Single track trail near Asheville- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Single track trail near Asheville

I am thinking about visiting Asheville NC this summer. I live in phoenix and love single track elevation gains and then fast downhills. Usually ride 20 milers on a FS 29er. What kind of riding can I expect in west NC? I have read a little about Pisgah and that sounds like the place to ride. The summers here get to 120 and usually drink about 100oz during a 20 mile ride, do I need a big camelback there in the summer? Any advice will help.

Big Mac
    Bring big camel.

endorphin junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65
    Bring big camel.
    In this part of the world... "It ain't the heat that gets ya.. it's the humidity".
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
    T.S. Eliot

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog100
    I am thinking about visiting Asheville NC this summer. I live in phoenix and love single track elevation gains and then fast downhills. Usually ride 20 milers on a FS 29er. What kind of riding can I expect in west NC? I have read a little about Pisgah and that sounds like the place to ride. The summers here get to 120 and usually drink about 100oz during a 20 mile ride, do I need a big camelback there in the summer? Any advice will help.
    Bigdog, having ridden extensively in both places (in fact, I'll be in PHX next week), the only thing I can think of that Phoenix and Pisgah have in common are that they both offer awesome trails. Other than that, polar opposites.

The number one difference -- besides the humidity -- is that here, there are no sight lines. It's not like PHX where you can see forever -- around here, there are so many blind corners, you lose count after about 5 minutes. The number two difference is that when we say wilderness, we mean it -- once you enter Pisgah, forget about seeing houses and getting cell reception. It's fantastic. No towers in the middle of the forest. And don't forget all the roots in the trail tread.

We've got a little of everything here, kind of like you do there. But don't expect expansive views and flowy descents -- you gotta work for it more here, but it's worth every effort. The soil here is harder packed; the only real sand is at DuPont State Forest, and though we have our fair share of rocks, it's not "rocky" tread by any means. It's a great soil to ride. And while we don't have cholla to deal with, our forest will jump out and bite you sometimes

FS29er is good. Many of the recommended rides include gravel climbs and singletrack descents, but don't let that fool you into thinking they're easy. 20 miles around here will likely take you 2-1/2 hours or more. A lot of our best trails are super-narrow singletrack hinged to a mountainside, riding through tunnels of rhododendron. And in the summer it might only be 85 or 90, but it's 90 percent humidity. Water is everywhere, but it's all running streams with giardia -- bring a camelbak or a water filter or both. Some of the campgrounds have water, but you may not be anywhere near them!

Where do you normally ride? My favorite thing to do is link Usery with Hawes -- it's just a few minutes ride from my SIL's house, so I don't have to use a car and can ride all day. Nothing around here is quite as exposed as that though -- we have real trees here!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by crossboy
    Bigdog, having ridden extensively in both places (in fact, I'll be in PHX next week), the only thing I can think of that Phoenix and Pisgah have in common are that they both offer awesome trails. Other than that, polar opposites.

The number one difference -- besides the humidity -- is that here, there are no sight lines. It's not like PHX where you can see forever -- around here, there are so many blind corners, you lose count after about 5 minutes. The number two difference is that when we say wilderness, we mean it -- once you enter Pisgah, forget about seeing houses and getting cell reception. It's fantastic. No towers in the middle of the forest. And don't forget all the roots in the trail tread.

We've got a little of everything here, kind of like you do there. But don't expect expansive views and flowy descents -- you gotta work for it more here, but it's worth every effort. The soil here is harder packed; the only real sand is at DuPont State Forest, and though we have our fair share of rocks, it's not "rocky" tread by any means. It's a great soil to ride. And while we don't have cholla to deal with, our forest will jump out and bite you sometimes

FS29er is good. Many of the recommended rides include gravel climbs and singletrack descents, but don't let that fool you into thinking they're easy. 20 miles around here will likely take you 2-1/2 hours or more. A lot of our best trails are super-narrow singletrack hinged to a mountainside, riding through tunnels of rhododendron. And in the summer it might only be 85 or 90, but it's 90 percent humidity. Water is everywhere, but it's all running streams with giardia -- bring a camelbak or a water filter or both. Some of the campgrounds have water, but you may not be anywhere near them!

Where do you normally ride? My favorite thing to do is link Usery with Hawes -- it's just a few minutes ride from my SIL's house, so I don't have to use a car and can ride all day. Nothing around here is quite as exposed as that though -- we have real trees here!

You need to check out Black Canyon City, it is a little far from Hawes but it is all single track with epic climbing and fast downhill. You are pretty exposed up there so do not ride when it is real hot out. Mcdowell mtn park is great riding also. Thanks for the NC info, I am going to read more of the posts.

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog100
    You need to check out Black Canyon City, it is a little far from Hawes but it is all single track with epic climbing and fast downhill. You are pretty exposed up there so do not ride when it is real hot out. Mcdowell mtn park is great riding also. Thanks for the NC info, I am going to read more of the posts.
    I like McDowell, it's fun -- there's nothing like that here. No loops to speak of -- shortest would be at least an hour, more like 90 minutes, on up to 8-10-12 hours ...

Members who have read this thread: 0