South Mountains State Park trails?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

South Mountains State Park trails?

hi! i'll be in charlotte for a few days and was thinking about bringing my bike. we need to stay in charlotte for a few nights but were thinking about staying anywhere within an hour range for the first night.

i would like to get some mountain biking in and my wife and 3-year old some basic hiking. i'm open to any type of riding, but into a mix of flowing and technical (more flowing than technical though).

we were thinking of staying in lincolnton or hickory and then taking a drive to a trailhead first thing in the morning. any recommendations? we don't need to stay in those cities; just thought i'd start with something. i saw south mountains state park is there. any good?
    http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/somo/activities.php

i'm open to other recommedations to stay within an hour or so of charlotte and then ride another hour out.

thanks!
    ez
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    lake norman state park is what you need
    fast flowy and within an hour of Charlotte

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

another option

http://www.bmcc.us/kerr_scott.htm

1 hour from Lincolnton via 321/268
    45 min from Hickory

plenty of trail reviews on Warrior Creek and OVT on this forum. you should go to the Kerr-Scott Visitors center and do the OVT first. plenty of good walks and even some interpretive trails for the hikers all starting at the same place.

mtbr member
    thanks for the recommendations. i'll look into those!
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnc
    http://www.bmcc.us/kerr_scott.htm

1 hour from Lincolnton via 321/268
    45 min from Hickory

plenty of trail reviews on Warrior Creek and OVT on this forum. you should go to the Kerr-Scott Visitors center and do the OVT first. plenty of good walks and even some interpretive trails for the hikers all starting at the same place.
    +1 these trails are lots of fun and worth a visit.

Some Assembly Required
    South Mtnz can be a death march on a bike. Early into my riding, 8-9 yrz ago, I took my wife, (my ex now, thank God) , and my son to the South Mtnz for a ride. If they had carried a gun or knife or anything they could've used for a weapon I probably wouldn't be sharing this now. 18 miles w/ 14 or so of them climbing. I've heard they were gonna put in some more biking friendly trails, not sure how that played out at this point. If anyone knows please share th' 411 w/us.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

Politically Incorrect
    The only time to ride South Mountain is:
    - when you're training for a mountain bike race and don't care about the trails/scenery and don't like riding road
    - you're into insanely steep grades that are barely ridable (one near the beginning and one near the end)
    - you hate singletrack
    - you've lost perspective on how cool your regular trails are and you need an attitude adjustment

I've ridden there twice in the last year. I cannot remember what my reasoning was
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    There's also some good loops of trails in Charlotte itself. Kid/wife could go hiking at any of these, or go check out King's Mountain. Your beta can be found at:
    www.tarheeltrailblazers.com.

Please, somebody more local in the toon give this guy some pointers if my very distanat advice is off.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Definitely either Lake Norman State Park or Dark Mountain/Warrior Creek trails. Dark Mountain system is linked above. Lake Norman is fast, flowing 18 miles of pure single track. Lots of fun and your family can explore the rest of the park while you're riding. If you head up to Kerr Scott definitely ride Warrior Creek; one of the most fun trails in the state.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motoenth
    - when you're training for a mountain bike race and don't care about the trails/scenery and don't like riding road
    - you're into insanely steep grades that are barely ridable (one near the beginning and one near the end)
    - you hate singletrack
    - you've lost perspective on how cool your regular trails are and you need an attitude adjustment

I've ridden there twice in the last year. I cannot remember what my reasoning was
    good to know. thanks!

great recommendations- looking forward to checking out a couple trails out there. i'm in charlotte a ton for business but never thought about riding- glad my wife encouraged me this time.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

And He was Not
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    There's also some good loops of trails in Charlotte itself. Kid/wife could go hiking at any of these, or go check out King's Mountain. Your beta can be found at:

Please, somebody more local in the toon give this guy some pointers if my very distanat advice is off.
    Mike is correct.

Lots of miles to be ridin in the Charlotte area.Most are within 30 minutes from the heart of the city. May not be epic mileage, but there are quite of few with Loops over 10 miles. The local trails are fast and fun. Post up on the Thtb board. They even have a Wed night race series if you into mixing it up with some of the locals. All the info you need is here...
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    Mike is correct.

Lots of miles to be ridin in the Charlotte area.Most are within 30 minutes from the heart of the city. May not be epic mileage, but there are quite of few with Loops over 10 miles. The local trails are fast and fun. Post up on the Thtb board. They even have a Wed night race series if you into mixing it up with some of the locals. All the info you need is here...
    perfect! i think some of the charlotte local trails will be perfect for a quick fix while others are doing their NRA thing. thanks again!
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

mtbr member
    i'm sure there's a better map, but this is what i'm using to check out the lake norman state park area: http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/l...cs/parkmap.pdf

where do you park to access the trails? is it the parking lot on state park rd shortly after the park entrance? i read the trails are reversed each year- are they pretty well marked? i see the itusi trail, but what about the one just west of that one? anything else i should know?

thanks. ez
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

And He was Not
    I believe the parking lot for bikes is the second lot on the left after you enter the park. I think it is marked "Bicycle parking" . There is a Kiosk at the lot with all the info. The trail is very easy to follow.
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch
    I believe the parking lot for bikes is the second lot on the left after you enter the park. I think it is marked "Bicycle parking" . There is a Kiosk at the lot with all the info. The trail is very easy to follow.
    thanks, man!
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

Some Assembly Required
    Quote Originally Posted by motoenth
    - you hate singletrack

Agreed 100%
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

Members who have read this thread: 0