Ride to Race this Saturday Needed! Compensation- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ride to Race this Saturday Needed! Compensation

Needing a ride to 985 Camp Grier Road this Saturday. Early morning. It's Old Fort. 90 minute drive/48 to 62 miles from Boone . Since people think I'm joking, here. If needed, here is compensation.

Ride to Race this Saturday Needed! Compensation-20180807_192100.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dragracer88 View Post
    Needing a ride to 985 Camp Grier Road this Saturday. Early morning. It's Old Fort. 90 minute drive/48 to 62 miles from Boone . Since people think I'm joking, here. If needed, here is compensation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180807_192100.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	1211339
    Someone start a GoFundMe to get this aspiring racer a car

mtbr member
    Or you could...you know ...actually take me up on the offer and have 100.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amagad View Post
    Someone start a GoFundMe to get this aspiring racer a car
    Really gotta say this is the most unrealistic and irrelevant reply or suggestion Ive seen. I highly doubt anyones going to donate 1500-2000 dollars to get me a truck in less than 5 days.

Its more realistic to just take up my offer.

since 4/10/2009
    Its more realistic to just take up my offer.
    Or, how about you live in a small town and the potential number of MTBR members from there, who are ALSO going to the same race is exceedingly small. Most people don't really want to be a ride hailing service, so that cuts your pool even more.

Setting up a fund to help you out more substantially and long term is actually a really nice suggestion, so don't be mean to the guy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yeah, I woulda pitched in a couple hundred bucks to get it going but judging by the attitude carried over the internet, not sure if I'd want to fund someone like that and for that reason, im out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'm thinking we could gofundme something like this:

Ride to Race this Saturday Needed! Compensation-maxresdefault.jpg

Pros:
    -low barrier to entry
    -high mpg
    -gets to practice cornering on the way to the races
    -gets to smell the roses

cons:
    -none

#profit

mtbr member
    While Harold has a point....at the same time, theres places a 50cc moped cant legally be. Such as 221 in Marion (which you have to go through to get to Old Fort.) I know, I used to live in Marion last year. Wasn't much to do; it was a boring retirement community.

Anyway, tried to ride The Hyper Shocker to walmart one day....Police stop me and tell me no Mopeds or Bicycles are allowed on 221.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    You'd probably be more likely to get responses on Facebook than here. The community here is real small and you are in a smaller city, so the number of folks living there that are going to be going to the enduro are a lot more limited.

If there is an event page for the race, you might be able to post there and see if someone is passing through or coming from Boone.

mtbr member
    Maybe check out alternative means of transport besides cars?

Looks like a bus will run ya about the same or less than you cash offer:
    https://locations.greyhound.com/bus-...nc#fare-search

Not sure if you can take a bike on a bus though...
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Uber estimate for that trip is right around $100.

Done and done.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    I still need to get back after the race. And no, greyhound doesnt allow bikes. It would be a hassle. And Im not willing to disassemble my bike, put it in a bike and board Greyhound.

Especially when I dont have a mechanic or Team to put the bike properly back together for me before the race. And I dont know how to build a bike.

Kinda the whole point Ive posted on here...because unlike Uber....I know other mountain bikers will have pickup trucks or vehicles with a trailer or bike rack.

As far as gofundme goes, Ive never had a successful campaign...so thats why I doubt enough would donate. Never seen anything greater than 0 to 150 dollars donated.

Whereas, other Bike/Racing related campaigns get thousands.

Ill be surprised if I get any help and the end goal of a better mountain bike, a truck and dirtbike...which equal 6, 000 dollars all together at cheapest, does not take me 2-4 years to save up for. Other than a few sponsors, Im still 85-90 percent an Amateur Privateer.

How these two campaigns get better results than anything Ive tried or that a friend has started, I dont know.

https://www.gofundme.com/stmmbikefund

https://www.gofundme.com/bruce039s-d...ng-awards-trip

mtbr member
    Sorry Amagad. Im under alot of Stress and really trying to make it to this race.

since 4/10/2009
    Ridung is not supposed to cause stress.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I still need to get back after the race.
    ~50 miles on the road isn't a bad pedal; I know guys that slide out and do 30 during their lunch break.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    i am not a life coach or anything, but if you can get a job making $12 an hour somewhere, that is close to $500 a week before taxes. Cut back on unnecessary expenses. Work for a while and save a bit of money and you should be able to afford payments on a $5,000 car or truck. It won't be fancy, but it should get you where you want to go. You might even consider joining the National Guard or Army Reserves. They provide good part time income and benefits for working 2 days a month and a couple of weeks in the summer.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Haha... I love how this started as a "can I catch a ride" post and now has us signing this dude up for Military service and telling him to get a job and buy a scooter haha...

Good stuff folks, keep it coming...

Just start your own race series in Boone and you wont have to travel...done!
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Haha... I love how this started as a "can I catch a ride" post and now has us signing this dude up for Military service and telling him to get a job and buy a scooter haha...

Good stuff folks, keep it coming...

Just start your own race series in Boone and you wont have to travel...done!
    It's not just the "I need a ride" post. It's the WEEKLY "I need a ride" post. Perhaps we can start a whole new forum on MTBR just to help this gentleman get to races. And the military ain't a bad way to get yourself started towards financial independence.

It's certainly a better way to earn a living than being a pro downhill mountain biker. The total purse for a world cup downhill race is only about $10K. There are a few guys who can get Red Bull or some other company to pay them a salary to go around the world making rad videos and jumping off of cliffs, but it's not really a great career plan.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Just pedal everywhere and consider it 'training'.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I still need to get back after the race. And no, greyhound doesnt allow bikes. It would be a hassle. And Im not willing to disassemble my bike, put it in a bike and board Greyhound.

Especially when I dont have a mechanic or Team to put the bike properly back together for me before the race. And I dont know how to build a bike.

Kinda the whole point Ive posted on here...because unlike Uber....I know other mountain bikers will have pickup trucks or vehicles with a trailer or bike rack.

As far as gofundme goes, Ive never had a successful campaign...so thats why I doubt enough would donate. Never seen anything greater than 0 to 150 dollars donated.

Whereas, other Bike/Racing related campaigns get thousands.

Ill be surprised if I get any help and the end goal of a better mountain bike, a truck and dirtbike...which equal 6, 000 dollars all together at cheapest, does not take me 2-4 years to save up for. Other than a few sponsors, Im still 85-90 percent an Amateur Privateer.

How these two campaigns get better results than anything Ive tried or that a friend has started, I dont know.

https://www.gofundme.com/stmmbikefund

https://www.gofundme.com/bruce039s-d...ng-awards-trip
    I saw a couple of months ago you had a gofundme and it wasn't getting any traction. That has to be pretty frustrating, you seem really dedicated to making things work for yourself.

I did look at the two gofundme pages you'd listed. One guy was a famous drag racer on the East Coast and the other motorcycle dude apparently produces youtube content that had some followers. In short, they had a backstory.

I don't know you but I pick up from your postings that you probably have a story as well. People knowing your story, attaching to your story, and then wanting to be a part of your story is what might would get you community support.

I do respect your efforts and your apparent ability to push through other's ugliness towards you. I hope good things for you but there're probably no shortage of folks in that room. If you had something up I would give within my means which isn't much but it's more than nothing.

mtbr member
    When I have one Sponsor giving me money to get to a race, then another that Is covering race entry....yeah its stressful when I cant get a ride from other riders. Even when Im willing to pay them for the gas.

And No. I just bought 200 dollar Racing Tires...do you really think Im going to ride the race bike in full gear 62 miles to Old Fort?! Im not going to wear these tires down by doing something that stupid. Not to mention I deal with 4 assholes in cars today just riding to and from work today. They clearly were not cyclists. Cyclists dont honk at other cyclists. Theres respect and courtesy involved.

Lastly, why do you feel the urge to exaggerate things, Mike? Its far from weekly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    dang

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    @dragracer88 is just a bad ass, keep on looking for those rides brotha, race on!

mtbr member
    Well I'm done. Honestly tired of the "Spend more money" replies/posts. It's been like 6 times or so now. I've only ever heard get a taxi, uber, lyft, enterprise or go buy a 200 dollar gopro and 40 to 70 dollar timer, between all my ride requests and requests for a riding partner.

Raleigh
    Nothing good ever comes fast and easy in my life. It usually takes a lot of time and effort.

Sometimes I endure being frustrated, overwhelmed, you name it ... but it's all worth it in the long run because I'm doing something I love to do, and would do anything to make it happen.

So, don't quit now dude, maybe just change your approach.

For example, the title to this thread, instead of "Ride to Race this Saturday Needed!" ... may I suggest coming from this angle; "Race this Saturday, 8/18 - Requesting a Ride, Compensation Included".

I guarantee more peeps will try to help you if you're respectfully asking for assistance.

Hang in there, man...
    2019 Salsa Cutthroat Rival 1
    2017 Santa Cruz TB3 CS

https://www.strava.com/athletes/11152127

mtbr member
    ^^^ Great advice right there. ^^^
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem