Runnin' w/ the bears on Heartbreak- Mtbr.com
    Some Assembly Required

Runnin' w/ the bears on Heartbreak

We rode Heartbreak Sun. & on our 1st run I waz th 3rd rider back in a line of 6-7 riderz. I hear th guy in ft of me hollarin something - I look up & both guyz are stopped up ahead & the 2nd guy startz tellin us that a black bear jumped up from the bushes when the th 1st rider scared him, (on our left side). The bear took 3 stridez & was up even w/ the 1st rider, (Wow, we were flyin). When the bear realizes he can't out run th 1st guy he, (the bear), slams on the brakes, (th rider startz peddlin' like he was shot out of a cannon, he said he was close enough to lay hiz hand on his back, who wouldn't), & as soon as the 1st rider was just past the bear, the bear shot across the trail in ft of the 2nd rider & went down through th woodz. Wild life iz a live on Heartbreak....yeehaa!!! This was in the btm of th 1st big dip/sag after the 1st dh section. We waz flyin on the 2nd run........but no bear(z).

The bear was roughly 2 - 2 1/2 ft wide and 2 1/2 - 3 ft tall lookin from th back end.
    Last edited by man w/ one hand; 05-24-2011 at 09:31 AM.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    I saw a large turtle on the trail at Croft yesterday. He did not attack.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Some Assembly Required
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeridesabike
    I saw a large turtle on the trail at Croft yesterday. He did not attack.
    Nor did th bear, he gave up when he realized he had nuthin for th dh bikez....
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    This was in thebtm of th 1st big dip/sag after the 1st dh section.

The bear was roughly 2 - 2 1/2 ft wide and 2 1/2 - 3 ft tall lookin from th back end.
    Sounds like a ~ 2 yo cub.. I've had them come crashing down the hill and across the trail in front of me after that first dip where the ridge is up above the trail on the left side..seems they like to hang out up there.

Some Assembly Required
    Quote Originally Posted by 29ftw
    Sounds like a ~ 2 yo cub.. I've had them come crashing down the hill and across the trail in front of me after that first dip where the ridge is up above the trail on the left side..seems they like to hang out up there.
    This happened in the dip you speak of. Thatz the 2nd bear we've seen this yr.....

mtbr member
    I came upon a large bear while descending Kitsuma last year. I told a local about my sighting at a gas station and she told me that bears have been a problem there for the past two years. She keeps chasing them out of her garden...LOL

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Seeing more bears lately than 5-10 years back for sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    A buddy of mine and I rode HB for our first time yesterday. After getting sketched out, not having a clue if we were on the right trail or not (with dwindling daylight) I was delighted to see some bike tracks in a soft section, only to realize there were bear tracks all through it too. Trail is sick though, I would love to ride it on a DH bike

mtbr member

Two for Two

I'm 2-for-2 for bear sightings:rides in the Heartbreak-Kitsuma area. Well I didn't actually see either bear with my own two eyes, but one was there each time. The first was when a bear shot across the grassy road (just before the bottom of Curtis Creek) in front of my friend last summer when we were checking out the ORAMM route.

The second sighting was in January when my girlfriends and I were snowshoeing on Kitsuma. We think our dog scared the bear off the trail before we came around the switchback, but we got to see the fresh tracks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Runnin' w/ the bears on Heartbreak-tracks-snow-january-2010-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    I saw a smaller black bear crossing 240 last night. It made me sad.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    our group saw a mama and cub last Sunday on Squirrel. We (unintentionally) tree'd the cub and carefully moved onward. First time seeing bears this year, but saw many more than normal in the previous 2 years.

Members who have read this thread: 0