Shooting Tree/Bootleg/Horse Pasture Rd at Lake Jocassee?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Shooting Tree/Bootleg/Horse Pasture Rd at Lake Jocassee?

Me and some buddies want to switch things up a little and do something different and I was wondering about Horse Pasture and Bootleg Rd out at Lake Jocassee. From what I understand these are like OHV roads out in the sticks by the lake right? Elevation profile looks pretty good, but are they any fun to bomb down? Cool views?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Itís more like gravel bike territory. Horse pasture had been recently graded.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SCxXxMTB View Post
    Me and some buddies want to switch things up a little and do something different and I was wondering about Horse Pasture and Bootleg Rd out at Lake Jocassee. From what I understand these are like OHV roads out in the sticks by the lake right? Elevation profile looks pretty good, but are they any fun to bomb down? Cool views?
    Gates have just opened to vehicles for hunting season, so be aware of that. As other poster said, main roads have just been resurfaced, so they're in prime riding condition currently. A bit sandy, but better than usual. Not sure about Bootleg however. I've never ventured down that one. Just remember, what you go down, you must come back up. Some of the roads to the lake are VERY steep. Fun to bomb down for speed when not washed out. If washed out, kinda sketchy, even on a FS bike. All roads behind the red gates are not maintained. Typically they are overgrown and laden with several downed trees and limbs. Here's a map you can use in Avenza:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NH4...w?usp=drivesdk

There are some cool views, and a few accessible waterfalls. Jumping Off Rock is the most iconic view, and there are a few additional overlooks from some of the roads. The coolest area IMO is near Laurel Fork falls. You can hike down the Foothills Trail to the lake and go for a swim.

mtbr member
    Here's the last ride we did earlier this month with some pictures.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1817530375

mtbr member
    I just finished putting most of this stuff up on MTB Project. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    I just finished putting most of this stuff up on MTB Project. Enjoy.
    Must be awaiting approval cause I cant see it yet, but ill be checkin for it. Thanks man!

mtbr member
    Must be awaiting approval cause I cant see it yet, but ill be checkin for it. Thanks man!
    Yes, still under review, but app doesn't get updated as quickly, if that's where you are looking. They do appear on the website.

I didn't get Bootleg Rd this time. I wanted to make sure I could get back to the car. Just so you know, it was 6000+ ft of climbing in about 26 miles to go all the way down Horsepasture and back up. I'd expect the same to go down Bootleg Rd and back.