Several DuPont Trails Are Closed...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Several DuPont Trails Are Closed...

...due to excessive soil moisture! I just received notice from Forest management that DuPont State Recreational Forest's Ridgeline Trail, Hooker Creek Trail, Jim Branch Trail, and Reasonover Creek Trail are closed because of wet conditions. Their reopening date will be determined by weather conditions (and it's raining hard here right now!)... Adjust your visitation plans accordingly, and please respect the closures.

TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the update TZ.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Planning to come down to Dupont from KY this weekend and have been eyeing the weather, but didn't realize how much rain you guys have had already the past week. Will the trails retain much of this water or is there a decent chance they'll dry out by the weekend if the rain tapers off soon?

mtbr member
    Rain locally isn't forecast to stop until Friday night or Saturday morning, so the trails will certainly still be wet. I live ~8 miles (straight-line) from the center of DSRF and have seen ~4" of rain since Friday afternoon. While that makes for dramatic waterfall displays in the center of the Forest, it's putting several trails in bad shape. If your schedule is flexible, you might consider postponing... Otherwise, start looking at the map and pick routes that are mostly gravel grinds!

TZ
    Geriatric mountain biker and trail maintainer... ...with digital braking!

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I've always wanted to see the falls at DuPont after a lot of rain, but wet trail's I'm not a fan. It's a catch 22! I'll be up there in 10 days so here's to hoping for some sun and a breeze!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Definitely not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for the info. Time to start thinking about alternate plans.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    It's raining. Common sense.

Evolutionsverlierer
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMtBiker View Post
    It's raining. Common sense.
    Yeah but rain is sometimes very local, I was coming from Candler where it was raining to go for a ride in Bent Creek and before I even hit Brevard road, the roads were dry and not a drop of rain until the end of the ride.

Was a stupid move on my side to challenge an english man for a rain ride,
    learned that lesson the hard or the wet way and will not make that mistake again.
    And as a disclaimer we stayed on the gravel roads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Avid is spelled wrong, there should be an 'O' in there.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aski View Post
    Planning to come down to Dupont from KY this weekend and have been eyeing the weather, but didn't realize how much rain you guys have had already the past week. Will the trails retain much of this water or is there a decent chance they'll dry out by the weekend if the rain tapers off soon?
    Hurricane Joaquin Possibly Bringing Devastating Rains - WLOS - ABC

Might want to pick another weekend, unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez View Post
    Hurricane Joaquin Possibly Bringing Devastating Rains - WLOS - ABC

Might want to pick another weekend, unfortunately.
    Yeah, I started seeing the forecasts reflecting this last night. Now I'm just hoping the next weekend will OK, but this could be a lot of rain that will take a while to recover from.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    We just cancelled our yearly fall trip to dupont that was this weekend. I am from Statesville and it has rained here everyday since last Wednesday. Can any locals give a rough idea of past temperature in Brevard around the end of October. We have recheduled for 10/24 weekend but we have never been there to ride this late in the season.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cburgin View Post
    We just cancelled our yearly fall trip to dupont that was this weekend. I am from Statesville and it has rained here everyday since last Wednesday. Can any locals give a rough idea of past temperature in Brevard around the end of October. We have recheduled for 10/24 weekend but we have never been there to ride this late in the season.
    I think most of the weather sites (wunderground, accuweather, etc.) give historical temp averages. We postponed our trip this weekend too. Hopefully things will dry up by next weekend, but if not, we'll likely be down the 10/24 weekend too. Should be nice...maybe just a few more leaves on the ground.

mtbr member
    That should actually be an ideal time - quite possibly very nice leaf color, depending on how the temperature goes the next few weeks. Here's last year in Pisgah on October 26. Daytime temps should also be very nice and we should be done with any threat of a blazing hot day. Just hope the rain finishes up by then.....Several DuPont Trails Are Closed...-pisgah-10-26-14.jpg
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    We were hoping to make it up soon, too, but sounds like it'll be a while.

On that note, we're planning on being in Brevard for Thanksgiving. Is it unreasonable to expect we could get some riding in or is it simply going to be too cold?

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    We were hoping to make it up soon, too, but sounds like it'll be a while.

On that note, we're planning on being in Brevard for Thanksgiving. Is it unreasonable to expect we could get some riding in or is it simply going to be too cold?
    You can still ride then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Road in DuPont today and it is in good shape, in fact almost to that tacky goodness that makes the tires stick to the trails. I started at the Fawn Lake parking area and to start of I road Reasonover, no giant puddles or big muddy spots, just the usual suspects, but was surprised to see a "trail closed" sign at the Lake Julia end of the trail, there was no such sign at the Fawn Lake trail head where I started from. That was the only "trail closed" sign of any kind that I saw, and I went to the Guion Farms area as well, via many trails. The trails have held up very well with all the rain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I rode up Pitch Pine a year or two ago, and there was no trail closed sign up. When I came back down it after an hour or so, I was surprised to find a trail closed sign and a ranger waiting for me at the end. He let me go after a bunch of scolding and threats, despite my repeatedly telling him that there was not a sign up on the other end.