Rode to Snowshoe for Nationals- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rode to Snowshoe for Nationals

Ok.......attempt 3. I don't have hundreds for uber or taxis. Stop suggesting it. I will give compensation to anyone that helps me to to snowshoe on July 15th and back to Boone the 20th. Really trying to get on a team, but noone will pick me up if I don't have results. Please help me get to race 2 and 3 of my 5 planned races.

I would take myself, but noone helping me get my license and I don't have a car, would rent a car or uhaul if I can get my license before I have to be on the road July 15th. I'm serious. Atleast 50 in gas or food covered for my driver.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    How'd the first race go?

Formerly of Kent
    Why are you racing a national championship if you’ve never raced before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Ive raced before....but anyway, the first race of the season didnt go well. Sliding all over the place due to mud and rain in the wooded area after the first drop in; and got clipped from behind by another rider behind me at the end of the rock garden. And why Im running snowshoe? to get more points of course; and more experience in USAC races. I missed black bear, missed coopers rock enduro.....and snowshoe would give me a possible 2 out of 5 top 5s to move up.

Id like to be Cat 1 Open/Expert by next season, but that would include me getting to USA events. Beech wasnt sanctioned.

mtbr member
    Dude, I've seen the videos you shared. You didn't even have enough speed on a flow trail to make it up the face of one of the jumps. What makes you think you are deserving of being on a race team and/or sponsorship at your current skill level?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79 View Post
    Dude, I've seen the videos you shared. You didn't even have enough speed on a flow trail to make it up the face of one of the jumps. What makes you think you are deserving of being on a race team and/or sponsorship at your current skill level?
    RyGuy79.... Crushing hopes and dreams since...1979 I guess?

Everyone starts somewhere. I've seen dudes that can barely pedal standing go from Joeys to badass rippers in less than a year.

DragRacer... keep riding, work hard on your skills (cornering, jumps, keeping speed, etc.) and you'll get there. Hard work pays off so keep doing what you're doing. Ride and race with faster people and you'll get fast....
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Honestly, my gopro doesnt show jumps. I get air quite a bit. Ask Brad; or anyone else Ive ridden with. The gopro hero1 just doesnt have the wide angle to show the bike lifting in the air like most videos on youtube. Because of the redicule; and assumptions like Ryguy does.....most of my videos are set to friends only on facebook.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79 View Post
    If you knew the full extent of the situation you wouldn't be so quick to judge. PM sent, check your inbox.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    RyGuy79.... Crushing hopes and dreams since...1979 I guess?

Everyone starts somewhere. I've seen dudes that can barely pedal standing go from Joeys to badass rippers in less than a year.

DragRacer... keep riding, work hard on your skills (cornering, jumps, keeping speed, etc.) and you'll get there. Hard work pays off so keep doing what you're doing. Ride and race with faster people and you'll get fast....

Problem is; theres not many racers that ride Rocky Knob....mostly recreationalists, like the father that was floating on the gravel return road on rocky branch at just 5 to 8 mph. When I usually am flying down at 20-30 mph. Last Thursday cost me 15 seconds because of a slow rider in front of me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragracer88 View Post
    Problem is; theres not many racers that ride Rocky Knob....mostly recreationalists, like the father that was floating on the gravel return road on rocky branch at just 5 to 8 mph. When I usually am flying down at 20-30 mph. Last Thursday cost me 15 seconds because of a slow rider in front of me.
    If you're riding with SugarBrad you cant help but get better. Dude rips and knows a thing or two about teaching others to rip as well...

If I can add .02 to this... Dont treat every ride like a race run. You'll end up frustrated and not having fun. 90% of my rides are for fun but I still work on certain things like cornering, riding off-camber roots, line choice in rock gardens, etc. every ride. Pick a skill and make a game of it... How fast can I take that corner, can I keep my speed over this rock garden, can I manual this rolling section...

keep it fun and it will stay fun. And of course work on your fitness too. The fastest dudes down are often the fastest up as well.... Fit is Fast and Fast is Fun!
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Brad spends most of his time at beech mountain....saw him like once or twice in the last 50-60 days at rocky knob. think mid or late May was the last I saw him at rkp. Id love to ride beech mtn more often...literally....daily...but budget doesnt allow it. that and the 40.2 mile ride; and no rider support/rides from mtbr yet. thats a 8 hour roundtrip ride. 4 hours to beech; 4 hours back....plus reduced energy/less fun.

Yes, Brad does fly....

Snowshoe is a maybe...if I can get a job before the 13th when I decide if Im going.

Im at the limits of the hardtail...minus putting Aggressors on it for more grip and less tire spin/slip and more cornering speed.

Im guessing Thursdays fall at 30 mph occurred due to the Ikon+ tires not being able to handle that speed through a rock garden. Went down hard on the right side. Pedal swindle and gear display ended up getting broken.

But thats just how I am....every ride is race practice. Least at rkp it is....

What I need work on is taking lessons from brad to get better on black bear. Hellbender I can handle just fine on my own....Its black bear that Im unsure about. especially that drop into the rock garden and the rock garden itself after summers road.

mtbr member
    Happy to ride with you and give you lessons on a non race weekend Brendan. Race and event weekends are tough for me because I am pulled in a lot of directions due to my position at Beech.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    If you're riding with SugarBrad you cant help but get better. Dude rips and knows a thing or two about teaching others to rip as well...

If I can add .02 to this... Dont treat every ride like a race run. You'll end up frustrated and not having fun. 90% of my rides are for fun but I still work on certain things like cornering, riding off-camber roots, line choice in rock gardens, etc. every ride. Pick a skill and make a game of it... How fast can I take that corner, can I keep my speed over this rock garden, can I manual this rolling section...

keep it fun and it will stay fun. And of course work on your fitness too. The fastest dudes down are often the fastest up as well.... Fit is Fast and Fast is Fun!
    Thanks for the kind words! That's excellent advice for Brendan as well.

mtbr member
    With nationals being a maybe; dependent on this weekends outcome and or if I can get extra money from a job beforehand.....since noone wants to help on mtbr again....Its between 570-730 for my 4 days/2 events; monday to thursday. 730 with DH RENTAL....570 without and using the hardtail for both amateur cat 2 dh and enduro.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    What BP said.