Riding near Seymour Johnson or Pope Air Force Base?- Mtbr.com
    HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

Riding near Seymour Johnson or Pope Air Force Base?

I was wondering what the riding, etc is like around these areas. I'll be moving back to the US (from Italy) in summer of 05 and want to check out the possibilities. How close is it to Pisgah, etc?

Thanks!

dirtbag
    Quote Originally Posted by daveIT
    I was wondering what the riding, etc is like around these areas. I'll be moving back to the US (from Italy) in summer of 05 and want to check out the possibilities. How close is it to Pisgah, etc?

Thanks!
    I can only comment on Pope, don't know too much about SJ.

Riding near Pope AFB/Ft Bragg isnt too bad. Only one legal trail in Fayetteville/Spring Lake and that's at Smith Lake Rec area (on Fort Bragg property). There's also trails on Chicken Road/Hefner School but those are "illegal" since they too are on Ft Bragg property, BUT the trail is routed to close to the ASP (ammo supply point). The ranger rick types(not MPs) on post patrol off and on and they'll ticket yer knobbie tire butt quick. Plus the local trails are pretty sandy. (central Carolina/Sand Hills). The road riding on post (in the range area/west of post) are also great for lunch rides.

There are accessible and much better trails close in Sanford about 30 miles to the west and in the Raleigh triangle area if you dont mind making a day trip on weekends. Pisgah is definitely worth the trip, cept it's a farther drive. Better to make that trip a long weekender.

mtbr member

don't think there is much in Goldsboro (SJ)

First off, I live in Raleigh but grew up in Kinston, 30 minutes from Goldsboro. It is pretty flat. There might be stuff there but I have never heard. I think the closest good trails may be the Bicycle Post trails in Greenville, NC which is about 40 minutes from Goldsboro.

You can always come into Raleigh from SJ. (an hour) Pope is further west and I think you can get to Uwharrie (Troy) pretty easily from Fayetteville. Plus like the other poster said you can get to the stuff in Sanford (San Lee) pretty easily too.

good luck...

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    I've really been spoiled with Colorado Springs and then Italy. Nothing else sounds as good!

Members who have read this thread: 0