Squirrel ?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Squirrel ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Squirrel ?

Going to ride Squirrel this weekend with some folks. Looking at Parham's loop w/ 1206, I was thinking counter-clockwise starting from Yellow Gap, seems to make more sense to get the ride up 1206 out of the way early. What are opinions on starting points and clockwise vs. counterclockwise?
    Thanks.
    Tim

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    it has more downhill flow going clockwise...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks Brado. One vote for clockwise, anyone else?

mtbr member
    start at the gaging station on 476 and ride S. Mills to Squirrel and Squirrel all the way to Bradley Creek then turn around and ride back out, ~25 miles total

It's much more single track that way, no dusty gravel road, and you get the full Squirrel experience (i.e both directions)

It's a harder less flowing ride from left to right (CCW) so you get that out of the way first, when you turn it around you have a tough 2+ mile climb out of Bradley Creek to start with but then you're at the high point. There's only a shorter climb at the end on S. Mills.

1206 SUCKS!
    many gears, some pies

banned
    1206 sucks and its really dusty, we parked at yellow gap Sunday and rode Laurel Mtn-Pilotrock -1206 to 476- S.mills to Squirrel to Laurelcreek and up 5015, an awesome loop about 30 miles with only about 1 1/2 miles of dusty gravel. Ridn29s is right though Squirrel is best ridden both ways.

mtbr member
    Tim- the loop moto describes could easily take an averagely fit and skilled rider 6-8 hours. The grind up 5015 at the end can either be a 30 minute stroll or a 90 minute hate fest depending on how you be feeling.

Just thought you might like to know...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    Tim- the loop moto describes could easily take an averagely fit and skilled rider 6-8 hours. The grind up 5015 at the end can either be a 30 minute stroll or a 90 minute hate fest depending on how you be feeling.

Yep, I knew that. I'm on a time crunch so I thought a one-way Squirrel w/ a gravel start or end would speed things up. I've ridden 1206 from the bottom of Pilot to Yellow, so I know what I'm in for.
    Thanks.
    Tim

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown

We could have blown it out in 5 hours but we had 2 flats/bent derailluer/and cassette-chain problems on top of numerous crashes and your right 2 weeks ago we blistered up 5015 and Sunday we had a dehydration/nutrition Bonk and a not to be named rider had to basically crawl up 5015.It took 7 hours.....but being in Pisgah all day was Priceless

drunken pirate
    clockwise
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Okay, so sounds like clockwise is the way to go. Next question- Bradley or Laurel Creek?. I've hiked both, Laurel seems the more interesting option.
    Thanks.
    Tim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by timdvm
    Okay, so sounds like clockwise is the way to go. Next question- Bradley or Laurel Creek?. I've hiked both, Laurel seems the more interesting option.
    Thanks.
    Tim
    Elevation gain is the same either way, duh... Bradley gets you several more water crossings (but you'll also get wet crossing to Laurel) and is about 1 mile longer. You do get to ride all of Squirrel that way though. I think Laurel is steeper than Squirrel up to the intersection of the two trails but not my much.
    many gears, some pies

drunken pirate
    I would take all of Squirrel to Bradley and then take Bradley all the way back up to 1206, skipping 5015
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

Drinker w/ Riding Problem
    i like doing squirrel - starting from the Gauging Station> South Mills > Squirrel > Mullinax > South Mills > if i want to get wet? > continue South Mills > Dry? > up Horse Cove from the old lodge (bit of a hike a bike)

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i like out and back on squirrel. from turkey pen to horse cove and back. i can't wait for them to widen the trail up. it needs to be corridored bad.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by park baker
    i like out and back on squirrel. from turkey pen to horse cove and back. i can't wait for them to widen the trail up. it needs to be corridored bad.
    Nice. Are you still mad because Woody doesn't wave to you?

Members who have read this thread: 0