Riding Partner- Mtbr.com

Thread: Riding Partner

mtbr member

Riding Partner

Looking for a riding partner and someone to take me to my races. Boone, NC. Dont have a running car presently.

Big Mac
    Nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Wait...what?

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Uber is probably more appropriate.

since 4/10/2009
    call an uber

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    ride there

mtbr member
    No. Its 61 miles one way. Im an enduro and downhill racer; not xc. Id be too tired for the actual race if I rode there. Two; why would I hire an uber driver; when the point is to get riding friends.

Cant help but think there isnt one forum or group that has real people on it. That actually meet people. Tired of dealing with keyboard warriors/keyboard riders.

since 4/10/2009
    I've met several people from mtbr over the years. Some, just last weekend.

Your request is weird for mtbr. You're asking for a chauffeur. Sounds less about riding with the person, and more about getting a ride. And you honestly haven't presented yourself well on the forum, either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragracer88 View Post
    No. Its 61 miles one way. Im an enduro and downhill racer; not xc. Id be too tired for the actual race if I rode there. Two; why would I hire an uber driver; when the point is to get riding friends.

Cant help but think there isnt one forum or group that has real people on it. That actually meet people. Tired of dealing with keyboard warriors/keyboard riders.
    Some tips from a REAL person that rides 5-7 times a week and also works in the cycling industry (Gravity I might add).

1-Maybe try introducing yourself. It goes a long way.
    2-Consider the tone of your post. It basically goes like this: "Hey my car is broken, I want to ride bikes with someone and take me to races, I don't want to pay for it". You come off as entitled and think that a stranger should just automatically do something for you for free. What type of response were you expecting? "Oh sure, let me drop all of my responsibilities, come pick you up, take you riding, drop you off, come pick you up again so you can go race"? I think your perception of "real" and "fake" people might be different than the rest of the world's.
    3-Maybe try offering something in return for someone "taking you to races" (gas money would be a good start, split cost for food etc).
    4-Maybe outline your plans for fixing your car. "I have a job" would be a good thing to mention.
    5-If you want to come off as honest, genuine and sincere you might want to use proper grammar.
    6-When you receive the response in a tone that you yourself set by your initial post don't act like we (the "fake people") are the ones that don't have a grip on reality.
    7-Here are a few life tips from 35 years of being in the real world as a real person, and 12 years in the bike industry: Nothing is free, the world owes you nothing, hard work pays off.

mtbr member
    Cant blame me for being frustrated; given Ive only gotta like 3 or 4 realistic; on topic; serious responses to date in all my threads. Thank you again chazpat; and the guy that honestly answered my clutch derailler question as well.

Second; sure, sugarbrad....if I got a message from someone in va/tn/nc; it goes without saying that some compensation would be involved.

mtbr member
    Cant blame me for being frustrated; given Ive only gotta like 3 or 4 realistic; on topic; serious responses to date in all my threads. Thank you again chazpat; and the guy that honestly answered my clutch derailler question as well.

Second; sure, sugarbrad....if I got a message from someone in va/tn/nc; it goes without saying that some compensation would be involved.
    Another tip:
    -Since you seem to be getting the same responses over and over again, consider what questions you are asking and how you are asking them. Maybe the problem isn't everyone else but yourself (meaning what you are asking and how)? If you aren't getting realistic responses, maybe the question you are asking isn't realistic. This thread is a perfect example.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Are you a real person?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_riddler View Post
    Are you a real person?
    I'm taking the high ground here people.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    I'm taking the high ground here people.
    I'm serious, I'm convinced this guy is a troll and is just playing you...

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Dammit this place is only big enough for one troll and that's been my job since 2003. He needs to leave.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by the_riddler View Post
    I'm serious, I'm convinced this guy is a troll and is just playing you...
    he probably is. hence the responses he gets in EVERY. THREAD. reasonable people/responses only go to show how glaringly likely it is that he's trolling.

mtbr member
    I did run into a guy at Rocky Knob on a Walmart bike that had some issues (the bike and the person). The bike matched the description from the other threads dragracer has posted in. So that's why I tried for the high road... But... I am well aware of the fact that we are most likely being trolled.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Brad I just confirmed with someone from Boone that you are correct, and this guy is for real. Carry on with your logic sir.

mtbr member
    10-4. Glad I took the high road.

mtbr member
    My only issue that people can't realize certain facts. Such as bike drag racing is a thing. The IHPVA has the record posted for quarter mile bike drag race. 25.95 seconds at 46 mph. And I never said I was pro. If I was cat 1 open or Pro, I'd have full sponsorships and would have transportation expenses covered. Look up John Forces history in his career. Before he had full sponsorships, with Castrol GTX and such, he paid for everything of pocket. Thing is, my conclusions of most on here is based on idiotic responses that are completely irrelevant. Such as when someone posts a fabricated picture of a mountain bike with a 36 inch drag slick, or when someone else posted I needed a wheelie bar. A wheelie bar isn't needed until you get to 300 horsepower on a sportbike , or 800 horsepower on a car. A mountain bike, which weighs 20 to 40 pounds, and can't produce any more than 3 horsepower at best with the rider, does not need a wheelie bar. Unless you heavily modified it to house a turbo hub motor or gas engine.

mtbr member
    I hear ya, the internet can be a cynical, sarcastic place. I loved watching drag races when I was a kid. For this thread lets focus on the question you asked. Since you frequent Rocky Knob have you seen the advertisements for Dirty Thursdays? Kristian Jackson leads a volunteer trail work crew every Thursday evening. He is the trail boss at Rocky Knob and is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. That might be a great way for you to meet fellow riders/racers.

mtbr member
    dragracer88- On a side note I am more than happy to do a safety check on your bike sometime. If you are who I think you are then I talked to you at the trail head a couple weeks ago. Seemed like you had a couple bike issues that maybe I could help with to make it safe to ride. Also, you said you didn't have a helmet and you were saving your money to buy one. Maybe someone on this forum has an older one they could donate locally. I will email some people at the shops I am affiliated with, maybe we can come up with a helmet.

mtbr member
    It's coming next week. And I'm taking it easy atm. When my helmet, gloves and palm protectors come from my sponsors next week, I'll be back at the park. Nice to know there's atleast someone serious around Brad. Unlike the guy weeks ago that accepts a race challenge on the Dirt bike style track at the park, for Saturday at ten am, and there never was a lifted Tacoma that day.

since 4/10/2009
    Nice to know there's atleast someone serious around Brad. Unlike the guy weeks ago that accepts a race challenge on the Dirt bike style track at the park, for Saturday at ten am, and there never was a lifted Tacoma that day.
    Maybe you should cut it out with the challenges and the criticisms of who's "serious" and all of that BS. Just relax and enjoy riding, eh?

Big Mac
    Super, duper nice.

mtbr member
    I'm a Racer. If I'm not accepting or issuing race challenges; I'm following another rider; who is timing me. I don't do casual sunday rides. Its always practice runs or races.

since 4/10/2009
    I'm a Racer. If I'm not accepting or issuing race challenges; I'm following another rider; who is timing me. I don't do casual sunday rides. Its always practice runs or races.
    You can ride hard and not be a douche.

Big Mac
    Go speed racer, go.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    KOMers gonna KOM

mtbr member
    Just where are you getting this king of the mountain crap from? Koms are pros. They do red bull hardline events, which have 20 to 200 foot jumps. Quite tired of repeating the fact I am PRO AM. NOT PRO. Once again and for the last time, if I was pro, this thread wouldn't exist. As pros have full sponsorships and get 100 thousand sponsorship bonus checks for placing in the top 5.

mtbr member
    Just where are you getting this king of the mountain crap from? Koms are pros. They do red bull hardline events, which have 20 to 200 foot jumps. Quite tired of repeating the fact I am PRO AM. NOT PRO. Once again and for the last time, if I was pro, this thread wouldn't exist. As pros have full sponsorships and get 100 thousand sponsorship bonus checks for placing in the top 5.
    I actually just learned something. I've always used PRO-AM to designate an event that mixes pros and amateurs and semi-pro to refer to an individual who is sponsored or gets paid but not enough to make a living doing it. Turns out they're basically interchangeable. Thanks Wikipedia!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    It's just a flesh wound!

since 4/10/2009
    By that loose definition, I am also PRO-AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IPunchCholla View Post
    I actually just learned something. I've always used PRO-AM to designate an event that mixes pros and amateurs and semi-pro to refer to an individual who is sponsored or gets paid but not enough to make a living doing it. Turns out they're basically interchangeable. Thanks Wikipedia!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'm not. Unless you count getting paid to not wear/ride their gear. I might have a shot at that!
    It's just a flesh wound!

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by IPunchCholla View Post
    I'm not. Unless you count getting paid to not wear/ride their gear. I might have a shot at that!
    I don't race or work in a shop, but I still have access to a handful of very nice perks that I occasionally take advantage of. Being a certified skills instructor who lives in a market so saturated that I'm lucky to work a couple clinics or guide a couple times a year.

I probably ought to bite the bullet and buy my own insurance so I can do my own freelance work instead of working under someone else's insurance.

Related to your earlier comments, it's probably worth avoiding using motorsports lingo for mtb, the way dragracer likes to do. I really don't even think the term 'semi-pro' is really all that useful. As a racer, you are either pro or not, and it relates to your racing category. It can be your job, or not. But it is no different from saying you race cat 3 or cat 1 or cat 6. Anyone these days can have various sponsorship deals. If racing is your job, you probably have a contract with a team or a brand that writes your paychecks. And access to better sponsorship deals. I suppose it is theoretically possible to race for a living and not have a contract with a team, and to have your own sponsorship deals. But I expect it is rather difficult to go independent that way for long.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Harold; 05-11-2018 at 12:52 PM.

mtbr member
    PRO AM is not semi pro. Semi pro is cat 1/open, the class below pro. I'm below open but slightly better than amateurs.

mtbr member
    PRO AM is not semi pro. Semi pro is cat 1/open, the class below pro. I'm below open but slightly better than amateurs.

Humblebrag

mtbr member

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar_Brad View Post
    I did run into a guy at Rocky Knob on a Walmart bike that had some issues (the bike and the person). The bike matched the description from the other threads dragracer has posted in. So that's why I tried for the high road... But... I am well aware of the fact that we are most likely being trolled.
    Not surprised to hear this. I never thought he was a troll... Internet's a tough place though, especially when you come in guns a blazing.

Besides, he's so delusional none of this seems to be affecting his perception of himself. We are all just further proof that he's the greatest and everyone else sucks... Why not have some fun with it?

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fetty_wap View Post
    Humblebrag
    I don't think it can be a humble brag when it's total nonsense.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fetty_wap View Post
    Humblebrag
    nah, he just means cat6

mtbr member
    I'm not a troll and I know what I'm talking about. Not my fault people can't handle reality and facts and do some simple research. And you greatly confuse realist from delusional , dwayyo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You say you are a racer? Which races have you competed in? You say you are looking for rides to enduro and DH races in the area? Which ones? Are you planning on racing downhill on your hardtail? What protective gear do you have? Downhill races will require you to have at least a full face helmet.
    I'm glad that you are pumped about mountain biking and racing. Its cool that you hope to be a real drag racer one day. However, I do not believe that spending time training for bicycle drag racing will help you achieve your motorize drag racing goals. Its fine to mountain bike ride/race because you like it, but again don't expect it to help you accomplish your drag racing goals. Your time would be better spent hooking up with a local drag team and offering your help in whatever way they need. My father in law has been drag racing for 30+ years and has won a good number NHRA events in his cats. He is always looking for help at the track. Personally it isn't my thing, so Ive never gone. Either that or save up to get a cheap motorcycle and gear (maybe 2k total) and start racing. It really isn't that hard. Both of those will net you so much more viable experience in actual drag racing.

mtbr member
    That's basically the plan. Depending on this season results and next year's, I may switch main sports to AMA MX and sportsmen in the NHRA.

mtbr member
    A little encouragement instead of judgment might go along way people. I say good luck with your ventures dragracer88!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Not gonna lie, this has been THE most entertaining post I've read in a long time, I see raw human emotion, the immature getting coached by the mature, great storyline

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Hey Brendan thanks for riding with us today! You killed it, I could barely keep up for sure. Good luck this season!

mtbr member
    Thanks. Just hope I'm not stuck doing just one Enduro all season.

mtbr member
    Yes, Matty. Pro Am Cat 2. Quite a few races, including a period of BMX racing 6 years ago before I moved to MTB.

No to using my handtail for dh, and as far as gear goes....here's what I have so far. Goggles are coming Monday.

mtbr member
    Gear
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riding Partner-20180516_163807.jpg  

Riding Partner-20180516_163743.jpg  

Riding Partner-20180516_163732.jpg  

mtbr member
    I have had dozens of bike industry companies offer me big money to never be seen on their bikes or wearing their gear. I call it reverse sponsorship. I send a pic of my fat ass to a bike company and threaten to buy their stuff and wear it to a race unless they pay me off. Works great.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Thanks. Just hope I'm not stuck doing just one Enduro all season.
    You might like Enduros give it a shot.

mtbr member
    I mean I want to do more than one Enduro, Brad. Just don't want to be the one stuck only running one event all season.

mtbr member
    I mean I want to do more than one Enduro, Brad. Just don't want to be the one stuck only running one event all season.
    Gotcha. No worries there will be plenty of events. We are lucky to live in Western NC!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Drag, good to hear man. Nice gear! It is crucial, especially if you want to stay healthy. Which is one of the most important pieces of progressing.
    There are a lot of OG bmx dudes out there crushing it. Some of them are 50+ years young and still school me on the DH.
    Just try to take incremental steps in pushing your limits. Don't go too hard too fast. We have all done it and some of us have scars to prove it. For instance, when I was younger and getting into rock climbing, I really was eager to lead climb. I hopped on something too far over my head at the time and took a nice 40+ ft fall, almost to the ground (kicked my belayer in the head). I got away really lucky there. All around the route I tried were perfect beginner lead climbs which would have been perfect for me.
    Anyway, just try not to rush into the harder aspects of the sport too much. Otherwise you might be sidelined for months or more with an injury.
    Also checkout some youtube skills videos (skills with phil and gmbn are great). There is a lot you can work on just dicking around parking lots or streets right out your front door.