Riding near Davidson NC- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Riding near Davidson NC

Hi everyone - I may wind up having to relocate to Davidson (company is there) and was wondering about riding near by. I like technical XC trails. I tried to do a search on the trail review piece on this site. However, as I am from England I do not know the towns listed and where they are in relation to Davidson and in turn how long a drive to get to them. I know that Charlotte is pretty close but that is it. I am used to driving 20 minutes or so to good trails and riding after work. I hope to still be able to do that. I appreciate pisgah and tsali are supposed to be great but that is a weekend or at least day trip. Any local insider info would be great! thanks.

rob
    slakDawg
    Pre-welcome to the Charlotte area. Poplar Tent is the best technical XC trail in the area and not very far from Davidson (Cornelius, Huntersville) area. You also have North Meck trail and further north in Troutman is the Itusi trail (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LANO/). Starting this fall, ground is being broken for a new trail in Davidson (Fisher Farm). Catawba River front is another good XC trail to check out. There are several other trails in the area, just check out the sites below.

http://www.tarheeltrailblazers.com/ local trail advocacy/maintainence group, forum isn't very active
    http://smallbrowndog.com more active local forum, lots of smack talk and good times, plus we actually post group rides and do Pisgah trips every other month or so

mtbr member
    Also, you will be no more than 3 hours away from some of the finest techincal riding in the Eastern US, in my relatively experienced opinion as good as anything out West. Under the trail review section, look at trails listed in Brevard or Asheville. When you get here, by the Pisgah District Trail Map produced by the National Geographic Society. If you want to get an idea of how great this riding can be, do a search on Pisgah District and just check out any photos, maps , and posts you can find. You can have 45-plus mile days where a vast majority of your riding is on techincal singletrack - or you can do flying fast 15 mile loops- or whatever else comes to your mind. Know that this can mean a lot of climbing, and there is not much shuttle friendly riding (thank goodness, in my opinion). Peace.

Get out of town!
    Hit me up when you get in town if you would like more specifics...Poplar Tent/Beech Springs is very easy to get to from Davidson and is less than 20 minutes away. Check out North Meck Park as well. Not real technical but a great place to get a ride in after work. Coming from Davidson go south on I-77 to exit 25. Take a left onto Sam Furr Rd. Go through one intersection (you will pass a shopping center on your left) and then take a right onto 115 (when you see the funeral home turn right). North Meck park is less than a quarter mile on your right. This trail is even closer than Beech Springs and would be considered a local trail for you....about 10 minutes from Davidson.

Exit 25 is also called the Birkdale area (this is where I live) and if you went right instead of left off the exit you will find some good restaurants, bars, and shopping.

mtbr member

Thank You

Guys, Thanks a lot - I appreciate it. I am likely over in Davidson soon on a scouting trip. Probably without a bike but maybe I could rent one from a bike shop and check out the trails before the move for real. I'll be ckecking out neighbourhoods houses etc. too,

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Southpark Cycles in Charlotte rents bikes.
    http://www.southparkcycles.com/rentals.html

Ski during the off-season

Smile I live in Davidson

Pre-welcome to the area -- I live in Davidson. I moved here 7 years ago and love the place. Believe it or not, my neighborhood, which has less 60 homes it, has two families from England. Small world

Anyway, most of the nearby trails have already been listed:
    - Popular Tent - 20-25 minutes depending on traffic - most technical riding nearby.

- North Mecklenburg Park - 10-15 minutes away - somewhat technical, but only 3 miles of track.

- Lake Norman State Park - 20 min away - not very technical & a bit faster than the others. Its upto 7 miles of single track, and another phase will begin next fall.

There are some other parks with 'bike/walking' paths, but nothing dedicated to mtb'ing. The town is encouraging more people to walk/ride bikes and have started putting bike paths on some of the major roads. Additionally, there is Davidson University -- I live 1/2 mile from Davidson University, and will ride around there when I do not have time to drive somewhere. They have a cross-country running tracking (a dirt path with gravel) through the woods that is 5mile/8km long, which biker's can use as long as we do not use it during core 'running' hours (4pm-6pm). The path is somewhat hilly and is pretty well maintained. Additionally, there are some paths through the woods too, which mix the ride up a little bit.

As far as renting a bike, there are a couple of nearby bike shops. The Wheel (tele: 704-896-3331), where I normally go, is just outside of Davidson (its a smaller shop and does not have a web site). There is a bigger shop, Bike Source, in Cornelius (a small town next to Davidson).

Contact me if you want any additional info -- perhaps we can hook-up for some rides once you are here.

mtbr member

Thanks

I may not have to relocate now but instead be in Davidson regularly...still to be decided. I'll be there shortly after the 4th. If I can I plan on renting a bike and getting on the trails so a "tour guide" would be great.....