SS Gearing for Pisgah?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. SS Gearing for Pisgah?

I'm entering the Pisgah Stage this year and it will be my first time riding in the area. What sort of SS gearing are expert/cat 1 guys running there? I usually run 36x21 at any course with significant elevation in my area (MD VA PA)

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    36-21 might be a little stout. I run 32-20 in Pisgah area for races and 32-21 for general riding. What do you consider "significant elevation", both in total gain per distance and grade? For what it's worth guys faster and slower than I seem to run gearing similar to this. You may lose some speed on the flats but your legs won't turn to stone on the long steep climbs. 32-20 is a good compromise for many riders in the area. Best wishes, John.

Rogue Exterminator
    I run 46/28 (belt drive) which is equivalent to 32/18 and most people tell me their knees hurt for just hearing that.

Most people I know are 32/20-21

FYI, I push a little more than some of my SS buddies on lower gearing so take what I ride with a grain of salt. However, I am pushing as fast as they are riding at that point....sooooo does it really matter? lol
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    32-20 or 32-18 is what I think most of the hammers like teamdicky, 44gnats, Marshall, or Adam W. run. Try pm'ing the first two on here maybe... Bob Moss, from what I can tell, runs a gear similar to what you push, but he's a mutant. Are you?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    On the stage race I would consider having a harder gear for the lighter days.

I have run 32x18 at dupont and never walked, but there is stuff in Pisgah where I would walk a 32x24.

If you are going to do just one go with 32x20 or 19 if you can push it.

mtbr member
    Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by plain1984 View Post
    What do you consider "significant elevation", both in total gain per distance and grade?
    Multiple climbs in excess of 1000' or an average of more than 1000' per 10 miles. At my local trail I run 37x17, but it's pretty flat.

kjlued, I'm like you in that if I can push faster than ride, I'll push. So I think I'll give the 36x21 a try and bring a 22 cog if that kicks my arse.

rsa
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

SS Gearing for Pisgah?

Nice to follow this conversation, as I'm looking to try out a SS this winter. In terms of local climbing, most of my pisgah rides have closer to 1500 ft of climbing per 10 miles (by garmin). DuPont seems a little more tame, at around 1300 ft. I don't know of anywhere near Asheville with less climbing (unless going to Tsali). Sounds like I should start around 32-20.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    32-20 or 32-18 is what I think most of the hammers like teamdicky, 44gnats, Marshall, or Adam W. run. Try pm'ing the first two on here maybe... Bob Moss, from what I can tell, runs a gear similar to what you push, but he's a mutant. Are you?
    Are you asking me?

Quote Originally Posted by fueledbymetal View Post
    Thanks all!

Multiple climbs in excess of 1000' or an average of more than 1000' per 10 miles. At my local trail I run 37x17, but it's pretty flat.

kjlued, I'm like you in that if I can push faster than ride, I'll push. So I think I'll give the 36x21 a try and bring a 22 cog if that kicks my arse.
    You can count on well over 100 feet per mile in Pisgah. Sometimes 200+ ftpm
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    I'm a flatlander that rides/races in pisgah 5-6 times a year. I typically run a 34x20 for fun rides and one day races. I plan on sticking with a 34x22 at the stage race this year. My goal is survival versus podium though, so take that into consideration.

Also, most of the "normal" SS dudes I've encountered in wnc are running 32x20,21,22. The podium standers are running 36x20, 34x19, 32x18, etc.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer