Sugar Mtn DH- Mtbr.com

Thread: Sugar Mtn DH

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Sugar Mtn DH

Some chatter about Sugar opening up for DH is starting to trickle through and obviously not trying to keep it secret, video here: Hiking & Biking Trails - Sugar Mountain Resort

Sugar_Brad or others, more details? What's the vision there and what are they hoping to have ready for shreddy in 2016?

Very much looking forward to this!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Fun course. It would be nice to have a few more trails out there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    It would be nice to hear about how they've moved beyond the half assed phase of their relationship with bikes. More than one trail? Trails for different skill levels? Good communication?
    Doubt it will all happen.
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Warden
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Doubt it will all happen.
    Me too....a source of a source of a source mentioned it's actually not happening and the video in the link is the several year old trail that they ran some big races on years and years ago.

Who knows. Maybe one day. Beech and Bailey will get more and more of my money this season, per the norm. Love me some Beech.

mtbr member
    Nothing has been said about it yet. A lot of Lizard's lane was destroyed during construction. This is just my opinion: This winter was less than ideal so don't expect a new trail system any time soon. Again nothing has been said.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    Nothing has been said about it yet. A lot of Lizard's lane was destroyed during construction. This is just my opinion: This winter was less than ideal so don't expect a new trail system any time soon. Again nothing has been said.
    Any updates Brad? Thanks

mtbr member
    Currently the top of the DH trail, Donovan's Dungeon, all of the Super D, and Lizards Lane are open. The Water trail is also open. There currently isn't a way to load bikes onto either the new Summit lift or Gunther's Way lift.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    Currently the top of the DH trail, Donovan's Dungeon, all of the Super D, and Lizards Lane are open. The Water trail is also open. There currently isn't a way to load bikes onto either the new Summit lift or Gunther's Way lift.
    Not that I am optimistic about DH at Sugar, but you don't have to necessarily have a formal bike loading system. Massanutten for example just lets you hold it with both wheels on the seat. Not the most comfortable way to do it, but it works fine IMO. And speaking of Massanutten, they're supposed to have a legit trail system ready by this summer, so it will be interesting to see if they modify anything to make the bike loading process more efficient.

But again, it sounds like the Sugar management has no real interest in providing real DH bike access or trails. That's too bad, but I'd also guess they do not see it as a profitable opportunity.

mtbr member
    Their insurance requires a proper loading system. With the huge investment of the new lifts they are obviously investing more in winter activities.