Skills... around Asheville, NC!- Mtbr.com
    Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010

Skills... around Asheville, NC!

I am new to cycling (well newly returned), and need to work on my skills. One of the skills I feel I need the most help on is Jumping. Jumps are fun but a little unnerving.

I have looked all over the web and anyone (worth following) seems to suggest a Table Top to start to practice jumping. I have not spent alot time exploring the trails but I have spent some in Bent Creek and Dupont. Neither area have I yet to see a table top.???

Where in western North Carolina area is a Table Top (with public access)?

Thanks,

Fat Boy

mtbr member
    Most restaurants have dozens of them. Or you could try Burnt Mountain at Dupont.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Wink

Fat Boy get you a shovel, and dig a tabletop. Make it little at first, and then dig it bigger. You can increase the size as your skills increase, and then invite over your homies and make them cry with your sick jumping skills. If this will piss off your neighbors or your wife, then go to Bent Creek and there is one at the bottom of Greenslick. Here is a link of a video, the table it is the jump at the bottom where the dude filming eats it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-3GR0geTfU

There are three tiny tables in a row in Bent creek on Wolf Branch, that might be a good place to start. I'd go flat pedals and wrap up in pads, you are gonna crash, which is an important part of learning to jump. Once you are sailing through the air, you can work on some style for the ladies.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Skills...like nunchuku skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

Hope you have shocks and pegs Pedro ;-)
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

Thread Killer
    I'll second Burnt Mountain, but you gotta' earn 'em -- you'll climb in (or out), no matter which way you go. But the jumps are fuuuuuun.

The top of Ridgeline is fun too, but go early so you don't land on a horse.

I tell folks from out of town that I've caught more air on a cross-country ride at DuPont than anywhere else I've ridden.

pronounced may-duh
    Burnt mtn has some easy table tops and there is a long one on cedar rock trail. But before you start launching off table tops you should learn the basics. Learn to get the wheels off the ground on a flat area. Wheelie and bunny hop. Then hop off some rollers and simple ramps. If your just starting out a table top could be tricky. If you don't clean the flat top the landing gets very awkward.

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike
    Most restaurants have dozens of them.
    LOL... I know, I have been to most of them... (How do you think I got fat?)

Thanks for the all the suggestions.

I guess for tonight I am headed to Wolf Branch. Maybe this weekend I will get to Dupont to hit up Burnt Mountain.

Bunny hops and such are not a problem (I am no expert but I can clear brush and etc when needed).

I rode as kid alot, even raced BMX for a few years (but that was years ago, decades really). The basics are still there and I pop off the top of the "jumps" here and there on Ridgeline and Sleepy Gap but it is just a little nerve racking still. (Guess age made me chicken).

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

Digging my own is NOT an option at the moment.

But I will hit up Wolf Branch and Burnt Mountain.

Thread Killer
    Good call. You may not be one for book learning, but I found a wealth of info in "Mastering Mountain Bike Skills" by Lee McCormick. Step by step, plenty of photos, doesn't make you feel stupid ... http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Moun...0852843&sr=8-1

mtbr member
    Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but the "table tops" on Burnt Mountain are going in the counter-clockwise (less common) direction. If I was a "noob", I would go the common (clockwise) direction and then turn around. Pushing the bike up the rocky chutes is not fun for your average new rider.

The TT's on Wolf Branch are hard for new people as well- because you don't have enough speed.

Overall, I'd suggest working on basic jumping skills before worrying about gaping a tabletop. A great trail for this in Bent Creek is Explorer Loop. Lots of little jumps and few bigger ones. A few tips:

- DON'T GRAB YOUR BRAKES in the air. Stopping your wheel alters the momentum of your launch and can cause your nose or rear end to dive radically. You can have control over this, but it is an advanced skill. Pisgahproductions explained this to me and my jumping skills changed remarkably. Just make sure you have completely let go of the brakes before trying to jump.
    -Try to keep the front wheel higher than the rear wheel- much easier said then done. I'd feel comfortable doing this off curbs before I tried jumping on trail.
    - When picking jumps to try, it is much easier to land jumps where the landing is on a slight downhill.

I am a terrible "dirt jumper" but relatively proficient at trail jumping. These simple tips helped me a lot.
    -

Gabe.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-3GR0geTfU

Some points in that run down Greenslick look real fast .............I think I've been riding fixed too long.
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but the "table tops" on Burnt Mountain are going in the counter-clockwise (less common) direction. If I was a "noob", I would go the common (clockwise) direction and then turn around. Pushing the bike up the rocky chutes is not fun for your average new rider.

There are some good ones also in the "normal" clockwise direction where the nooks trail comes in And they are in a flat section where you can get good speed. These and the stuff on greens lick are all built by the same people. When they were first built they were easy to hit but they have worn down over the years and look more like rollers. I've got some great pics of the table top jump builder and his son catching some air on Burnt mtn.

Father:

and Son:

mtbr member
    May 2009
    There is a few dirt jump areas around. Your best bet would be ask one of the local shops directions.

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but the "table tops" on Burnt Mountain are going in the counter-clockwise (less common) direction
    By definition, table tops go both ways

I've only ever hit them clockwise. Less climbing to get there. Hitting them then turning around would be a fun ride.

mtbr member
    "Gapping" a tabletop is "doing" a table top jump to me- this means clearing the entire berm and landing on the other side of the downhill exit. I can't do that going clockwise on Burnt but can counter...my skilz are moderate, not extreme

XC Champion
    May 2006
    There are a couple of BMX tracks around I hear are conducive to learning. You should ask around about those.

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by drkenan
    There are a couple of BMX tracks around I hear are conducive to learning. You should ask around about those.
    Unfortunately, the one in Hville is closed permanently. All the BMX action has moved to Waynesville I hear.

However, the nature trails in Jackson Park in Hville are open to bikes. They're not difficult, but are good for a shakedown ride and to get your kids out there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Meet you at the track!

You can go to the BMX track in Weaverville (I'll meet you there if you like). They have a sweet table top & a bunch of other jumps to practice on. I have been practicing this particular table top for a while now (on my 24" cruiser) & I'm just starting to feel pretty good jumping the whole thing.They let any bike ride on the track (not just BMX bikes). The first time is free or buy a monthly or yearly membership. I have seen a few MTB's & a couple fixies, 29"er guys on the track learning how to jump: We short cut the track & hit the jump over & over until we get it down.
    Weaverville BMX track link: https://www.weavervillebmx.org/

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    BikenMoto....

Thanks for the info and offer to meet out there! Do you happen to know the hours? Weaverville is a little bit of a trek for me (I am in Arden) but I am sure I could make at some point.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I live in hendo. You could drive here & we could go up in my car (PM me). They practice on tuesdays 6-8pm. Thurs is practice until 6-7:30 then we race! Classes are separated depending on ability/age.
    fall & winter hours vary but they have lights for night riding (I cant wait to try that)
    Lots of support for newbs. Kids are welcome. They have 'loaner' bmx bikes. see their website or facebook page. it's so much fun & a completely diff workout from MTB, etc.

That's damn yankee to you
    Aug 2008
    Wow I can't believe I never heard of this place before. I'm definitely going to have to hit it one day soon. I read the getting started link and it said race shoes or grippy shoes.... do they allow clipless?? And it also said long pants, but I see in the pics that not everyone is wearing long pants--- perhaps pads would do? Any advice?
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    You know....... whatever bike they are riding, assure them its the biggest bike of any guy you have ever ridden with.

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for all the help guys...

I finally got my "buddies" to get off of Sleepy Gap and Explorer Loop so that we could go over to Wolf Branch and hit those Table Tops. By the 3rd run I had no problems hitting them. But they are small and it took me 3 runs to get them right. Now I guess I will head over there on my own and really practice them Over and Over and Over until I get nail them no matter my speed or fatigue...

Again Thanks!

Anybody have any suggestions about riding any of those logs I see laying around? I have been too chicken to even try them?
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

Team Martin
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedGood
    Wow I can't believe I never heard of this place before. I'm definitely going to have to hit it one day soon. I read the getting started link and it said race shoes or grippy shoes.... do they allow clipless?? And it also said long pants, but I see in the pics that not everyone is wearing long pants--- perhaps pads would do? Any advice?
    Yes, they allow clipless... as a matter of fact, they're the most commonly used pedal system for BMX racers today. A lot of the faster guys (i.e. Expert/Single A/Double A) still use flats for practice but revert to clipless when it's racetime. BTW, Wearverville is a NBL track & from my experience they tend to be a little more laxed about wearing the long pants/jerseys while practicing as opposed to some of the ABA tracks I've visited.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Weaverville is pretty casual about the riding gear. You can wear shorts & short sleeve shirt in race or practice (I wear shorts with knee/shin guards).
    Pedals? I started with flats, bought clipless pedals & shoes & am now back riding flats. I feel more comfortable with the flats (especially on the gate). But I miss the power generated by the clipless system.
    P.S. I never rode clipless before I went to the BMX track. I always rode with toe-clips/straps on my MTB. Being clipped-in was actually not as big of a deal as I imagined.

Members who have read this thread: 0