Squirrel Gap 'maintenace'??- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    23

    Squirrel Gap 'maintenace'??

    Just wondering when SG was going to be closed for its 'maintenance' or if it's already been done. Looking to head that way in a day or 2 and didn't want to get shut down. Any information greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    63
    They are working on Sycamore right now. You should be good to go for this week.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: swoodbrn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    950
    So, is there a schedule for the work?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mike Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,289
    There is no "schedule" persay that we are aware of. The work on Black/Grassy/Sycamore is a totally separate contract; the same company has both. I'd assume they're trying to finish this first contract, as it was awarded some time before the second.

    There are several other trails in the contract that includes Squirrel. The question will be which ones they work on first.

    One thing I can say is it's been good to see the positive reports regarding the work on this first contract. I have not been on Sycamore yet but agree Black Mountain trail doesn't look bad at all.
    Hopefully, the (relatively) small footprint trend will continue- especially with the now-written commitment to use hand tools as much as possible on the Laurel>Horse section.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    There is no "schedule" persay that we are aware of. The work on Black/Grassy/Sycamore is a totally separate contract; the same company has both. I'd assume they're trying to finish this first contract, as it was awarded some time before the second.

    There are several other trails in the contract that includes Squirrel. The question will be which ones they work on first.

    One thing I can say is it's been good to see the positive reports regarding the work on this first contract. I have not been on Sycamore yet but agree Black Mountain trail doesn't look bad at all.
    Hopefully, the (relatively) small footprint trend will continue- especially with the now-written commitment to use hand tools as much as possible on the Laurel>Horse section.
    I wanted to point out what Mike Brown is saying in the last sentence here. There is now a written commitment that trail work will use hand tools as much as possible on Squirrel Gap.

    As far as I can tell, this commitment was articulated at least partly in response to the concerns about machine work voiced by mountain bikers, both individually and through Pisgah Area SORBA's efforts. Good work everyone who got active on this concern, whether you wrote a letter, joined PAS, or just talked about it. The more we pay attention, speak up, and become a part of the process the better our trails will be.

    I'm bumping up this thread because there are a lot of folks who heard about the action alert on Squirrel Gap but haven't heard about the good result. See, we can work together! Let's keep up the good work.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: IAMSPECIALIZED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    61

    Love IT

    Wife and I rode SG this past weekend for the first time and WOW we both loved it, so we are interested to see what it will be like after the work. I hope the rocky section will stay the same, loved all of it.

    ??? When we came down the south mills river trail to where you intersect SG there was a trail we came across, can anyone give info into where it goes? It seemed to be cleared but is not on any map.
    Right before you get to the horse fording area(coming south) there was a sign post with no sign, you go behind the post and cross over the creek and the trail starts (going uphill).
    IF IT HAS TWO WHEELS AND A HANDLEBAR...I,M IN!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by IAMSPECIALIZED
    Wife and I rode SG this past weekend for the first time and WOW we both loved it, so we are interested to see what it will be like after the work. I hope the rocky section will stay the same, loved all of it.
    This is the idea. Using hand tools for trail work allows more finesse. As well, it will mean the trail is more likely to retain its narrow (sub-18-inches) width, and is more likely to retain its remote, challenging, hiker/biker atmosphere.
    Kudos to all the parties involved for what looks like a solid agreement on preserving the character of Squirrel Gap.

  8. #8
    drunken pirate
    Reputation: driftwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,414
    Quote Originally Posted by IAMSPECIALIZED
    ??? When we came down the south mills river trail to where you intersect SG there was a trail we came across, can anyone give info into where it goes? It seemed to be cleared but is not on any map.
    Right before you get to the horse fording area(coming south) there was a sign post with no sign, you go behind the post and cross over the creek and the trail starts (going uphill).
    It is hard to know exactly which trail you are referring to but I'm guessing it is the trail that goes to High Falls. It is not on the map, not bike legal and not rideable anyway. But it is a nice spot nonetheless.
    More Trails, Not Less

    Adventures in Pisgah

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: D.F.L.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,840
    Quote Originally Posted by IAMSPECIALIZED
    ...Right before you get to the horse fording area(coming south) there was a sign post with no sign, you go behind the post and cross over the creek and the trail starts (going uphill).
    To the right, is some beautiful old trail, probably CCC era. Nice rock work in spots. Giant trees down, deep water crossing, etc. People know about it, but don't use it, so that should tell you something.

    If you stay straight, you'll go steeply up a deep rut, in the straightest possible line to the highest point on S. Mills trail, near the junction with Buckhorn. It's overgrown and eroded, thanks to horse usage.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: IAMSPECIALIZED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    61
    thanks for the thoughts, we looked at it and determined pretty quick it was an older trail but not very fun looking for a bike.

    Anyways looking forward to coming back soon.......................
    IF IT HAS TWO WHEELS AND A HANDLEBAR...I,M IN!

Similar Threads

  1. Maintenace for Fox 40 ..How Often?
    By stunzeed in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-26-2010, 06:32 PM
  2. Replies: 48
    Last Post: 03-17-2009, 01:43 PM
  3. hello all, a few questions about maintenace
    By fang_x in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-04-2007, 07:39 AM
  4. maintenace books
    By rekibtm in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-13-2006, 11:37 AM
  5. NRS Headset Maintenace
    By gmw in forum Giant
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 02:52 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.