San-Lee Bike Park- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2018

San-Lee Bike Park

So I took off work yesterday and hit up San-Lee bike park in Sanford. It was my first time visiting these trails. Holy smokes I didn't know that many rocks existed this far east in NC. I figured since it was my first time there I would do all of the trails and not take any of the easy routes around any of the obstacles. I think I'll skip the Free-fall trail next time. I don't think I could hit that trail clean on my dirtbike or an ATV, much less my mountain bike.

I did like the trail called "gravity canyon", and the gravity park as well. I didn't have a ton of time to hit all the runs at the gravity park, but I did do "Mega Jump" twice and really enjoyed it. Does anyone know if there is a shortcut trail from the entrance/parking lot to the gravity park? I'd like to be able to get to it rather quickly on those days where I don't have a ton of time to spend there, and it seems like it took me almost an hour to get to the gravity park from the trailhead at the nature center (I did walk most of free-fall though). When I left the gravity park heading back to the parking lot, I didn't notice much signage on the trails, and it got a little confusing as the bike trails seemed to criss-cross another trail, which I can only assume was a hiking trail. Maybe it was a shortcut to the gravity park though, I'm not sure. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yeah to get to the gravity park, just cut through the campground. The entrance to the campground is across the creek at the bottom of the damn (road in the water). Once you get to the trail, take a left onto it. You head downhilll and across a creek, then you are at the bottom of one of the gravity trails. Just follow the return trail back up.
    You can also take the wooden bridge over to the singletrack about a mile up trail from the gravity park. You'll climb over charlies mountain and into the GP.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by matty22c View Post
    Yeah to get to the gravity park, just cut through the campground. The entrance to the campground is across the creek at the bottom of the damn (road in the water). Once you get to the trail, take a left onto it. You head downhilll and across a creek, then you are at the bottom of one of the gravity trails. Just follow the return trail back up.
    You can also take the wooden bridge over to the singletrack about a mile up trail from the gravity park. You'll climb over charlies mountain and into the GP.
    Perfect. Thanks matty22c. When I was there, the road crossing the spillway/road in the water was roped off and closed, so I didn't venture over that way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MX9799 View Post
    Perfect. Thanks matty22c. When I was there, the road crossing the spillway/road in the water was roped off and closed, so I didn't venture over that way.
    Yeah, you can still go around the rope on your bike. I think they leave the rope up when the campground is closed. When it gets busy they try to have mtb folks park in a lot that is just up that steep hill on the other side of the rope.

I need to get out there soon. I haven't been down there since I moved up to N Raleigh. So probably 2+ years. When I lived in FV it was pretty much the second closest trail to my house (20ish minutes). Now its probably an hour plus. Miss me some san lee.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by matty22c View Post
    Yeah, you can still go around the rope on your bike. I think they leave the rope up when the campground is closed. When it gets busy they try to have mtb folks park in a lot that is just up that steep hill on the other side of the rope.

I need to get out there soon. I haven't been down there since I moved up to N Raleigh. So probably 2+ years. When I lived in FV it was pretty much the second closest trail to my house (20ish minutes). Now its probably an hour plus. Miss me some san lee.
    Yeah, knowing now that there's a shortcut up that way to the GP I'll just go around it with my bike. It being my first time there, I thought the rope was up for a reason, and that the area back there was closed off to the public for some reason. I'll be sure to find the shortcut next time I'm there.

San-Lee isn't all that close to me, as I live in Burlington. It took me a little over an hour to drive there. It was worth the drive though. There's no place anywhere near me that compares to what I rode at San-Lee. I didn't get to hit all of the trails at the GP though, so I'd like to go back soon and hit all the GP trails that I missed.