Squirrel Gap in Pisgah- Mtbr.com
    Dig it!

Squirrel Gap in Pisgah

Just a few bad pics of some of the work on Squirrel Gap. To me it looks much better in person. So don't judge it till you ride it. But no hurry it is still fresh an will need some time to settle.
    Should you do more trail work?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hello.

I am planning to ride Squirrel Gap trail with my wife tomorrow morning. We don't have a lot of time (2 hours or so) and want to get in the "quickest" ride leaving from the Turkey Pen trail head. What do you recommend we do route wise? We just moved to the area but have ridden much of Pisgah over the years but never got this one in.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: looks like through gate (down s. mills river road)> L across the river to s. mills river trail #133>R onto Mullinax>L onto Squirrel Gap>ride out to Wolf Ford and then reverse back to TP trail head.

Good?

mtbr member
    That should be around 2 hrs. You should be able to make it to Horse Cove intersection.

mtbr member
    If you don't mind a whole bunch of mud, you can come down Horse cove to Cantrell to S. Mills and make a loop out of it. I did that a few weeks ago. Lower Horse is really a mess, but it might be more fun than an out and back.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

loud hubs save lives
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike View Post
    If you don't mind a whole bunch of mud, you can come down Horse cove to Cantrell to S. Mills and make a loop out of it. I did that a few weeks ago. Lower Horse is really a mess, but it might be more fun than an out and back.
    Reviving this thread because i have a similar route planned for this weekend. Does this seem like a good route ( am i going the preferred directions ), any suggestions/changes/gotchas? I just wanted to try some new to me trails when we come up for some weekend riding. Would it be more fun to turn around at mile 7 where we'd hit lower horse and make it an out and back?

Turkey Pen Trail head -> mullinax -> squirrel gap -> lower horse cove -> cantrell creek -> south mills river -> back to car

Squirrel Gap in Pisgah-squirrel_loop.jpg

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Imo you will be better off doing an out and back on Squirrel. It's fun both directions. Way more fun than South Mills West to East.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sennaster View Post
    Reviving this thread because i have a similar route planned for this weekend. Does this seem like a good route ( am i going the preferred directions ), any suggestions/changes/gotchas? I just wanted to try some new to me trails when we come up for some weekend riding. Would it be more fun to turn around at mile 7 where we'd hit lower horse and make it an out and back?

Turkey Pen Trail head -> mullinax -> squirrel gap -> lower horse cove -> cantrell creek -> south mills river -> back to car

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	squirrel_loop.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	1164607

Thanks.
    IMO do exactly that but in reverse. I do that route a fair amount. Good stuff.

If you have the gas, out and back from top of lower horse down along Squirrel to Wolf Ford then carry on Squirrel to Mullinax to finish. Either way, you want to descend Squirrel to Mullinax. Fo....sho.

Have fun!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

loud hubs save lives
    Thanks for the feedback, looks like Iíll call an audible. Either squirrel out and back, or reverse that loop. Multiple places had squirrel running east to west, so I just assumed that was the preferred direction, but when I was looking at the elevation profile the 3 mile descent ( including Mullinax ) sounded way more appealing than horse and Cantrell would offer

Dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by sennaster View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, looks like Iíll call an audible. Either squirrel out and back, or reverse that loop. Multiple places had squirrel running east to west, so I just assumed that was the preferred direction, but when I was looking at the elevation profile the 3 mile descent ( including Mullinax ) sounded way more appealing than horse and Cantrell would offer
    If you have the legs for it, Squirrel is best served both ways. SMRT is ok at best, but The climbs on Squirrel and Mullinax are sweet and techy. Going down is a blast.
    Should you do more trail work?

mtbr member
    Cantrell and most of S. Mills is swampy even in dry weather. We have had a TON of rain here and with cold, humid conditions I doubt it will dry much...

A ride I love doing is full squirrel from TP parking to S. Mills then out FR476 to Funnel Top Rd. down upper Horse to Squirrel then back... Sort of a Lollipop loop. Upper Horse is short but really fun and Funnel Top Rd. has some impressive views.

Or Squirrel out and back... Both are great routes.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The problem with "descending" Cantrell Creek is that its combination of "not quite steep enough" and "ruks errywhere" basically means you have to pedal relatively hard the entire "descent" and you're not having much fun.

It's really a bugger because Lower Horse is a daggum hoot to descend. But you get to the bottom with a huge grin and then boom, all the options ahead of you...suck. haha - welcome to Pisgah I guess!

Have fun out there senmaster. Braaaap

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

loud hubs save lives
    Weíre going to do the out and back from the turkey pen lot on Friday ... will probably turn around at lower horse and head back. Then off to the Hub for beers.

Thanks for the info