Stump Jump XC MTB race - 5.09.09- Mtbr.com
    purveyor of adventure

Stump Jump XC MTB race - 5.09.09

Spartanburg County Parks & Rec and UpstateSORBA proudly present the 12th annual Stump Jump XC Mountain Bike Race to be held Saturday, May 9, at Croft State Natural Area. This year's Stump Jump will be the 4th race in the Maxxis Southern Classic Series and will be the final race in the South Carolina State Championship series!

Location: Southside Trails at Croft State Natural Area, just outside Spartanburg, SC.

Course: 7.5 miles. Technical sections with lots of fast flats. Highlights include roots, a creek crossing, twisty singletrack, and -of course- a few stumps.

Schedule:
    BLUE WAVE 9:00 AM - 1 lap ((7.5 miles))
    All Cat 3, Clydesdale, & Juniors (except Cat 1 Juniors)
    YELLOW WAVE 10:30 AM - 2 laps ((15 miles))
    All Cat 2, Singlespeed, and Cat 1 Junior Women
    KIDS UNDER 12 RACE - 12:00 PM
    Free! Not timed.
    WHITE WAVE 12:30 PM
    Pro Men, Cat 1 Men, Cat 1 Junior Men- 4 laps ((30 miles))
    Pro Women & Cat 1 Women - 3 laps ((22.5 miles))

Awards:
    Over $4000 in cash payouts will be awarded to Pro and Cat 1 fields! Merchandise prizes for Cat 2, Cat 3, Clydesdale, and all Juniors! South Carolina State Championship medals will be up for grabs in all fields!

Online until May 7
    On-site May 8 (12-7PM) and race-day. Registration closes 30 minutes before each race!
    *All riders must have one-day ($5) or annual USA Cycling license.*

Website: www.stumpjump.org for directions to race start/finish and for more complete information.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trail Liberator

Cat 2

Are the cat 2 men only doing 2 laps? Do you mean three?

purveyor of adventure
    Yep. Cat 2 guys are doing 2 laps (15 miles).

mtbr member
    Since the race has been moved up to Saturday I am not going to be able to pre ride the course this year. Does anyone remember how the course went last year? I know it hit Lizard and High and Dry, but other than that it is all a blur. I figured if I can hit last years course it will be close enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Snail
    Since the race has been moved up to Saturday I am not going to be able to pre ride the course this year. Does anyone remember how the course went last year? I know it hit Lizard and High and Dry, but other than that it is all a blur. I figured if I can hit last years course it will be close enough.
    It seems like that would be more than 7.5 miles. I ride there quite a bit, but this will be my first race there...... can't wait!!

mtbr member
    With all the rain this week the trails are going to be in rough shape, especially the power lines (which were totally washed out last week) and some of the hill climb. Should be an interesting race!

-eddie.
    hopefully it'll stay off hte power lines and go straight into the woods.

consistent default champ
    Red mud, wet sand, wet roots ~ should be awesome!
    Wish I knew how to put a picture in ~ there is a funny picture of me at the race in '05 dragging my bike up a small hill and splattered in mud when it rained the entire day before and of the race. I was slipping and sliding all over the place that day

mtbr member
    Yeah, i have a great pic from 2000 of me with a rather impressive amount of blood running down my leg. not digital, too bad.

I made the mistake of trying to replace some worn drivetrain parts last week...my friggin bike no longer shifts...even without a mud bog. Should be an interesting race.

mtbr member
    I was told they were going to be marking the course on Thursday since the race was moved up to Saturday. Anyone know what time it will be marked? I can't pre ride it on Friday so I was hoping to hit it tomorrow after work.

mtbr member
    Yep - sometimes you gotta replace the whole thing. New chains and old cassettes don't get along too well. We just had another big rain here in Spartanburg. SS could be a bit on the sloppy side, especially if they use the low trails. I believe that they are not using the power line this year. The s/f area is at the model airplane field. I think the course goes straight down the paved road and turns right onto the singletrack.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Man I hope you are right and they are skipping the powerlines.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brownieinSC
    Red mud, wet sand, wet roots ~ should be awesome!
    Wish I knew how to put a picture in ~ there is a funny picture of me at the race in '05 dragging my bike up a small hill and splattered in mud when it rained the entire day before and of the race. I was slipping and sliding all over the place that day
    Is this the pic you are talking about?

http://picasaweb.google.com/willbrow...15293998070626

mtbr member
    Congrats to Jenna for putting on an awesome race! Now about all that mud.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Anyone know when any pictures from the race may be posted?

mtbr member
    that was the most horrible race i've ever done. The conditions were BRUTAL. The bike was the least of my problems (btw, new chain, cassette, rings, front d., and rear d. pulleys---and it still shifts a lot worse than before I started) I think the heat and humidity were a factor as well as the trail conditions. I ran out of water on the 3rd lap. The mud didn't allow you to rest on the downhills, and many climbs were a slog because of the slick mud.

Huge difference from last year when I really enjoyed the race. This year was about 5-6 miles shorter but took me the same time. Ick.

mtbr member
    Thanks Jenna for making it happen this year. UpstateSORBA would like to help again next year and make it bigger and better. We ned a band,messages and a slip and slide! Just some suggestions.

consistent default champ
    The mud did just drain your energy. When you should have been hauling ar$e on the flats you were just trying to stay up right. It got better by the sport second lap but that one downhill area was just awful. I hit the ground three times and a tree once just sliding out of control. Luckily only minor scrapes and bruises.
    Then Sunday I decided to go ride on the nice dry trails at Paris Mountain that afternoon and did a full on superman over the bars ~ I tried that jump down on the North lake trail. I did not land it correctly to say the least!
    That was my third Stump Jump and the second in the mud. It was still fun even if it was a little sloppy

mtbr member
    Yeah, the first lap was kinda crazy but the second lap was muddy in just the right places. Did anybody else notice the huge pile of horse crap on the trail? I should have a few random shots of the race on our website later today.
    http://www.hawleycompany.net/blog/
    Your LEAST favorite, insider's look at a bicycle distributor

-eddie.
    i paid 50 to roll around in the muddy for an hour. i quit after the first lap because you really dont stand a chance when you've crashed like 15 times and you have no gears left because of the mud .

after a good wash my bike and i are still in working order though.

Members who have read this thread: 0