Stumphouse Tunnel Trail System planned for Walhalla?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    86

    Stumphouse Tunnel Trail System planned for Walhalla?

    So I've heard about new trails opening in Walhalla around the Stumphouse Tunnel area. Anyone know details? Estimated completion date/opening date? Who is doing the trail work? Length of the trail system?

    Really any details would be appreciated!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Timothy G. Parrish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,334
    Yes. I'm personally involved in this. Palmetto Conservation Foundation is building 20ish miles of multi-use, and a few mountain biking only trails on Stumphouse Tunnel property owned by City of Walhalla. They broke ground in November. I have meeting in Walhalla tomorrow evening.

    The Palmetto Trail is also being re-routed below HWY 11 through USFS land to connect a bunch of additional trail systems planned along HWY 11.

    Benchmark Trails was awarded the contract for Stumphouse.

    See screenshot of preliminary plan circa February 2016.

    Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Timothy G. Parrish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,334
    Per meeting in Walhalla last night, first 2 or so miles will open by March, weather permitting. This will be the beginner sections.

    Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mike Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,289
    Really awesome stuff Tim. My parents live on the north side of Seneca, can't wait to check it out.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Timothy G. Parrish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,334
    Big things coming to that area long term. Almost all thanks to Palmetto Conservation Foundation.

    Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    86
    Awesome... thanks for the killer info! Got any details to share on the Highway 11 stuff thats planned? I feel like I heard something a while back in a Pinkbike article about a long descent out there?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Timothy G. Parrish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,334
    Quote Originally Posted by SCxXxMTB View Post
    Awesome... thanks for the killer info! Got any details to share on the Highway 11 stuff thats planned? I feel like I heard something a while back in a Pinkbike article about a long descent out there?
    Yes. Too much to type. I encourage you to come to the next Upstate SORBA meeting/social. Follow them on FB. The trail mentioned in PB is not and will never be open to bikes. I wish that had never been included in the article.

    Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Timothy G. Parrish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,334
    https://www.facebook.com/events/148357962501454/?ti=cl

    Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    3

    Walhalla Mtb trail

    Quote Originally Posted by SCxXxMTB View Post
    So I've heard about new trails opening in Walhalla around the Stumphouse Tunnel area. Anyone know details? Estimated completion date/opening date? Who is doing the trail work? Length of the trail system?

    Really any details would be appreciated!
    I'm part of the crew benchmarktrails the Mtb specialist. We are building the stumphouse Mtb trail a section of the Palmetto Trail. Phase 1 of the trail a 5 mile section is scheduled to be open April 23rd. Phase 2 will be started next week. Check out my instagram for updates, knarly berm photos and daily trail activity! @standard_trailrider33

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Standard_trailrider View Post
    I'm part of the crew benchmarktrails the Mtb specialist. We are building the stumphouse Mtb trail a section of the Palmetto Trail. Phase 1 of the trail a 5 mile section is scheduled to be open April 23rd. Phase 2 will be started next week. Check out my instagram for updates, knarly berm photos and daily trail activity! @standard_trailrider33
    Very cool man! Looking forward to it and I'm gonna add your instagram now. Can't wait to see everything. I'm assuming it's mostly going to be XC style, but what is going to be the longest sustained descent once everything is said and done? Also, whats the total mileage going to be? Either way I'm just pumped for new trails. Thanks for the hard work!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by SCxXxMTB View Post
    Very cool man! Looking forward to it and I'm gonna add your instagram now. Can't wait to see everything. I'm assuming it's mostly going to be XC style, but what is going to be the longest sustained descent once everything is said and done? Also, whats the total mileage going to be? Either way I'm just pumped for new trails. Thanks for the hard work!
    You'll be very suprised phase 1 is more for novice riders but there is still plenty of flow. Big berms, rock gardens, rollers, tables and more! Almost done with phase 1. Phase 2 will have more gaps and Knarly riding. stay tuned! @standard_trailrider33 #benchmarktrails #mtbtrail # palmettotrail #wallhalla #flowtrail #mtb

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Standard_trailrider View Post
    You'll be very suprised phase 1 is more for novice riders but there is still plenty of flow. Big berms, rock gardens, rollers, tables and more! Almost done with phase 1. Phase 2 will have more gaps and Knarly riding. stay tuned! @standard_trailrider33 #benchmarktrails #mtbtrail # palmettotrail #wallhalla #flowtrail #mtb
    Sounds good man, thanks for the info!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Timothy G. Parrish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,334
    To be clear, the ONLY trail that will be open tomorrow, 4/23, is the Palmetto Trail. I was asked to preview the trails today by PCF executive director, and she said PT only. About 40% of the beginner loop trails are still rough cut. VERY rough cut. Riding them was not fun, and would be difficult for some.

    Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    86
    How's progress going with this fellas?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Timothy G. Parrish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,334
    Quote Originally Posted by SCxXxMTB View Post
    How's progress going with this fellas?
    Still only about 6 miles. The PT is being extended on the North end and one middle connector on the bike loop has been removed (it was too close to the other connector). I know the trail builder had to focus on a few other trail projects in the area, so the completion date for phase 2 and 3 have moved out a little. I put it on MTB Project, and I just updated it, so you can currently see what exists.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-14-2014, 09:03 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-14-2013, 08:22 AM
  3. Cascade Cream Puff, trail work weekends planned :)
    By Reviver in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-27-2011, 09:16 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-24-2011, 07:07 PM
  5. Trail work planned for Hawes?
    By AZ_Wook in forum Arizona
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-22-2011, 08:29 AM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.