Rockshox service- Mtbr.com
    Big Mac

Rockshox service

Since suspension experts sold out, I no longer have my go to spot for suspension service. And I don't do fox. Does anybody know of a local shop that does rockshox service? Thanks.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Apart from fitting bushings, just about all of it is stuff you can do at home. If you're handy that way? First time you do it you'll get oil everywhere but as long as you don't lose bits or break anything it's not too hard. Lower leg service is simple.

mtbr member
    What RockShox fork/shock? Not sure about NC, but most local shops here in G'ville are now doing them in house. Most RockShox forks are very easy to maintain. The Pike is equivalent to FOX stuff, which can be DIY'd, albeit a bit more complicated.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Big Mac
    It's a pike dual air. I'm pretty handy, but my current issue is time. What is involved? It's just over a year old, and has had nothing done to it. I just know that it feels like shit. It needs some love, and maybe even some tuning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motomike View Post
    +1 for Fast Bike.

Dan Ennis is a pro and can get you set up.

If its just an air spring issue you can do that yourself. It would be helpful to know the symptoms to determine if you have an air spring or damper (or both) issue..
    On your left!

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    +1 for Fast Bike.

Dan Ennis is a pro and can get you set up.

If its just an air spring issue you can do that yourself. It would be helpful to know the symptoms to determine if you have an air spring or damper (or both) issue..
    Lol. I already told you that it feels like shit. What else do you need to know? . I'm not going to be able to explain it very well, I'm sorry, but it just feels really harsh all the time, especially fast through the chunk. It could very well be a setup issue, but it definitely needs a service. If it's pretty simple, I ain't skeered to give it a go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Lol. I already told you that it feels like shit. What else do you need to know? . I'm not going to be able to explain it very well, I'm sorry, but it just feels really harsh all the time, especially fast through the chunk. It could very well be a setup issue, but it definitely needs a service. If it's pretty simple, I ain't skeered to give it a go.
    I need precise compression and rebound forces in 10mm of stroke intervals through the entire range of travel... I mean its that easy man! haha. and a Dyno graph

The air spring kits are available from SRAM direct. If its a damper issue, or if you want to give it a 100% overhaul, give Fast Bike a shout...
    On your left!

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    I need precise compression and rebound forces in 10mm of stroke intervals through the entire range of travel... I mean its that easy man! haha. and a Dyno graph

The air spring kits are available from SRAM direct. If its a damper issue, or if you want to give it a 100% overhaul, give Fast Bike a shout...
    I'll get right on that. Might be in my best interest to take it fast bike. I'm going on a ski trip next week, so the timing is perfect. Thanks.

mtbr member
    In the future, don't wait a year before servicing your fork! It will save you money in the long run to have shorter service intervals, where most of the time all you really need is just some fresh oil and to clean the dust seals. If dirt finds its way past your dust seals, then it will severely affect the fork's performance, as well as sand away at your stanchions and bushings.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by motomike View Post
    In the future, don't wait a year before servicing your fork! It will save you money in the long run to have shorter service intervals, where most of the time all you really need is just some fresh oil and to clean the dust seals. If dirt finds its way past your dust seals, then it will severely affect the fork's performance, as well as sand away at your stanchions and bushings.
    I know, I know. I kept putting it off, and when I decided to get it done, suspension experts had closed the door. So here I am. I'm gonna try to do better.

Big Mac
    Anybody have any thoughts/experience with the Andreanni tuning?

mtbr member
    I have installed a few of their valve kits in Pikes and Boxxers. It's pretty easy. They include a new valve, oil, and shims for 3 different compression tunes. The replacement shims are designed to be used with some of the OEM shims. You will need a micrometer if you are assembling on your own. After install i noticed a lot more mid stroke support and an increase in small bump sensitivity. We (Motion Makers) can service anything Rock Shox. If you are looking for a more in depth tune with the Ohlins kit you should contact Fast bike Industries.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    I have installed a few of their valve kits in Pikes and Boxxers. It's pretty easy. They include a new valve, oil, and shims for 3 different compression tunes. The replacement shims are designed to be used with some of the OEM shims. You will need a micrometer if you are assembling on your own. After install i noticed a lot more mid stroke support and an increase in small bump sensitivity. We (Motion Makers) can service anything Rock Shox. If you are looking for a more in depth tune with the Ohlins kit you should contact Fast bike Industries.
    Cool. Can you give me pricing info, or do I need to call the shop? I'm not sure I need an in depth tune, as all I can tell you is my pike feels like shit. The coil pike on another bike does not. I want to fall in love with my dual air, I just don't know what I need to make that happen. I reckon I'm to A.D.D to deal with it and frankly I'm not that techy. I just need it to make me feel warm and fuzzy, like love does.

mtbr member
    I can't remember what the Ohlins kit costs retail wise. Its around $200 I think but I will look it up. We get them from Ohlins and usually they have them in stock. There have been a few changes with the new generation as well. When you say "dual air" I assume you mean "dual position" correct? A better question I guess is what size are the stanchions? 35mm? It sounds like a complete rebuild would do your fork wonders. There is only 5-10ml of oil in the lowers so you really don't want to exceed the service interval on anything with a bladder style damper (FIT, Charger etc). It sounds like there is a lot of friction in the air spring, bushings, dust/oil seals etc. Assuming you have the 35mm chassis I would venture a guess that you have the older style damper seal head. This would cause a lot of friction as well. Your damper bladder is most likely ingested with bath oil which will cause poor small bump sensitivity etc.

Big Mac
    I can't remember what the Ohlins kit costs retail wise. Its around $200 I think but I will look it up. We get them from Ohlins and usually they have them in stock. There have been a few changes with the new generation as well. When you say "dual air" I assume you mean "dual position" correct? A better question I guess is what size are the stanchions? 35mm? It sounds like a complete rebuild would do your fork wonders. There is only 5-10ml of oil in the lowers so you really don't want to exceed the service interval on anything with a bladder style damper (FIT, Charger etc). It sounds like there is a lot of friction in the air spring, bushings, dust/oil seals etc. Assuming you have the 35mm chassis I would venture a guess that you have the older style damper seal head. This would cause a lot of friction as well. Your damper bladder is most likely ingested with bath oil which will cause poor small bump sensitivity etc.
    Yes, 35 mm stanchions. Symptoms as described. Thanks. Sounds like a rebuild is in order. Can you tell me the pricing on that? Happy to call if need be.

mtbr member
    I would get the full rebuild kit which is $45. The service is $100 which includes installing the new sealhead (sealhead comes with full rebuild kit), bleeding damper, inspecting bushings, installing oil/dust seals, rebuilding/servicing air spring, and changing oil in the lowers obviously. If you wanted the Ohlins valve kit in top of that it would be an extra $30 labor. I work Mon-Thur evenings/nights so I can have it back to you the next day assuming all that is needed are rebuilds. If we have to order parts it could take a couple more days depending on where the parts are coming from.

Big Mac
    I would get the full rebuild kit which is $45. The service is $100 which includes installing the new sealhead (sealhead comes with full rebuild kit), bleeding damper, inspecting bushings, installing oil/dust seals, rebuilding/servicing air spring, and changing oil in the lowers obviously. If you wanted the Ohlins valve kit in top of that it would be an extra $30 labor. I work Mon-Thur evenings/nights so I can have it back to you the next day assuming all that is needed are rebuilds. If we have to order parts it could take a couple more days depending on where the parts are coming from.
    Cool. Sounds good. I'm leaving town Saturday evening for a week, and hoping to ride Saturday before I leave. Can I drop the whole bike off, or do I need to remove the fork and bring just it? Either way, looking forward to warm and fuzzy. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Whatever is easy for you. Bike or fork it's all good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Sorry to revive an old thread but Brad did a great job on my Rockshox Boxxer earlier this year. Highly recommended.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Thanks Kevin, appreciate the feedback!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dba4life View Post
    Sorry to revive an old thread but Brad did a great job on my Rockshox Boxxer earlier this year. Highly recommended.

Kevin
    Motion Makers are good people. They've always taken good care of me. Glad they solved your fork problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 2
    Cannondale CAAD12
    Niner RLT9
    Salsa Fargo
    Niner SIR9 27.5+
    Surly Krampus