Saluda, NC - what do you guys think?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Saluda, NC - what do you guys think?

I've been in WNC off and on since 2005. Wife and I are finally looking to buy a house. We've found ourselves looking down in Saluda a bit. <15min to Green River trailhead, 35min to most of the Pisgah trailheads, about 40min to Dupont trailheads. Good for my wife's work and I work from home, so good for me too.

Those long time WNC'ers, what do you think will be happening in Saluda in 10-20 years? Is it ripe to become a whitewater town? Will they succeed in their apparent attempts to capture more of the WNC ecotourism? Could it be a good place to invest in, a'la Brevard 20 years ago?

Thanks for any thoughts.

mtbr member
    I like Saluda. I looked at real estate about a year ago when considering moving up from SC. House prices are nuts. I think $280,000 for a very small house. I'm sure it'll only go up. If you can swing that, do it. It will give you some really close outdoor playgrounds. The scenery in and around Cove Creek is spectacular.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    I like Saluda. I looked at real estate about a year ago when considering moving up from SC. House prices are nuts. I think $280,000 for a very small house. I'm sure it'll only go up. If you can swing that, do it. It will give you some really close outdoor playgrounds. The scenery in and around Cove Creek is spectacular.

We are finding housing at least on par with Hendersonville area. Not much motion in the market down there for sure.

Also just found out that a new shop, Saluda Outfitters opened up there this past spring. They have a bike shop portion too, haven't been in yet (just internet sleuthing). Giant dealer. Sweet!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Dig it!
    Saluda is good. But Flat Rock and Zirconia are better for riding. From Tuxedo (Zirconia surrounds Tuxedo) you have most of the trail heads in DSRF and Pisgah are 25-45 min. 30+ min to downtown Asheville and Greenville. So, to me, it is about travel time and what type of community you are looking for in an area. Saluda is not the most convenient, but is a nice hub if you live within walking/riding distance. There seem to be more golf carts for town access every year. Its 15+min to a decent grocery store. Hendersonville is getting better every year but the cat is out of the bag. Still, living close to down town would be a big plus is my book. Lots to do and great restaurants close by. Good luck.
    Should you do more trail work?

mtbr member
    Flatrock = $$$$$

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bfluid View Post
    Saluda is good. But Flat Rock and Zirconia are better for riding. From Tuxedo (Zirconia surrounds Tuxedo) you have most of the trail heads in DSRF and Pisgah are 25-45 min. 30+ min to downtown Asheville and Greenville. So, to me, it is about travel time and what type of community you are looking for in an area. Saluda is not the most convenient, but is a nice hub if you live within walking/riding distance. There seem to be more golf carts for town access every year. Its 15+min to a decent grocery store. Hendersonville is getting better every year but the cat is out of the bag. Still, living close to down town would be a big plus is my book. Lots to do and great restaurants close by. Good luck.
    Haha, yes I just read about the golf cart passes for downtown use. Main Street in Saluda is <15 minute to the Green River Cove Road trailhead for GRG trails. 35-45min to any of the main Pisgah or Dupont trailheads. Stone me now, but I will also say there seems to be some awesome road/gravel riding out of Saluda.

Agreed Flat Rock proper is mo' betta' for riding. It's been in our search radius for sure.

I asked a guy from Saluda last week how he liked it down there (met him at the one bar in Saluda, lol), and he told me it was "way more laid back than Hendersonville." All perspective I guess. Love it.

EDIT: Who maintains GRG trails? SORBA? Will def want to get in touch with whatever group it is.

Dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithified View Post
    Haha, yes I just read about the golf cart passes for downtown use. Main Street in Saluda is <!5 minute to the Green River Cove Road trailhead for GRG trails. 35-45min to any of the main Pisgah or Dupont trailheads. Stone me now, but I will also say there seems to be some awesome road/gravel riding out of Saluda.

Agreed Flat Rock proper is mo' betta' for riding. It's been in our search radius for sure.

I asked a guy from Saluda last week how he liked it down there (met him at the one bar in Saluda, lol), and he told me it was "way more laid back than Hendersonville." All perspective I guess. Love it.

EDIT: Who maintains GRG trails? SORBA? Will def want to get in touch with whatever group it is.
    SORBA does some but mostly CMC.

Dig it!
    SORBA does some but mostly CMC.
    It takes more than 5 min to the GRGL trail head from Saluda. Just sayin'.

mtbr member
    Haha, yes I just read about the golf cart passes for downtown use. Main Street in Saluda is <!5 minute to the Green River Cove Road trailhead for GRG trails. 35-45min to any of the main Pisgah or Dupont trailheads. Stone me now, but I will also say there seems to be some awesome road/gravel riding out of Saluda.

Nobody maintains GRG trails. There's a group that will call for volunteers right before Green River Games, but nobody else. There was talk of Pisgah Area SORBA taking over responsibility at one time, but not sure where that went.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Flatrock = $$$$$

That's no lie!

My wife and I both work from home in central SC and are thinking about a move to the Upstate or to WNC. Sooner rather than later so we don't miss the bus...

We've been spending a lot of time up that way getting familiar and poking around at real estate (our preference is a lot/land). We just spent a few days staying in Hendersonville (vs. passing through) and enjoyed it. But as 2b points out, that cat is out of the bag.

We have Saluda (hopefully a 2nd bar is in the plans?) and Tryon on the list so this thread is helpful.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    It takes more than 5 min to the GRGL trail head from Saluda. Just sayin'.
    fat fingered that one. Meant < 15 minutes.

mtbr member
    fat fingered that one. Meant < 15 minutes.
    Here's a suggestion: Pickens County in SC. Why? 45 minutes from all trail systems in Upstate SC and WNC. Lower taxes, and while the cats out of the bag on G'ville proper, it still affordable. And you'll be near Table Rock and other non-MTB accessible trails if you fancy. PLUS there are more trails coming to that area in Oconee County. One will have bike specific trails (i.e. bike park style). Oconee County also has several nice waterfalls you can hike to.

mtbr member
    Here's a suggestion: Pickens County in SC. Why? 45 minutes from all trail systems in Upstate SC and WNC. Lower taxes, and while the cats out of the bag on G'ville proper, it still affordable. And you'll be near Table Rock and other non-MTB accessible trails if you fancy. PLUS there are more trails coming to that area in Oconee County. One will have bike specific trails (i.e. bike park style). Oconee County also has several nice waterfalls you can hike to.

But you have to live in SC... gross. haha
    On your left!

mtbr member
    If you do any road riding at all, Saluda is perfect, as long as you don't mind lots of hills. Also, there are some good gravel roads in the area. The one main road gets pretty clogged with tourists on summer weekends. And the Wildflour Bakery has long been a destination for cyclists. Nothing like a good sticky bun after climbing the Saluda grade.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller