Sugar Mountain 2018 plans- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Sugar Mountain 2018 plans

I know this was touched on in another thread briefly, but thought I'd start another one to discuss it specifically.

I recall visiting a few years ago and being told all the riding trails at Sugar were closed/damaged by the new lift install, although some local folks indicated they could still be ridden, the lift would not be running. The general indication I got was that it was unlikely to reopen again, so it's cool that appears to have changed.

Past aside, it appears that Sugar is re-opening both the XC and DH courses. I've seen Brad post a little bit of information in the Beech thread, but thought it would merit it's own thread as opening day is coming up on June 30.

My understanding is that the DH trails were damaged/impacted by the lift install a few years ago, requiring reroutes, and Brad made a post about a new green trail being built. I don't know anything about the status of the XC trails aside from a 2016 map posted on the press release.

What can we expect from Sugar this year in terms of trail difficulty and availability, for both XC and DH? I'm anxious to hear more details about what they are doing up there!

mtbr member
    May 2018
    We will have a full service shop and sugar will have lift access riding with revamped trails!

mtbr member
    Keep an eye on their website for more details. PJ and the trail crew are doing an awesome job and are working hard to be open the last weekend in June. Be patient and make sure to come out and support the park!

mtbr member
    They are plugging away on an easier trail off the top of the mountain right now. The old DH race track has had some love and is looking good. Should be a fun summer!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Did they bulldoze Donovans?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_riddler View Post
    Did they bulldoze Donovans?
    They did some drainage work but no, they didn't "bulldoze" it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I meant literally when they built the new slope...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_riddler View Post
    I meant literally when they built the new slope...
    Gunther's Way is further to the North. The sections affected by construction were under the main lift and the lower section of Lizard's Lane. These sections have obviosly been focal points for the trail crew. Donovan's Dungeon was not damaged from construction of the new lift or slope.

mtbr member
    donovans dungeon is rowdy as ever.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

mtbr member
    That's the Doppelmayr version of what Massanutten uses. I have heard good things about the Doppelmayr system from other resorts that use it.

Edit: It's the same Alpim system that Massanutten uses my mistake. The system works a lot better on a detach lift opposed to a fixed grip.
    Last edited by Sugar_Brad; 07-03-2018 at 04:57 PM.

mtbr member
    I had the privilege of riding at Sugar the past couple of days. PJ, Jake, Andrew, and Erich along with the year round crew have done an amazing job with the trail system. There is something for every rider to enjoy. We are really fortunate to have multiple bike parks in the High Country so get off the forums and come ride!

mtbr member
    Awesome to hear. Headed over this Friday to check it out!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NCBigHit View Post
    Awesome to hear. Headed over this Friday to check it out!
    The weather looks good. Have fun!

mtbr member
    The trails at Sugar are fun. Spent most of my first time there riding the whoops section on the green trail. Rode the blue trail once. Donovans is a big hell no with the Hardtail. Not doing big drops.

mtbr member
    Sugar far exceeded our expectations--it was positively awesome. The lift is fantastic and the lifties loaded our bikes for us--system works just fine. Trails are great and run well dry or wet. Had a chance to talk for a while with PJ the head builder and they are about to open another natural "single black" trail from the top--I snuck a peak at the top sections and it looks bad ass. Sounds like Sugar actually has a bunch more space to work with than it would seem and there are plans for another blue line and a jump line next season.

I think the youtube videos do that place zero justice. The old race course is similar to what it had been but has some fun jumps and cool options--def want to go back and work on that more. The blue course is a great mix of drifty berms, natural tight slick single track and some fun whoops and jumps--we lapped this out a bunch when the rains came and made the black trail a bit dicey. Never made it over to the green trail since we were having so much fun on the other stuff. Even the long flat appearing run out once you finish with the steeper top of the mountain is a blast. PJ has it taped really well and it's burning in with a few ruts, some rough loose turns, etc. I enjoyed trying to sneak inside lines and drift the wet bits--blew the tape a few times and really had fun playing on that section.

I can't wait to go back and ride that stuff again and to try the new trail. If you were on the fence about going, I'd definitely check it out.