Shoutout to Hickory City Park Trail Builders- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Shoutout to Hickory City Park Trail Builders

This trial system is located near/beside Geitner Park in Hickory NC and it's totally awesome. I live in the Charlotte area and mostly ride the north Charlotte Trails along with the extensive network of trails at the USNWC. I've also rode a couple of the trails at Lake Norman State Park.

When I have the chance to make it up to Hickory for a ride I'm always left thinking this small trail network is the best around. The beginner loop is such a great warmup and you're able to maintain a good amount of speed the entire time. The intermediate (main) trail has the most enjoyable first mile of any trail I've rode. It starts with a very small uphill section followed by the steepest berms around. There is a jump line, technical manmade features and rock gardens throughout the trail. Toward the bottom there are nice views of the lake as well.

Lastly, the trail has new signs everywhere that make it very easy to navigate along with great parking and facilities nearby. Realy nothitng to complain about. There is even a pump track.

Anyone ride here?

I'm hoping to get up to Pisgah very soon but so far this is my favorite trail in the piedmont. North Meck Park and USNWC are my home trails but I still have to tip my hat to Hickory City Park for pure fun factor.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the kind words, that was a fun and challenging project. Looking forward to adding more to it in the future.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I work a lot in that area and I wanna try it out soon.

Coffee Drinker
    Directions, map, link??

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Taildragger View Post
    Directions, map, link??
    1515 12th St Dr NW, Hickory, NC 28601

It's close to where HWY 321 crosses over Lake Hickory.

Coffee Drinker
    Okay, got it. I know where that is. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I would second that, both trails are pretty awesome. My 13 year old loves the beginner loop. Hour drive for me but worth it!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have found the Charlotte area has some nice trails and more importantly, they have a bunch of them.

And the crazy thing is that many of these are supported by the local cities - am I correct in the assumption that Hickory City Park was funded in part by the city?

I live in SC and am shocked that the Charlotte area has more trails than all of SC! In fact if you drive from Columbia to Charlotte there is basically nothing there but empty land but not a single trail.

People in the Charlotte area are lucky!
    It is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it

mtbr member
    The trail updates at Hickory City Park were all funded by the local community- riders, bike shops, local businesses, etc. The city supported the project by providing the land and infrastructure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    I have found the Charlotte area has some nice trails and more importantly, they have a bunch of them.

And the crazy thing is that many of these are supported by the local cities - am I correct in the assumption that Hickory City Park was funded in part by the city?

I live in SC and am shocked that the Charlotte area has more trails than all of SC! In fact if you drive from Columbia to Charlotte there is basically nothing there but empty land but not a single trail.

When I look at a map, it may be empty spaces on the 77 corridor but none of them are "green." In other words, not public lands. I was just thinking last week as I daydreamed about travel, I've spent most of my life chasing those green places on the map.

Coffee Drinker
    Did the trails fair well in Florence? I'll be there next week,,

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

We are lucky! I'm about 20 minutes away from my "home" Trail but there are 7 trails within 30 mins and countless within 1 hour. We are also about 2 hours from Pisgah.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

We are lucky! I'm about 20 minutes away from my "home" Trail but there are 7 trails within 30 mins and countless within 1 hour. We are also about 2 hours from Pisgah.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    When I look at a map, it may be empty spaces on the 77 corridor but none of them are "green." In other words, not public lands. I was just thinking last week as I daydreamed about travel, I've spent most of my life chasing those green places on the map.
    Yeah you are most likely right. But honestly, I find it depressing (but not surprising) that SC is such a sht place for mountain biking as compared to NC - even if WNC was not included in the picture.
    It is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it

Coffee Drinker
    Nice! Had a chance to do the Broyhill loop this evening and I'm impressed. Nice mix of stuff! Kudos to all involved!

mtbr member
    Saw this posted elsewhere and thought I would share for anyone out there with kids that like to ride.

Celebrating IMBA ‘Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day’ at Lake Hickory Trails this Saturday, Oct 6 @ 10am - 1pm. Bring your bike, helmet & a big smile for a day of fun dedicated to the kids!!!

IMBA Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day (TKMBD) is an annual event that seeks to introduce the joy of mountain biking to the next generation. Created in 2004 & recognized by the U.S. Congress, TKMBD is officially celebrated every year on the first Saturday in October. More than 100,000 youth have discovered & celebrated the joy of pedaling two wheels on dirt at TKMBD events & many have gone on to become passionate riders, volunteer trail advocates & even high school mountain bike racers.

#tkmbd #kids #morekidsonbikes #mountainbiker #lakehickorytrails #ridenwnc

It's too hot! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by motomike View Post
    Thanks for the kind words, that was a fun and challenging project. Looking forward to adding more to it in the future.

How many miles of trails are there?

mtbr member
    I've rode there a couple times, the intermediate trail is one of the best around that's not in Dupont or pisgah etc. Super fun flowy and some jumps mixed in good berms, it's really a fun trail I'd say maybe about 4 miles or so I'm not exactly sure. The Jump line is good too, not the easiest for learning by a beginner a lot require some commitment to clear. But a beginner would still have a blast rolling everything. Plus there's plenty of places around for food and beer afterwards I recommend blowing rock draft house about 5 min away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    There are some decent trails in Fort Mill. I would guess that the biggest reason for no trails around I-77 is that there are hardly any towns, and therefore hardly any people through there. It takes people to build trails.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Around 6.5 if you ride it all. Most people do a few trails multiple times. Quality over quantity!