Riding with Dogs...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

New question here. Riding with Dogs...

The wife and I will be visiting relatives in Tryon, NC next week, with our dog, Neko. Neko is an awesome mountain biker and is super sweet. We were planning on going to Dupont, but looking at the forum, it seems like it's a bad idea to ride with dogs there. Is it a definite taboo? Are the rules enforced? Tickets issued? Are there any other places within an hour of Tryon that we can ride with Neko? We're looking for something not too technical....more Dupont or Tsali, rather than Pisgah. Any suggestions for worthwhile, dog friendly rides? Thanks!

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    I don't think I have ever seen a dog w/ mtbers in DuPont....I wouldn't do it.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

ready to ride
    from http://www.dupontforest.com/equestrian.asp

Dogs must be on leashes. There is some discussion regarding the possibility of designating areas where dogs can be taken off their leashes. At this time, no area has been designated so the rule applies.

mtbr member
    The Southside trail system in Spartanburg is very dog-friendly. I take mine there all the time. I don't know if they have any rules about dogs, but I have never had any problems with mine being off-leash.

http://upstatesorba.org/index.php?op...=124&Itemid=76

If you stay on the outer loop, there is a creek where Fido can get water and go for a swim.

This is about 45 minutes from Tryon.

Also, if you want to just get in a hike, the Blue Wall passage of teh Palmetto trail is near Tryon. There are a couple of good lakes for the pup to swim in.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Take the dog for a hike at Jones Gap State Park. Beautiful, rugged, and close.

drunken pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    Yep. I love Jones Gap Dogs are supposed to be leashed there but up on the rugged stuff during the week your chances of seeing other users are slim.

If you ride with your dog off leash in Dupont you stand a fair chance of getting a ticket or warning (if you are lucky).
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

That's damn yankee to you
    Aug 2008
    I take my dogs everywhere but DuPont. Occasionally I will sneak them in on a week day on the other side of the park-- cedar rock and the stuff over there. Tsali, Bent Creek, the rest of pisgah. They are always with me there.
    And +1 for the stuff in Southside. Took my dogs there a lot this winter.

Have fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    You know....... whatever bike they are riding, assure them its the biggest bike of any guy you have ever ridden with.

mtbr member
    Jones Gap would actually be a bit of a drive from Tryon...no good way to get there although it may not be that far as the crow flies. If the OP wants to hike, the Palmetto trail (no bikes, don't get me started) comes right through there, you can easily pick it up off Dug Hill Road at Lake Lanier.

To MTB, you could find some tame stuff at Pisgah. Like Black/Thrift/Sycamore at Brevard. Bent Creek has plenty of tame trails and that's probably your easiest drive straight up 26.

mtbr member
    lsc- i figured there was a crow's flight back way, guess not. Good to know.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I ride Bent Creek every week w/ my German Shepherd, absolutely zero problems there. We come across other off-leash K9's most every trip. If you want "not too technical" and K9 friendly, Bent Creek is definitely the ticket.

mtbr member
    lsc- i figured there was a crow's flight back way, guess not. Good to know.
    you know...there actually used to be more of a "crow's flight" from Tryon...you could do it in a 4x4 ...right over the top of Hogback and Glassy, came out near the Poinsett Bridge (watershed area) before Jim Anthony gated the damn road. last time I tried it I got asked to leave ;-)

Members who have read this thread: 0