Spur of the moment trip to Pisgah, recommended trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Spur of the moment trip to Pisgah, recommended trails

I have a few days off and decided to take a trip to North Carolina since the weather in Ohio will not allow me to do this! What trails do you recommended in the Pisgah area that are intermediate and are at least 14miles long. I know this is a vague question but any help would be great, Thanks!

When did you get here?!?!
    Laurel Mountain to Pilot Rock
    Asheville, NC: Laurel Mountain trail -> Pilot Rock trail | Mountain Biking in North Carolina

or

Clawhammer to Bennett Gap
    Asheville, NC: Clawhammer to Bennett Gap | Bicycling in North Carolina

or

Squirrel Gap to Turkey Pen Gap
    Asheville, NC. Squirrel Gap trail -> Turkey Pen Gap trail | Bicycling in North Carolina

would all be good choices. *edit* The Squirrel ride probably qualifies more as advanced than intermediate. Also, 14 miles is rather specific and Pisgah is better described in time than miles. How long do you want to be out?
    Last edited by pisgahproductions; 12-24-2011 at 07:42 AM.
    You can please some people sometimes but you can't please all the people all the time.
    ERIC'S RIDE LOG

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    5 or 6 hours would be great! I guess I am not sure what is considred Intermediate in that area but I like a challenge! I am not sure what you have had as far as rain down there but will they be in good condition in the nex few days?

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    FYI squirrel o turkey pen is no joke. IMHO everyone's first pisgah ride should be the big m fromthe pas site to gauge your pisgah ability. Maxwell - black - thrift- sycamore if you can handle that try something a little harder if it was too much find something easier. The first 2 would also be good choices.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by turbolsvt View Post
    I am not sure what you have had as far as rain down there but will they be in good condition in the nex few days?
    There are some damp spots (especially in the Turkey Pen area) but most of the Pisgah trails are good to go
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Well I made it down today! I tried to find the laurel mountain trail but had no luck. Ended up riding the big m. If the black mountain trail is not a super technical trail then I need to stick to easy stuff! Lol I am going to assume that it's a hike and bike trail?

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Not really the part you rode. Try going to the fish hatchery- cove creek- longbranch- butter cat gap- hatchery. Or bent creek and use one of the pad rides

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Well I think I made a mistake because i think( if I am thinking right) you are suppose to take a right at the first road after getting on claw hammer road, right? I took claw hammer all the way to the top( at the intersection of buckhorn gap, black mountain trail and a path that took you to a trail shelter) I took a right at black mountain trail! I crossed turkey pen trail at one point. Did I go the wrong way? After getting to the very top of black mountain( I do not think I could go any higher lol) the down hill part was about the best I have ever done! I came to a intersection that had a rock in the middle of it, I took a right ( because I was running out of day light and figured it was a quick way down) and ended up back on claw hammer road via the first road I passed on the right when I first stared my climb!
    Last edited by turbolsvt; 12-25-2011 at 06:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    How do you post pictures?

drunken pirate
    What is the 'right' way? If you were trying to do the Big M you missed a turn but were rewarded with some of the best Pisgah has to offer!

That stretch of Black Mtn. is no joke. Lots of people avoid it at all cost but others, like myself, ride it every chance we get. That stretch of trail is as technical as Pisgah gets. Next time stay on Black and you'll get more really good, and rideable, downhill singletrack all the way to the bottom.

I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures. Host them somewhere and then use [img] tags.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I am really glad I missed the turn because the views were amazing! So I have one more day here and tomorrow looks like it's going to be nice. With so many trails it makes it hard to decide.