Single Speeds at Pisgah?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,685

    Single Speeds at Pisgah?

    How tough is it? Bent creek area looks pretty good on paper anyhow. I'm new to the area and am trying to decide what I want to do about my first trip there. I'm am used to the Northern NE... I ride most everything there on a SS aside from a few rides. Currently i have 2 bikes in working order. SS29er and a 36lbsish freeride rig (Versus Blitz). The way i see it I have the following options:

    •Ride the SS and suffer?

    •Ride my pig and suffer slowly?

    •Build my Titus Motolite back up with some parts laying around and parts from the Blitz... (which i'm pretty sure would have to be 1x9 since i don't have a front der. for it)

    Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Gabe.....
    Reputation: Smokebikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,182
    Suffer..........I think the SS will be fine. What gear ratio are you running? 32/20 is "good" for Pisgah, but that is a geranlization.
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

  3. #3
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokebikes
    Suffer..........I think the SS will be fine. What gear ratio are you running? 32/20 is "good" for Pisgah, but that is a geranlization.

    32/19... I'm thinking in terms of the future maybe i want gears and suspension - at least sometimes.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ridn29s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    671
    My general rule of thumb:

    32/20 is fine for lighter/stonger people and shorter rides (10-20 miles)
    32/21 is great for longer rides (20-35 miles), easier on the tech uphills, decent for downhill
    32/22 is for very long days (35+ miles), more on the bike in tech, spins a lot on downhills

    If you are under 170 lbs you could drop all those categories by one gear in the back, I'm 190 lbs and they work great for me.
    many gears, some pies

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: S-manBennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5
    I have the same 2 options in bikes. I almost never ride my 37pound geared bike anymore. I run a 32-20 on my 29er SS and ride all over TheCreek and Pisgah.
    S

  6. #6
    drunken pirate
    Reputation: driftwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,414
    Ride the single speed. I'd swap the 19 out for a 20.
    More Trails, Not Less

    Adventures in Pisgah

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Snototter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    302
    I agree the 32/20 is might fine for this area. I have also recently been enjoying a little harder gearing. Threw the 19 tooth on after ORAMM because of some new found strength in the legs after all that training and am loving that gearing for any and all of Pisgah. Still walking the stuff that I would normally walk even with a 20 or a 21 so no big loss. Single speeds are super fun here but I have also been told that big squish bikes are fun too. Choose your weapon wisely. :-)

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    224
    the most important thing to remember about single speeds is to always wear knickers. if you're going for a professional look...you can wear a nice shirt and knickers and they are then dubbed "biz-knickers." thank you regec.

    you're facial hair is also a concern when riding the SS. should you mutton or goatee? or combo? maybe the half mohawk? what does your ensemble say to other SS's? bodhisattva or punk rocker?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: "CHIEF"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    434
    26er, 32X19, 100mm up front, goatee.
    Don't listen to Park, I ride all the trails he shuttles..
    "You can make some of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time."

  10. #10
    drunken pirate
    Reputation: driftwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,414
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF
    26er
    lol
    More Trails, Not Less

    Adventures in Pisgah

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HOG farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by park baker
    the most important thing to remember about single speeds is to always wear knickers. if you're going for a professional look...you can wear a nice shirt and knickers and they are then dubbed "biz-knickers." thank you regec.

    you're facial hair is also a concern when riding the SS. should you mutton or goatee? or combo? maybe the half mohawk? what does your ensemble say to other SS's? bodhisattva or punk rocker?
    hehe, perfect.
    Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    Don't sweat it.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2
    fixed gear 34x18/16 for pisgah. Full beard

    Recent studies have shown that the correlation between facial hair and gears is inversely proportional.
    "Everyday around 5 o'clock i begin to think about what I'm going to eat for dinner." -Geezer

  13. #13
    Gabe.....
    Reputation: Smokebikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnybigdeal
    fixed gear 34x18/16 for pisgah. Full beard

    Recent studies have shown that the correlation between facial hair and gears is inversely proportional.
    34x18/16 now that is some big boy fixie gearing for Pisgah.........Your beard must be way full but I bet your wheel is too big. Welcome to the forum my fixie brotha......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Single Speeds at Pisgah?-s5031450.jpg  

    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by ridn29s
    My general rule of thumb:

    32/20 is fine for lighter/stonger people and shorter rides (10-20 miles)
    32/21 is great for longer rides (20-35 miles), easier on the tech uphills, decent for downhill
    32/22 is for very long days (35+ miles), more on the bike in tech, spins a lot on downhills

    If you are under 170 lbs you could drop all those categories by one gear in the back, I'm 190 lbs and they work great for me.
    So for someone with their first ss 29er, should I follow these same guidelines? I mean, Im only talking about Bent Creek. It comes with a 19t freewheel, but should I step it up to 20t or 22t?

  15. #15
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnthomps08
    So for someone with their first ss 29er, should I follow these same guidelines? I mean, Im only talking about Bent Creek. It comes with a 19t freewheel, but should I step it up to 20t or 22t?
    I ended up taking both bikes. Rode the gears up Laurel and down Pilot Rock. Glad I did. NIce to have gears and suspension for that ride.

    I then rode my SS at Bent Creek with a 19t cog in back. Totally fine. A 20t might not be a bad idea if your new and can score one cheap. The generic cogs are next to nothing. I have a I9 hub and don't like to use anything without a wide base as it dings up the freehub body. Tho even the surly cogs aren't spendy....

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    941
    SSS= Single Speed Sucks....

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.