Rocky Knob Park- Phase 3- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Rocky Knob Park- Phase 3

Trail Dynamics has been chosen to provide design/build services for the final phase of development at Rocky Knob. This phase will include some fun and challenge features including:

PBJ Trail- Pump, berms and jumps: wider tread, with bigger jumps and lots of rollers and berms for rhythm riding

A concentrated skills area with lots of wood features, ladder bridges and skinnies etc, this will be located just outside the power-line corridor near the saddle between lower and upper Rocky Knob.

Planning and design work will begin March 26 and construction will begin April 2nd. There will be opportunity on weekends for volunteers to come out and help with the project. The goal is to wrap everything up construction mid April, then work on needed signage and the risk management plan and open May 1.

This is a very exciting new addition to Rocky Knob and will make the park more of a destination draw. Boone Area Cyclist have been very involved in the development of Rocky Knob working behind paid contractors using machines for trail rough in. BAC will continue assistance in this phase and also long term management of the park.

Woody

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    heck yeah Woodman - bring on the goods

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    Nice really looking forward to this. What is going to be te biggest feature?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by supercusty View Post
    Nice really looking forward to this. What is going to be te biggest feature?
    To be determined.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just in the area last week and love RKP. Smile from ear to ear while riding these trails. I am from Ohio and try to make a trip down to the area multiple times per year. Keep up the great work and can't wait to ride phase 3!

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Back when I was at App State (many moons ago) we didn't have jack crap to ride which always blew me away for a mountain town such as Boone. A good ride was trying to sneak a few laps around Julian Price Lake without getting busted or riding gravel roads. Rocky Knob is awesome!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Sounds like fun. I will be bringing a small (so far) TORC group to Wilkesboro\Boone June 22-24. Looking to check out all the stuff in Boone. Let me know if any locals want to join us. I am looking to hit Sugar Mountain, Beech XC trails and Rocky Knob. Probably the Sunday of that weekend.

mtbr member
    I've walked the areas discussed and it will be very cool. Far enough away from the parking lot to make sure beginners don't get in over their heads but still very accessible for any bike. The PBJ trail is a perfect fit for that slope and the skills area has tons of potential with all those boulders around. Looking forward to seeing the results.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Concept Plan

The over all concept plan (showing the location of the PBJ trail) is too large to attach here on MTBR. The concept plan for the skills area is however a smaller file and here it is.

Woody
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Under construction

TD has started construction of Phase 3 at Rocky Knob Park, we started last Wed.
    There are 11 of us on this project so production is fast and already many cool features are well on their way.

-85 foot long log ride known as Logzilla iscomplete
    -3200 linear foot gravity fed PBJ (Pump, Berms and Jumps) trail is 75% complete and is going to be a big hit (no pun intended) with riders of many levels of skill
    -There will be a few rock hucks, some cool rock gardens, ladder bridges and more.

Boone Area Cyclist plan big workdays April 14-15, stay tuned for details.

This will be the most complete bike park in NC when we are finished, pretty exciting.

Woody

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Woody,
    Saw you guys out working yesterday and over the last week. Thanks for all the hard work and things are certainly starting to look pretty awesome. Can't wait for everything else to get opened up! I've got another question but I'm going to shoot it to you through the PM since it doesn't have anything to do with RK. Hope things will stay relatively dry for you for the rest of the week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Almost complete

The TD team has worked some magic and we are pretty much completed with our work at Rocky Knob. There are 3 progressive skill areas located working up the mountain and features will be rated from 1-5 chili peppers.

- The first area is known as Ground Floor and will be the easiest area with features rated 1 pepper and enjoyed by all.

-Center Stage Skills area is located just before the saddle on Middle Earth Trail and has features rated from 2-3 peppers including Logzilla which is an 84' locust log ride.

-The Pepper Patch is the largest skills area and features are rated 3-5 peppers in this zone. There are some really cool features for expert riders, expect some video and photos from here soon.

The "Promise" is a 3200 linear foot PBJ trail featuring pump sections, some rock gardens, one good rock huck, big berm turns, and some great jumps.

Everything is closed to the public while we are working on the signage and risk management program.

Please stayed tuned here for info and some great photos of the TD crew in action posted here:Rocky Knob Mountain Bike Park | North Carolina's Mountain Bike Park

Rocky Knob will be NC's first complete bike park.

Woody

Big Mac
    Pictures!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Pictures!
    The Rocky Knob wordpress blog has some teaser photos of the build out. I will post some additional photos of features when I find time, but time is in short supply for me these days. We pull out today and I am only home for a day before heading down to GA for some trail education work.

A full blown photo shoot is planned in the coming weeks with riders on features. The photographer wants a bit more green on trees before that happens.

Scheduled opening of all the new stuff is April 28th at the Rocky Knob Feast.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Grand opening this Sat.

The grand opening for Rocky Knob skills phase is this Sat. April 28th. Check in to rockyknobwordpress for the details. Freerider types need to attend and show support for this style of riding in NC, a large turn out for the day will speak loudly on the level of desire.

I had a long conversation with the risk manager for western NC of the NC League of Municipalities last week. She noted that the under writer to date has refused to insure special bike park areas such as this due to the level of risk. She wants to be able to include bike parks in the same way that skate parks are now popular. But everything she has inspected to date were poorly built and dangerous. I plan to schedule a visit to Rocky Knob with her soon and showcase the quality of construction, the overall thinking into the risk management plan, and the good progression which is key in these areas. My goal is to work with her to make it easier for smaller gov agencies to provide this type of riding.

My guess is there will be lots of photos posted next week after the grand opening.

Woody

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Pictures!

You can find some good photos here:
    2012 updates for the Rocky Knob Bike Park - Page 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    We were in the area a couple of weekends ago and hit up Rocky Knob. Although we were bummed to learn that a lot of the upper trails were closed, we had the opportunity to chat with a couple of guys from TD and they gave us a guided tour of what was on tap. Very cool stuff. Look forward to getting back down there some time.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post

You can find some good photos here:
    2012 updates for the Rocky Knob Bike Park - Page 2
    Awesome! Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Awesome. Was down there last June with my 10 year old son and we loved it. Only the lower trails were open then. We're looking forward to heading back this summer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    "My understanding is one of the loops will open this weekend in addition to all the skills areas...
    Yes, this is true. of the 3000+ volunteer hours logged at Rocky Knob to date, a good amount of those have been spent finishing out the new 2.5 mile section that will be opening at 1pm to day. Come on out and ride it!

mtbr member
    I was at the well-attended Rocky knob Fest yesterday to experience the new skills areas and trails. Wow! What fun! I wanted to conquer the 'boat rock loop' but ended-up spending the afternoon looping the skills areas. 'Logzilla' is a hoot and a great confidence builder.
    I broke-in the P,B&J trail by flatting a tire the first trip down, but repaired it and did it many more trips down. Personal best 'big air' on this trail. The berm and jump angles were ideal and made me look like a better rider than I really am. Some trail parts are going require some 'testicular expansion' on my part if ever hope to clear them.

This place is better than Disney World!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Grand Opening recap

Over 100 riders showed up for the grand opening of the new skills areas and the Boat Rock loop. Nothing but positive comments on all the new stuff. Thanks to KJ and the BAC crew for hosting an awesome opening day and making sure folks had a great time and stayed safe.

Photos here:Rocky Knob Fest Recap | Rocky Knob Mountain Bike Park

Expect some videos soon.

Woody

mtbr member
    I looped the Boat Rock trail Sunday. Quite the climb! Bring your legs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lule View Post
    I looped the Boat Rock trail Sunday. Quite the climb! Bring your legs.
    And lungs.....

Thatís no moon.
    Looks awesome guys. Looking forward to hopefully checking out Rocky Knob this summer. Anything else in the immediate vicinity that someone could do in a day trip? I haven't been to Boone in probably 15 years. Never rode there, just partied...

Tar Heel Faithful
    Jan 2012
    I'm gonna ride there Mon or Tues next week, pretty excited.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Good job!

Visited 2 times the last couple weeks and this place is super awesome! Not only are the skills areas incredible and VERY high quality but the single track is excellent as well

Plenty to be had with the existing loops and connections between them and the skills areas with another advanced trail up top under construction. Lots of cool technical rocky features and killer long techy climbs with fun flowy downhills for payoff.

Logzilla in the intermediate skills area up top is cool like someone else mentioned and there is a pretty gnarly skiny arch with a couple turns in the advanced area. Also a sick feature halfway down the advanced area is a skiny to the top of a boulder with an option of a straight drop off the backside or down a wood roll in (there is also a sneak around).

PDJ is epic long with EVERYTHING you could want and table tops galore with bigger/smaller hit options.

Favorite feature is the last stepdown jump out into the power line clearing at the top of PBJ. Huge landing transition just keeps going down so you can go as big as you want

Thatís no moon.
    Hey guys, I was looking at a map and it looks like the entrance and parking is right off of 421 eastbound heading out of Boone, is this correct?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cackalacky View Post
    Hey guys, I was looking at a map and it looks like the entrance and parking is right off of 421 eastbound heading out of Boone, is this correct?
    Correct, look for the massive entrance gateway and Rocky Knob sign..

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cackalacky View Post
    Yup right before the first car dealership (if you're heading west into town). There is no cut through the median so you can only turn in if you're heading east out of town. Big wooden entrance that you drive under so you can't miss it.

Thatís no moon.
    Excellent, thanks a bunch. Made a list of stuff to hit this summer. Rocky Knob, Dark Mtn., Morganton, etc., Trying to locate everything. Markhpnc, is there any technical XC stuff there that would appeal to a non-hucker? I like rocks, roots, drop-offs, etc, but catching full-on air, not so much.

mtbr member
    Plenty of XC. Almost all of it has a degree of "techy." Boat Rock Loop has an uphill rock garden for your pleasure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Anybody know when the upper trails will be completed?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    David, I'm not sure that I understand exactly what you mean by upper trails but I'll do my best to answer your question. What I consider to be the 1st upper trail, Boat Rock loop, is open. It's 1 heck of a climb and a great down hill. I was working with one of the guys in the know on Sunday to armor a section there and get a reroute open and he said that there are just a few things left to finish Boat Rock, maybe 2 trail days. But that all depends on volunteer turn out. Once that is done the focus will shift to the section of trail above boat rock. That trail is 3/4 of the way done. It is roughed in and just needs some finish work, like root and rock clearing. From what he was thinking sometime mid to late summer, so I'm hoping for July sometime. Again all of that depends on volunteer turn out because all the mechanical work is supposedly complete. I don't know if that helps you out or not but it's the best I can do.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Plenty of XC. Almost all of it has a degree of "techy." Boat Rock Loop has an uphill rock garden for your pleasure.
    No doubt but I think I might change it to Boat Rock Loop "is" an uphill rock garden for your pleasure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailjunkee View Post
    No doubt but I think I might change it to Boat Rock Loop "is" an uphill rock garden for your pleasure.
    I can accept that!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by trailjunkee View Post
    David, I'm not sure that I understand exactly what you mean by upper trails but I'll do my best to answer your question. What I consider to be the 1st upper trail, Boat Rock loop, is open. It's 1 heck of a climb and a great down hill. I was working with one of the guys in the know on Sunday to armor a section there and get a reroute open and he said that there are just a few things left to finish Boat Rock, maybe 2 trail days. But that all depends on volunteer turn out. Once that is done the focus will shift to the section of trail above boat rock. That trail is 3/4 of the way done. It is roughed in and just needs some finish work, like root and rock clearing. From what he was thinking sometime mid to late summer, so I'm hoping for July sometime. Again all of that depends on volunteer turn out because all the mechanical work is supposedly complete. I don't know if that helps you out or not but it's the best I can do.
    Great, thanks for the info. I was just referring to older posts talking about the upper trails taking a little longer.

I will be heading out there at the end of June and was curious to see if I was going to experience the whole finished product. Looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Promo video

A new promo video of Rocky Knob featuring all the new skills areas and PBJ is up on the Rocky Knob Wordpress:

Rocky Knob Mountain Bike Park | North Carolina's Mountain Bike Park

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    That was nicely done. From the trail to the video. I want to go there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Kudos to the volunteers and trail builders for this great addition to the southeast. Loved the trail and the features you guys put in. Whats the timeline on the upper section being opened up?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The next loop will be open very soon. It will be around 1.2 miles or so. We have a few small sections to finish-out, and after that we'll be adding signage and getting land manager approval. The last short loop that skirts the summit will need a lot more work and will take longer. If you are in the Boone area we'd love to get your help this Thurs at 5:30. The more help we get the quicker it will open.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks, wish i was but i am 3 hrs away in greenville,sc. Let me know if you guys will be working the thursday of Nationals at beech. Might be able to round up a crew that will be coming up for the race. You guys got tools or we need to bring some. I have all of Upstate Sorba's tools on my back porch right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eccorp View Post
    Thanks, wish i was but i am 3 hrs away in greenville,sc. Let me know if you guys will be working the thursday of Nationals at beech. Might be able to round up a crew that will be coming up for the race. You guys got tools or we need to bring some. I have all of Upstate Sorba's tools on my back porch right now.
    The BAC club has tons of tools for people to use, just show up and get to the worksite and you'll be good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Boat Rock Loop

Got out yesterday afternoon and rode the whole park. This was the 3rd or 4th time I'd done the Boat Rock downhill and the first couple of times I was really challenged to find the lines and the flow.

Yesterday though, it clicked and--wow--that's a fun stretch of trail.

mtbr member
    I looped Boat Rock twice Saturday morning and find myself surprised by how much better I'm getting on that climb. It's definitely the most techy section in the park. My next goal is to clear the loop with no stopping or dabbing. Being as how I stop twice on the way up to rest, I have some way to go. This place forces one to improve.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Checking it out this Saturday at 10am with a decent sized group. Looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    The next loop is open. It is currently unnamed but were thinking "Ole Hoss." More climbing, but the downhill stretch from up that high lasts a while.

Caution: Watch for inattentive drivers coming up behind you when you're slowing to turn into R.K. I've had three near misses this summer. Apparently, brake lights and blinkers don't mean much to these driving '"phenoms."

lamer
    I'll be in Boone this week, and was thinking about checking out Rocky Knob and/or Emerald Outback/Beech Mtn. For someone that's only used to XC where might I have the most fun? My Rip9 with 140mm fork can probably handle anything in the area, but I don't think I'm all that interested in extreme DH or FR.

mtbr member
    Not much extreme dh or fr in the area. You will be fine on your bike for 90% of the riding here.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The next loop is open. It is currently unnamed but were thinking "Ole Hoss." More climbing, but the downhill stretch from up that high lasts a while.
    Awesome news. Is this the one off the top of Boat Rock loop that they have been showing on the map as the "advanced loop"?

I am heading up there on Friday for the day and probably meeting another friend but if anyone else wants to meet up to ride or say hello just lemme know.

Looking forward to trying it with flat pedals this time. After over a year of clipless it was actually Rocky Knob that inspired me to try flats again. Makes me nervous as hell riding those skinnys clipped in esp the one that goes up to the big boulder drop I've ate shite a couple times but luckily not on that one yet (knock on wood).

The Logzilla one is crazy long but at least it is close to the ground and kinda downhill so you can just coast and focus. Have not tried the "landscape arch" skinny that turns a little as it climbs yet so we' shall see...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhpnc View Post
    Awesome news. Is this the one off the top of Boat Rock loop that they have been showing on the map as the "advanced loop"?

I am heading up there on Friday for the day and probably meeting another friend but if anyone else wants to meet up to ride or say hello just lemme know.

Looking forward to trying it with flat pedals this time. After over a year of clipless it was actually Rocky Knob that inspired me to try flats again. Makes me nervous as hell riding those skinnys clipped in esp the one that goes up to the big boulder drop I've ate shite a couple times but luckily not on that one yet (knock on wood).

The Logzilla one is crazy long but at least it is close to the ground and kinda downhill so you can just coast and focus. Have not tried the "landscape arch" skinny that turns a little as it climbs yet so we' shall see...
    Yes, the loop above "Boat Rock" is open. This is not to say that everything above B.R. is ready, just to be clear. Frankly, unfinished trail just isn't any fun to ride.

I understand your hesitation about attempting/clearing some of the obstacles found around the park as I just added a full-face helmet to my box of gear for learning days. I'm trying to minimize any trips to the plastic surgeon or dentist. Not a good place to crash at speed.

-Lule

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    Not much extreme dh or fr in the area. You will be fine on your bike for 90% of the riding here.
    Not much extreme! Maybe you don't call it extreme, but my training wheels don't fit down most of the trail!

mtbr member
    Brah you can't whip a 29er...

mtbr member
    Some prose from our very own wordsmith: Rocky Knob Mountain Bike Park | North Carolina's Mountain Bike Park

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Had a great time out there. Got an excellent guided tour, little bit of rain the night before to make things even more fun, lots of snake bites, at least 2 or 3 diggers on the way down PB and J, beautiful scenery along that mountain side...

I'm not sure if Beech is opening up on weekends but between Beech, Sugar and Rocky Knob a freerider (which I am not) could make a solid weekend if they didn't want to drive 6 hours to Snowshoe... Maybe this will further effect Beech's open public decisions...

Members who have read this thread: 1