at their distances and results to get an idea of how long to budget.

mtbr member

Good job! A long trail in WNC?

Heartbreak Ridge.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman View Post
    Pizguh riding is "cross country" in the literal sense. As in your riding across some sort of land and it has navigable trail to follow. I guess I've always thought of it as something more. Its so much more challenging and awesome than any other place in WNC so it should have its own category. Cross Gnar? Gnar Country? Cross Gnar Gnar Rad #enduro country?

Either way you can ride for a very long time and never double up on trails. You would have to ride a bit of gravel to piece stuff together but its great fun out there. Dupont is similar but much easier and not as fun...
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I want to do a long cross country trail here in wnc. Could you recommend me one please?
    This is a really good long ride, it hits most of the really good spots but also includes deserted areas of the park like Joanna Rd: http://www.dupontforest.com/pdf/EpicRide.pdf

Note that most any Dupont ride on Corn Mill Shoals is going to require a creek crossing that can be sketchy in times of high water flow and/or cold temperatures. Just be prepared for it and don't try to do anything stupid like ride across it.

The descents on Ridgeline and Airstrip are must-dos, as is the new Hickory Mtn Loop.

Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    This is a really good long ride, it hits most of the really good spots but also includes deserted areas of the park like Joanna Rd: http://www.dupontforest.com/pdf/EpicRide.pdf

Note that most any Dupont ride on Corn Mill Shoals is going to require a creek crossing that can be sketchy in times of high water flow and/or cold temperatures. Just be prepared for it and don't try to do anything stupid like ride across it.

The descents on Ridgeline and Airstrip are must-dos, as is the new Hickory Mtn Loop.
    Thank you! Sounds like something I'd enjoy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Lots of them. Art Loeb, shut in, Appalachian, mountains to sea, just to name a few.
    Don't quote me on the exact mileages, but these are close. Pisgah District has over 400 miles of trail (most of which are really old roads or timber extraction routes) and 200 are open to bikes.

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    Pisgah Area Sorba - Web Site Communications
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Don't quote me on the exact mileages, but these are close. Pisgah District has over 400 miles of trail (most of which are really old roads or timber extraction routes) and 200 are open to bikes.
    Where can I find them?

Thanks guys. You've been a real help!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    DuPont is fantastic, it's my favorite out your way. Make sure you have a map, or a tour guide, it would be easy to get lost in there IMO.
    Gotta disagree slightly with your comment on getting lost. Agree on getting a map. But the trails there are so well marked (each and every intersection...and there are dozens) that it's nearly impossible to get lost.

I picked up a map at the Hub and was easily able to hit every trail I wanted and connect all the loops I wanted without a guide or a local. Instead, I posted hear with a question about people's favorite trails in the area. I took that list, grabbed my map, and figured out a route that hit most of the good ones. Easy peasy.

Pisgah, on the other hand, I'm getting a local!

Big Mac

Where can I find them?
    A PNF map.

western NC
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    Gotta disagree slightly with your comment on getting lost. Agree on getting a map. But the trails there are so well marked (each and every intersection...and there are dozens) that it's nearly impossible to get lost.

I picked up a map at the Hub and was easily able to hit every trail I wanted and connect all the loops I wanted without a guide or a local. Instead, I posted hear with a question about people's favorite trails in the area. I took that list, grabbed my map, and figured out a route that hit most of the good ones. Easy peasy.

Pisgah, on the other hand, I'm getting a local!
    You just haven't witnessed my superior getting lost skills. LOL

Rogue Exterminator
    I hear lots of people claim DuPont is easy to get lost at and I always disagree. Sure, if you have never been there and don't have a map it is easy to get lost then but I wouldn't go on any trail system out here without a map until I learned it.

Still couldn't lead a soul around Bent Creek myself. I can go out there without a map and find my back but ask me how to get some place I will scratch my head. Yet, I have come fairly knowledgeable about Pisgah Proper.

I guess it is all what you ride.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    DuPont - just go ride for 2-3 hours. Leave the map in your pack and go with the flow, nice rhythm climb then a silky decent, repeat. About 30 to 45 minutes before you need to be back to your car pull out the map and find your way back. It is very compact and you would have to work hard to get lost.

Pisgah - it has it all, you can have easy-breezy and world class balls-to-the-walls riding within the same 2-4 hour ride. At average fitness expect about 5-6 miles an hour and keep in mind there can be a lot of variables depending on route. Just bring a map, expect some gravel and start off in the AM if you are planning on an epic ride this time of year, you may need the extra time in case you get turned around. But if you have basic way finding skills with a map even Pisgah is not the big bad wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    I hear lots of people claim DuPont is easy to get lost at and I always disagree. Sure, if you have never been there and don't have a map it is easy to get lost then but I wouldn't go on any trail system out here without a map until I learned it.

Still couldn't lead a soul around Bent Creek myself. I can go out there without a map and find my back but ask me how to get some place I will scratch my head. Yet, I have come fairly knowledgeable about Pisgah Proper.

I guess it is all what you ride.
    I learned most of Bent Creek without a map. Just took random trails and saw where they lead me. Then I printed a map from online and learned the rest. I have yet to do a couple more trails to complete my Bent Creek.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by pisgahrider View Post
    Just bring a map, expect some gravel and start off in the AM if you are planning on an epic ride this time of year, you may need the extra time in case you get turned around. But if you have basic way finding skills with a map even Pisgah is not the big bad wolf.
    After what happened to me a little over week ago I won't go back in Pisgah without at least a flashlight. Accident on black before turkey pen causing my shoulder to dislocate. We had to hike out and it was slow. Riding out we would have had plenty of daylight but we barely made it out hiking with daylight.

Point is be prepared in Pisgah because you never know what could happen.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Where can you find the actual trails, the inventory of said trails, or a map that shows all this? I am working off of memory of a list of trails I got many years back doing volunteer work for the district. I am certain I have it in a file at home in NC, but I am in Bend OR till fall 2015.

Where can I find them?

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Where can you find the actual trails, the inventory of said trails, or a map that shows all this? I am working off of memory of a list of trails I got many years back doing volunteer work for the district. I am certain I have it in a file at home in NC, but I am in Bend OR till fall 2015.
    Inventory of bike legal trails? The Nat Geo map lists them, as does, I think, the maps from Blue Ridge maps(?).