The Riveter - Mills River, NC- Mtbr.com
    since 4/10/2009

The Riveter - Mills River, NC

So this just dropped today, it appears.

https://www.facebook.com/riveternc

The Riveter will be the first indoor bike park and climbing gym combo in the nation with over 16k square feet of climbing terrain; 18k sq. ft. of progressive jump lines, drop training, and the first Velosolutions Pump Park in the country; yoga studio; spin studio; community space; libation station; retail shop; and outdoor courses including a cross-country perimeter trail around the farm!
    The Riveter - Mills River, NC-theriveter.jpg

Looks like they're building it near Sierra Nevada.
    Last edited by Harold; 05-08-2019 at 04:49 PM.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Maybe SORBA can build and maintain those trails and stay out of Pisgah. Seems much more their speed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jamatt View Post
    Maybe SORBA can build and maintain those trails and stay out of Pisgah. Seems much more their speed.
    Super helpful comment. Nice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamatt View Post
    Dang... SORBA better get some aloe for that burn!

Seriously I do hope this will take some of the weekend warrior traffic away from the Forest. The more and more diverse places we have to ride is only a positive as far as I am concerned.

As this area becomes more of a ride center its nice to have more than just a few places to pedal...
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the affirmation. I feel validated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Seriously I do hope this will take some of the weekend warrior traffic away from the Forest. The more and more diverse places we have to ride is only a positive as far as I am concerned.
    This too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    I guess it depends on their business model/fee structure. I like to ride dirt jumps but don't go to Kolo because I feel like it's too expensive to be there for only an hour. Reeb is more of a value I feel but it's too far away for me to go regularly. I'm sure the overhead for an operation like this is high so it might be priced slightly higher than Kolo or Reeb. The advantage this place will have is it can operate while it's raining. I would definitely go if I had a day to ride and it was raining.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I guess a velosolutions pump park is different from a pump track? If not, Gastonia has a velosolutions pump track, so they wouldn't even be the first in the state. I'm guessing there will be several different pump tracks which would make it a park?

Sounds interesting though. I'll check it out at least once.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by matty22c View Post
    I guess a velosolutions pump park is different from a pump track? If not, Gastonia has a velosolutions pump track, so they wouldn't even be the first in the state. I'm guessing there will be several different pump tracks which would make it a park?

Sounds interesting though. I'll check it out at least once.
    It's different. Had to dig a bit to find it, though.

https://velosolutions.com/pump-track...park-sils-i-d/

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

What does a bean mean?!
    This place sounds too good to be true. That's a ton of stuff they're trying to do all under one roof, plus it's a working farm to boot. I know Elizabeth and she's definitely got her shit together so I hope it works for them. I'm mostly excited for the climbing gym part.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post

Nice, cool that is what I was hoping.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by COTarHeel View Post
    This place sounds too good to be true. That's a ton of stuff they're trying to do all under one roof, plus it's a working farm to boot. I know Elizabeth and she's definitely got her shit together so I hope it works for them. I'm mostly excited for the climbing gym part.
    No doubt all of the different aspects of the business will mean for a much steadier and diverse income stream. I have a feeling that mountain bikers will be a relatively small part of everything. I bet more people will go there with BMX or dirt jump bikes. I agree with the comment above that KOLO's pricing doesn't really mesh well with what they offer. They price themselves in the same league as places like Mega Caverns and not much less than Ray's for a day pass (the gap gets much bigger for annual passes, where KOLO is more of a value compared to them). If The Riveter prices themselves in that same neighborhood, I think it'll put some pressure on KOLO with regards to its day pass pricing relative to their offerings (drop price, add more to ride, or possibly both). I expect the annual pass pricing to be closer to Ray's, though.

My wife is the one who saw this first and told me about it. She's particularly interested in the bike part for wintertime riding. She's always been VERY averse to the cold and avoids riding outside in the wintertime except on the absolute nicest days. I've been riding with the NICA kids pretty frequently since about October (though shorter distances), so my riding fitness never really dropped off this winter, but hers definitely did and it's been frustrating her.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by avlfj40 View Post
    The advantage this place will have is it can operate while it's raining. I would definitely go if I had a day to ride and it was raining.
    exactly...

I was racing PMBAR this past weekend, coming down Cantrell in the rain and was riding in a river of chocolate colored mud-water. So much trail washing into the rivers... SAD!

If its raining best believe I'll be there with my DJ to ride indoor jumps, pump tracks, and whatnot.

I see this place catering more toward the same folks who come up on Saturday mornings and just ride Thrift to Lower Black and then day drink at The Hub for 6 hours. Locals will certainly use it but I would guess its heavily targeted toward the weekend crowd with money to burn. Given the description and scale I imagine it wont be cheap to use.

As long as all those Atlanta/Floridians keep spending that $$ in WNC its all good!
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Velosolutions did build the one in Poston Park outside Charlotte, so they will not be the first to have one:

https://m.facebook.com/go2gaston/pho...830761/?type=3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post

Oh, I see. It is different.

What does a bean mean?!
    Quote Originally Posted by matty22c View Post
    Gastonia has a velosolutions pump track, so they wouldn't even be the first in the state.
    My take is they're claiming to be the first place to have BOTH an indoor bike park AND climbing gym.

since 4/10/2009
    My take is they're claiming to be the first place to have BOTH an indoor bike park AND climbing gym.
    they're claiming that, too. But if you look at my link that shows the first "Velosolutions Pump Park" in Switzerland, you'll see that it's a bit different from a traditional pump track and so their claim on that front would ALSO be true.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Completely agreed. Stoked for a modern climbing gym. And agreed with others about the operate in the rain part - this weekend is a prime example.

My biggest fear on this place is it won't be big enough or have enough parking! Much excite!