Stolen bike alert!!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Stolen bike alert!!!!

I just got two bikes in for service, and the guy who brought them in has no clue what they are. Obviously stolen, son!

The first one is a Specialized Enduro SX, black and white in color, a 17" frame, fox air Rp2 rear, Talas front, Kenda Cortex front, Nevegal rear, Thompson stem, red CC headset, this was somebody's baby.

The other one is a white Transition Double, Gamut guide, Truvativ cranks, RS Argyle fork, FSA headset, Tioga stem, Funn bar, definitely not a crackhead rig.....

Holler at me, let's get these bikes back to their owners!
    Last edited by bikehick; 08-05-2010 at 03:29 PM.

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    I am hoping you got the guys Details... so when you find the rightful owners they can press charges!

Single Speed Junkie
    Jan 2008
    Also, my friend recently had a ti Kona stolen. It was an old bike that had recently had a fork put on. This was in Asheville. Would appreciate any help finding it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    how do you know they are stolen?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by deadatbirth
    how do you know they are stolen?
    Because he brought them in for service. Who does that anymore? I hate thieves.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Were either of the frames rootbeer in color? Did they look unusually flexy?

Jackass
    Dude, I know a dentist out that way who had his Enduro stolen. I'll have to give him a ring.
    I'm making enemies faster than I can kill them!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    We found the owner of the transition... still looking for the owner of the sx!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    wow! that was fast. how did you get ahold of the owner?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    first time customers beware.

is the specialized black and white? if so its mine

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Any bike shop employee can smell a stolen bike from a mile away. Shoot me a pm, and let me know the parts, the serial #, or anything that might id the bike or prove who you are, then I will cross reference with Suspension experts, APD, and the shop where it was bought..... It is not cool to buy or sell stolen bikes.... Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

thanks yall.

found the owners, thank you mtbr folks! success!

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    Score one for honesty!
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Wow, that's awesome. Nothing better than hearing about a bike or bikes in this case being returned to its rightful owner. Thieves suck. Kudos to the bike shop!!! Mine was stolen and returned in a similar fashion a few years back.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
    - Abraham Lincoln

mtbr member
    That is great! I need to video tape my bikes real good and make a record of the serials somewhere close by.

mtbr member
    I have a idea about a great resource for bike owners! Hmmmm, I may have to see about marketing this idea!

MTBR Member
    Good going, BH. I hope you got a reward on those.

Official Cooler Inspector
    Thanks for ending my day with good news. MTB people are awesome!

Bad Karma to Bike Thieves.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stolen bike alert!!!!-on_the_bike_case.jpg  

Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bikehick
    found the owners, thank you mtbr folks! success!
    Not quite the full story, yes?

mtbr member

C'mon bikehick, let us in on what REALLY went down.
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

mtbr member
    hey i saw those!!! they were in a dumpster in parts
    Heeere's Johnny! - The Shining :D

mtbr member
    whoops i was lying...srry
    Heeere's Johnny! - The Shining :D

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bleu
    C'mon bikehick, let us in on what REALLY went down.
    When the guy came in to the shop, it was pretty obvious that neither of these bikes belonged to him. After we started talking about the Transition, he said that he saw a bunch of kids trying to pawn it, so he bought it from them for $120. When I brought up the idea that it could be stolen, he said something to the effect of "Yeah, probably". After that, we started calling around.

One of the folks in the Asheville police department sends out weekly emails with a list of bikes that have been reported stolen. Neither of these were on there, since they were either reported in a different county, or not reported at all. If this guy hadn't been so obviously sketchy, we probably never would have known. So in the future, if you ever happen to get your bike stolen, make sure to go down to a police station and file a report.

XC Champion
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronFPeet
    When the guy came in to the shop, it was pretty obvious that neither of these bikes belonged to him. After we started talking about the Transition, he said that he saw a bunch of kids trying to pawn it, so he bought it from them for $120. When I brought up the idea that it could be stolen, he said something to the effect of "Yeah, probably". After that, we started calling around.

One of the folks in the Asheville police department sends out weekly emails with a list of bikes that have been reported stolen. Neither of these were on there, since they were either reported in a different county, or not reported at all. If this guy hadn't been so obviously sketchy, we probably never would have known. So in the future, if you ever happen to get your bike stolen, make sure to go down to a police station and file a report.
    Aaannnnnddddd....that's still not the entire story.

While it's great that you guys returned the Transition, don't you think it's a little out of line to call a LEGITIMATE paying customer a "crackhead" and "sketchy?"

It's not what you think.
    I use a paint pen and write my info on the bottom bracket... along with "if the name on repair order isn't alloynipples then this bike is stolen". Doubt a theif would be able to remove a bottom bracket. Ya never know, just one more chance on getting it back.
    SORBA-Woodstock Diggin' dirt since 1999.

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    If a guy walks in with a bike worth several Gs, that is not "off the shelf" but yet knows nothing about it. Then add odd behavior or just general bad feeling into the mix and you get all sorts of "Alarms" going off in your gut and your head follows.

I am normally a trusting person by nature but my gut has never lead me wrong about a person... I am assuming this shop guy had the same type of thing going on.

You get that feeling in your gut, you better listen to it!

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Quote Originally Posted by drkenan
    don't you think it's a little out of line to call a LEGITIMATE paying customer a "crackhead" and "sketchy?"
    Nope, not at all. In my few years working in an Asheville shop I could point out dozen's of 'sketchy crackheads' types that came in the shop.

Call the PC police on me if you must, but if it walks like a duck....
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

Thread Killer
    Something in the air ... check out this story from Rochester, MN:

http://charlytri.blogspot.com/2010/08/dear-paul-b.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Great ending to the story! I never thought about it much but a dilligent bike shop employee will naturally pick up on all kinds of quirky customer behavior. Just the same as in any other customer service position.
    No profiling paranoia please. People are thievin' all over the place nowadays. You can bury your head in the sand & pretend not to see it or you can be cautious/ready. Thank you for looking out for us Mr. bike shop man!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BikenMoto
    No profiling paranoia please.!
    tell that to the shop employee who immediately thought the bikes were stolen when he first saw the person.

mtbr member
    Sounds like someone is a little paranoid.

I guess you think it would have been better to just service them and let him go on his way.

Some Assembly Required
    "No good deed goes unpunished" You'll never, EVER, EVER satisfiy everyone even when you do the "right thing". Those negative types suck......and I thought only Wilson'z sucked......
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gatman
    I guess you think it would have been better to just service them and let him go on his way.
    exactly.

he automatically thinks a bike is stolen because he thinks someone looks like a "crackhead?"

i bet theres a sign in the shop to all customers: "please provide receipt of your bicycle to prove you didnt steal it"

what would happen if your local auto repair place thought every car was stolen because some "crackhead" brought it in for service?

before he even found out that one was supposedly stolen, he post on the internet that the bike is stolen.

pic from above says it all:

Trail Liberator
    I do believe his assumption was correct! Maybe your handle should read betteroffdead.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tcstoned
    I do believe his assumption was correct! Maybe your handle should read betteroffdead.
    read what i said again slick
    BEFORE he knew one was stolen, he posts online that they are both stolen.

maybe your handle should be imtoostonedtocomprehendwhathejustsaidsoillbashhima ndmakemyselflookkindabutreallyjustajerkoff......bu t that might not fit.

mtbr member
    No, it wasn't. Guy isn't a crackhead. One of the bikes was stolen (he didn't know it), but the other bike is legitimately his.
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    read what i said again slick
    BEFORE he knew one was stolen, he posts online that they are both stolen.

maybe your handle should be imtoostonedtocomprehendwhathejustsaidsoillbashhima ndmakemyselflookkindabutreallyjustajerkoff......bu t that might not fit.
    maybeyoushouldalwaystypelikethisleavingoutspacesan dpunctuationthenpeoplewillreallytakeyoumorseriousl y.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sjanes
    maybeyoushouldalwaystypelikethisleavingoutspacesan dpunctuationthenpeoplewillreallytakeyoumorseriousl y.....
    sorry, its not funny the third time someone does it

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    youarewrongmyfriendwiththissortofthingitgetsfunnie reverytimeidoit....

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bleu
    No, it wasn't. Guy isn't a crackhead. One of the bikes was stolen (he didn't know it), but the other bike is legitimately his.
    Like I said before, I'm the mechanic who took both of these bikes in, and I was the one who made the initial judgement. The whole thing started when I asked about one of the bikes, and he implied that it was could have been stolen. From there, I casually mentioned it to a few other shops in town, and within an hour, we learned that the Transition was in fact stolen. It is not too much of a far stretch to assume that both were stolen.

After examining the second bike, we noticed that the top of the seat tube was cracked, due to improper adjustment. From the evidence that he had given us, it seemed prudent to offer up a description to the general public, and hope that the rightful owner found his way to us. In this case, we were wrong. The owner of the bike contacted us, and let us know that he had sold it to our customer, and that everything was on the level.

Today, the owner of the stolen Transition came in to pick up his bike, which had been missing for three weeks, and he couldn't have been happier. For that, everything was worth it, and if we take some flak on the internet, I think we're ok with it

Official Cooler Inspector
    Old MTBr Passion Poster who grew up to do good things:

http://www.karmaarmy.com/

Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronFPeet
    After examining the second bike, we noticed that the top of the seat tube was cracked, due to improper adjustment. From the evidence that he had given us, it seemed prudent to offer up a description to the general public, and hope that the rightful owner found his way to us. In this case, we were wrong. The owner of the bike contacted us, and let us know that he had sold it to our customer, and that everything was on the level.
    I do believe the phrase you are looking for here is prior owner. Your assumptions and biases are coming through still, even though you were already proven wrong, and admitted to be wrong on 50% of your assumption.

The story you are telling still forgets to mention that the guy is a professor at the local college, which is a far step from your description as a crackhead, btw.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

end the end it will all work out!

I would just like to apologize to anyone else offended by my original posting! I have spoken with the owner of the sx, the original seller, and offered my apologies for thinking he was an owner of 2 stolen bikes, when it was just one that ended up being stolen. All parties are ccol with me, and the sx owner is continuing to do business with us, as is the original seller, who came in the shop today for some stuff, and is good people. I did jump to a conclusion, as did every one else at the shop that day. it was a strange vibe with the whole thing, and I was appointed the poster for the thread, it was not that i deemed the guy a crackhead, I meant that he bought them from a probable drug addict, the most common thieves of bikes in an urban area. Next time I will watch my words a little more, I went to Enka. Please remember the original owner's delight upon getting his old baby back! Please shoot me a pm in you have any questions or concerns, I'd like to tell anybody that has an issue the whole story on my end, we can meet up and discuss is over a ride, or a beer. Thanks!

Bloated Cubs Fan
    It wasn't funny the first time.

mtbr member
    I think this is pretty funny. A college professor who purchases two bicycles legally, is accused of theft and drug abuse, then slandered all over the net. He prevents a high end bicycle from being pawned and agrees that it is probably stolen when he brings it in, yet he is the one accused of being a crackhead.

When said bike proves to be stolen, the shop beams in glory for reuniting the owner/bike and the guy who actually saved it from a pawn shop death is still a sketchy crackhead.

Nice play...

Bloated Cubs Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by stoney98
    The story you are telling still forgets to mention that the guy is a professor at the local college, which is a far step from your description as a crackhead, btw.
    If my 7 years in community college taught me anything, it's that ALL local college professors are sketchy crackhead types.

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by boostin
    who purchases two bicycles legally,...When said bike proves to be stolen,
    You can NOT legally purchase stolen property...

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    . He prevents a high end bicycle from being pawned and agrees that it is probably stolen when he brings it in, yet he is the one accused of being a crackhead.
    More like he purchased stolen property, and when it was suggested it was stolen he agreed. He didn't walk into the shop and say "hey I think these bikes are stolen, can you help?". If the OP didn't say anything he probably would have had them serviced and went on his way with his stolen goods.

If the 'professor' really wanted to do the right thing he should have called the police and directed them to the pawn shop. If he knew the bikes were hot, and he was trying to do the right thing why did he risk $120?

Think about it this way. You're a cop, you pull a guy over and he's driving a stolen vehicle. When confronted he says "yeah, probably is stolen...but...but...I was taking it to a mechanic to have them track down the rightful owners!". Sounds like BS huh!?
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Offering too much info on the Interwebs will offer an opportunity for the crook to ask his friend (maybe not a true friend, but someone he owes money for crack) to contact you, claiming, not to be a crack-dealing friend of the crack-head, but instead, to be a respectable member of society who doesn't do crack, who sold the bike to the suspected crackhead. If you believe this, you're crack, crack, crack.

While we're on the subject, punishment for crack use has been slashed to 18:1 from something like 18 million-to-one. Now, poor cocaine-users face punishment that's JUST 18 TIMES the punishment for rich cocaine users.

That seems just.

BTW, I don't use cocaine, either.

mtbr member
    Who wants to see some hot TheHubSucks-on-EddieDingle action?

mtbr member
    Jesus, this is the thread that keeps on giving. Thank you.
    http://www.hawleycompany.net/blog/
    Your LEAST favorite, insider's look at a bicycle distributor

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by kenpuke
    Jesus, this is the thread that keeps on giving. Thank you.
    and giving, and giving, and knitting, and knitting, and knitting, and knitting.....
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    so.....

The next time the mechanic kid with the sweet tattoos applies for a real job and is by-passed because of his interesting fashion choices it won't be such a big deal right? Not to perpetuate stereotypes, but isn't everyone with tats a criminal?

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    what shop was this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    and giving, and giving, and knitting, and knitting, and knitting, and knitting.....
    is there something you can share with the rest of us... AMAZING LARRY?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjSs9...eature=related
    http://www.hawleycompany.net/blog/
    Your LEAST favorite, insider's look at a bicycle distributor

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    "Huh huh."

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by D.F.L.
    Who wants to see some hot TheHubSucks-on-EddieDingle action?
    I do, I do, I do!

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SICK
    The next time the mechanic kid with the sweet tattoos applies for a real job and is by-passed because of his interesting fashion choices it won't be such a big deal right? Not to perpetuate stereotypes, but isn't everyone with tats a criminal?

Fashion and Tats are a choice NOT a PROTECTED CLASS...

And anyone applying for any job should dress appropriate for that position (ie hide the tat if need be), If you can not show up for an interview dressed correctly how are going to show up to work if you are hired same exact thing as showing up on time and alert?

Get over it everyone is Prejudiced... EVERYONE! We are not talking RACE and/or RACISM...

If we were not Prejudiced no one would buy $100 shoes, $1000 dollar jewelry or $30,000 dollar cars.

And if a guy shows up to your door selling SNAKE OIL do you listen to your gut (at the risk of be prejudiced) and send his ass packing because you feel he is sketchy or do ignore your gut and buy is over priced B.S. and give him your money because you would rather be broke than considered prejudiced.

If its the later I have several hundred acres east of Florida for sale!

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by kenpuke
    is there something you can share with the rest of us... AMAZING LARRY?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjSs9...eature=related

Sorry, couldn't do it justice from my phone.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xo9z_SxdfL4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xo9z_SxdfL4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I think this is pretty funny. A college professor who purchases two bicycles legally, is accused of theft and drug abuse, then slandered all over the net. He prevents a high end bicycle from being pawned and agrees that it is probably stolen when he brings it in, yet he is the one accused of being a crackhead.

When said bike proves to be stolen, the shop beams in glory for reuniting the owner/bike and the guy who actually saved it from a pawn shop death is still a sketchy crackhead.

Nice play...
    So the guy thinks it's stolen, and to show what an upstanding guy he is, he keeps the bike for himself?

And only mentions it was probably stolen when the very perceptive mechanics ask questions.

Maybe he thought the bike shop was a police station?

What a guy!

Bike shop 1, Professor (who most likely wishes he never took the bike to the shop) -1

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    arewestillreallytalkingabouthis?therehasgottobesom ethingbettertodiscussliketrailerosionorsomething.. .

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    Quote Originally Posted by sjanes
    arewestillreallytalkingabouthis?therehasgottobesom ethingbettertodiscussliketrailerosionorsomething.. .
    I Fuggin hate Pikeys!

Whythef*ckdoIwantacaravanthat'sgotnof*ckingwheels?

Members who have read this thread: 0