Richmond Hill Urban Mountain Bike Challenge- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Richmond Hill Urban Mountain Bike Challenge

Richmond Hill Urban Mountain Bike Challenge - Friday, May 28th at Mountain Sports Festival

Begins 4/1/10 at http://www.active.com or directly at participating bike shops.
    http://www.active.com/cycling/ashevi...challenge-2010
    Day-of-race registration also available. 100 rider maximum.
    E-mail [email protected] for more information.

Start Location:
    Carrier Park, Mountain Sports Festival

Start Time:
    5:45pm. On-site registration is from 4-5:15pm.
    MANDATORY RACER MEETING AT 5:30pm.

Categories (Separated by gender):
    Open • Expert • SingleSpeed • Cross bikes

Prizes:
    $$ Cash $$ payouts based on number of entrants in category.
    Categories with 3 entrants or fewer will receive full refund if desired.
    Separate youth category.

Fee:
    Just 25 bucks! Majority of proceeds go to cash payouts and post-race festivities. YOUTH RACE FREE.
    Mandatory minimum age of 14. All minors must have parent/ legal guardian present at race start.

What:
    A unique urban event celebrating the new Richmond Hill Trail System. 2 laps around the track; Ride a set road-course to Richmond Hill Park; 3 laps around the trail; Return on the road to Carrier Park for finish.

Why:
    This event celebrates the development of Asheville’s only official urban trail system reaching a stage of development where it can be viewed as true trail system. You will be showing your support for these endeavors while also getting a chance to enjoy the Mountain Sports Festival and getting a shot at CASH PRIZES! Plus, it’s going to be FUN!

A FEW RULES:
    Mandatory cut-off leaving trail system: 7:45pm.
    HELMETS MANDATORY. ALL RULES OF THE ROAD MUST BE OBEYED! IMMEDIATE DISQUALIFICATION FOR TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS OR ANY ACTION DEEMED UNSAFE BY COURSE MARSHALLS!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Richmond Hill Urban Mountain Bike Challenge-rhill-flyer.jpg  

Last edited by Mike Brown; 04-08-2010 at 07:36 PM.

mtbr member
    bumped.
    And will continue to be bumped weekly until either sold out or event occurs.

mtbr member
    Awesome Mike....any tips on route yet?

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    It's all coming together Mike! Awesome.

Put me down to help out in any way needed....marshalling, registration, whatever.

mtbr member
    I want to race.

And... for those yet to have ridden the trails, they aren't beginner friendly really. I think. Mike and crew did a good job of making them challenging. Parts are flowy, others are NOT!

fun times
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    Bumped again.

More beta: 5.4 miles road to get there. 80% bike lanes. 2 stoplights. One very steep hill. Reverse to get back.
    For now, each lap is about 2.5 miles of very tight single track- plan on laps taking a minimum of 15-20 minutes, that's me going as fast as I can knowing the trails like the back of my eyelids. There will be enforcement of "no blocking" rules- slower riders must yield to faster. I'm trying to add about 1.25 miles of old double track, mainly in order to give some opportunities for passing.
    Show your support and have some fun! Sign on up.

mtbr member
    Hey Mike...Seth here,
    Will we get any confirmation that you know we signed up or further info? I am good to go for "Open Class"

mtbr member
    Yes you will.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    I signed up for "open".... what does that mean vs. expert..? I guessed it to mean sport and other schmoes who dont race very often... Was I right? Or do I need to change my entry? Looks like fun!

XC Champion
    May 2006
    If I skip the US Open...I'm SO in on this.

What kind of tires are you guys running? I kind of hate to ride 11 miles on pavement with mountain tires. Or can I switch bikes when I get to Richmond Hill?

mtbr member
    excellent...

The rule hereby named Dave is you may switch wheels but not bikes. Stashing is allowed but not outside support.

Good luck with that.

1:28am.

mtbr member
    really?

mtbr member
    Dscarbs- Why not? If somebody thinks they're actually going to save time and hassle by stashing wheels at the park, changing them themselves, and doing the same on the way out, I'll find that interesting. Again, outside support= disqualification.
    I am open to revocation of Dave through my own arbitrary measurement of public reaction, but I seriously think that a good fast mtb tire or a skilled bike handler on a cyclocross bike will be the fastest way to go.
    This rule was not just a 1:28 am random thought- I was asked this while riding at the the Hill by a friend (guess what his name is?) and this was my determination then as well.

Regarding the other question- the idea behind open vs. expert is more opportunities for prizes and to give people like me (if I was racing) a shot, because there sure are experts faster than I can ever dream of being.

mtbr member
    I just thnk part of ANY mountain bike race (this is a MTB race, not road, mostly anyway?) is tire selection, equipment selection, and this is what makes this race unique....Got to pick a tire that will be fast on the road, but handle the trails also... Will be really interesting if it rains! LOL! I think it would take something away from the race to thow a road rim and tire on the back wheel of my 29er, hammer out to the trail, then throw on some meats for the trail, reverse on the way back... I agree with the above, I will probably try to rock some plain old fast MTB tires and be done with it.... Hmm I guess I could put cross tires on... decisions, decisions.. Should be fun... My vote is for self support with no stashed parts like a normal MTB race. Looking forward to it, great trails so close to asheville.

BTW... I just asked about Open because I have done a few races that "open" means anyone (pros, experts, etc, can enter) But it is assumed when you see the entry that open is the class below expert... that's me for sure, again will be fun mainly.

mtbr member
    Bumped again.
    25 bucks.
    active link in original post.
    Please show your support for ongoing trail development and sign-up!

mtbr member
    Any updates on trail selection? Also it's pretty growthy there now....will we get a chance to cut it back before the race?

PS...running Maxxis Monorails

mtbr member
    Monorails sound good.... Man, I think I will get spun out on my 1x9 gearing.. I'll find out!

mtbr member
    1) I will hedgetrim the entire corridor race day. I'm off work that day.
    2) I will post a GPS image and a file on trimble of the course map after we finish that last 75 yards or so we stopped on last time, Seth. I plan on working on that next week after work and following weekend.

eschewing obfuscation
    in!
    "Bikes have wheels." -Noam Chomsky

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Mike I am intrigued by the cross bike cat.

Will it be fun to ride this on a cross bike or just annoying?
    How many spots (if any) do you think would require dismount on a cross bike?
    Will you combine male and female cross bike categories if they are small?
    Will this be fun enough to merit me fixing everything I broke on my cross bike during CX season, or can I continue with my plan to procrastinate on these repairs until the friday before the CX season opener?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown
    1) I will hedgetrim the entire corridor race day. I'm off work that day.
    2) I will post a GPS image and a file on trimble of the course map after we finish that last 75 yards or so we stopped on last time, Seth. I plan on working on that next week after work and following weekend.
    Awesome! I am in SORBA now too. If you need any help for course prep...let me know

mtbr member
    Emily- a cross bike has the potential to be the fastest tool.
    There are two creek crossings, one very technical switchback, and a few steep downs that might be very difficult. There are about 50 or more quick, tight turns- so your bike handling will have to be ON.

There is also about 10 miles of road riding, total, plus I hope to have traditional cyclocross barriers set-up on a section of the greenway.

Seth- I'm going to spend about 4 hours this upcoming weekend knocking out the last 50 yards of trail.

mtbr member
    BUMPED.
    Two weeks away.
    I'm putting up directional arrows next week.
    Stand by for some fun!

mtbr member
    Hey Mike....not sure if you got my email. Wondering if it was possible to bump up to expert class?

mtbr member
    Yes

mtbr member

Race route signed.

As of 4pm today, the race loop is signed. During the race, all wrong turns will be "gated" with "CAUTION" tape and there will be PINK tape as additional course marking.

If you go into the park, look for the Trails sign near the handicapped parking.
    You will see some two track across the mulch field. There will be yellow plastic blazes/arrow at this entrance. (ran out).
    After you go down the two track, follow the yellow plastic blazes/arrows. This counterclockwise loop is about 2.75 hard miles. The addition of doing the two track out and back (start/finish) adds up to about 9 miles for your three laps. The road is 5.4 miles each way with a VERY hard climb into the neighborhood of the park. You will cross the creek twice. The first creek crossing is a recommended dismount. It comes right after a VERY technical switchback. The second creek crossing is an easy ride.

For the future, I'll have more yellow blazes/arrows up(going both directions) and all of the alternate trails will be signed with orange blazes/arrows. Orange routes are side trails, which will always link back into the yellow loop. You can make about 5-6 miles of really fun riding doing the yellow loop and then linking all the orange trails. Try the yellow loop in both directions, it flows great both ways.

Maps are next.

Thanks to Craig with Ski Country Sports/ WNC Bicycle Dealer's Association for donating the blazes/arrows.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Brown; 05-23-2010 at 03:45 PM.

mtbr member
    BUMPED!

We need more people to sign up for this race!
    Registered racers- if we do not get several more people, prizes will be schwag, not cash. Sorry. It's decent schwag. First place should still receive cash.

Don't wait for same day unless you have to- it stresses ME OUT!!

mtbr member
    Weather looks to be good to go!

mtbr member
    Rode it yesterday Mike...def a tough one and TWISTY. Excited!

mtbr member
    It'll be weedwhacked tonight.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Hey all...pre-road the course tonight and have to say it's a lot more technical and difficult than I expected....in a GOOD way. This is going to be a seriously challenging effort! Once you're in the woods the course is 99.9% twisty & tight singletrack. It's KICK A**!!!

If anyone is wanting to compete and get a result I would HIGHLY suggest a pre-ride to familiarize yourself with the route.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member
    Weedwhacking is done. You will no longer be slapped be thigh high greenery in a few sections.

Thanks for the words, kk.

Come on out and celebrate the new trails y'all!!

mtbr member
    Wrong thread, post removed.
    WTF?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kkjellquist
    Hey all...pre-road the course tonight and have to say it's a lot more technical and difficult than I expected....in a GOOD way. This is going to be a seriously challenging effort! Once you're in the woods the course is 99.9% twisty & tight singletrack. It's KICK A**!!!

If anyone is wanting to compete and get a result I would HIGHLY suggest a pre-ride to familiarize yourself with the route.
    Holy Crap...twisty is an understatement. It will be a blast riding that switchback.

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleymtnbiker1
    Holy Crap...twisty is an understatement. It will be a blast riding that switchback.
    I'm looking foward to volunteering on Friday and watching the racers negotiate the right switchback -> left hand switchback -> creek crossing while I laugh and throw empties at 'em!!

I'm already packed!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I just registered....who wants some? or are you skeered? I have the POWER.....

mtbr member
    Last day for on-line registration. Registered racers, look for an information e-mail about 10pm tonight. If you are considering same-day registration, it will be open from 4-5:15pm at the SORBA tent at Carrier Park.

Bring it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Mike, Active.com closed on-line registration Wednesday night at 11:59pm...

mtbr member
    hmmmm.... That's not right.

I'll open it back up.

mtbr member
    sjanes- thanks.

People should be able to register on-line again through midnight tonight. If it says closed yesterday, just try anyway- it is open.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Cool, thanks Mike, I'm registered!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm going to start training for this tonight if anyone wants to join me.....

mtbr member

Ummmmm...

It seems a flock of fixies may be brewing....SMOKE
    In and registered...
    Any other non-hipster Mountain Bike fixed gear folks wanna play?
    Last edited by thadthetroll; 05-27-2010 at 02:00 PM.

Gabe.....
    A flock of fixies at an Asheville urban event with a "little" off road sprinkled in..........seems only fitting.

I'm in......
    Last edited by Smokebikes; 05-27-2010 at 01:18 PM.
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

Gabe.....
    It's a girl! One of our "scouts" (J-girl) did a little recon of the course late yesterday...........here's the layout.........look out, she ROCKS!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Richmond Hill Urban Mountain Bike Challenge-urban-challenge-paved-section.jpg  

Richmond Hill Urban Mountain Bike Challenge-urban-challenge-single-track-section.jpg  

mtbr member
    Is the second topo the trail?
    That's f-in sweet!!

My gps has less mileage, what device is J using?

Going to mark the heck out of course in about 45 minutes.
    Day of registration is open from 4-5:15pm!

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    anyone riding fixed with get a thumbs up from me.

anyone riding fixed with skinny jeans, neon glasses, MGMT t-shirt, etc gets tackled and thrown in the woods.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm fixed and I'm riding, do I get a thumbs up for that?

mtbr member

well

Quote Originally Posted by sjanes
    I'm fixed and I'm riding, do I get a thumbs up for that?
    You get a thumb up somewhere for that..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    [ ] thread is starting to get boring
    [x] thread is finally getting good

Good to see the photographer from 6 Hrs of Warrior Creek finally got pics posted. Rough day huh Stephen?!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    dude, that is so wrong, when you see me coming you better hide, or i'm gonna steal your cooler...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Is the second topo the trail?
    That's f-in sweet!!

My gps has less mileage, what device is J using?

That's a profile of 2 laps around the course.

Very nice trail. It was a little slimy on the back side from yesterday's rain. Hope we don't trash the tread to bad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gottafix
    That's a profile of 2 laps around the course.

Very nice trail. It was a little slimy on the back side from yesterday's rain. Hope we don't trash the tread to bad.

Then you have less mileage than my gps. Odd.

Anyway, that back side is new trail. It's wet no matter what right now. The riding will wear it in a little, it needs it.

Mike

eschewing obfuscation
    had a great time at this event; thanks, mike (and van, pisgah sorba, volunteers, etc.), for your great efforts in making this happen! the trails, while a bit wet, were terrific! off-camber, twisty, a few techy bits... nicely done!
    to have mnt. biking represented at the msf was long overdue - thanks again for getting us dirt-lovers involved!

mtbr member
    Thanks- I actually think the thunderstorm made it more "mountain-bikey", even if it did s*ck.

Huge props to all volunteers and supporting local businesses:

BioWheels
    Suspension Experts
    Pro Bikes
    PisgahProductions - thanks for making the old skool schwahg toss fer realz, dood....
    Youngblood- thanks for the PA
    REI Asheville
    and Ski Country Sports, whom deserves extra thanks for coming out un-solicited to do trail work in the past week to prep the course.

AND EXTRA SPECIAL THANKS TO ALL THE RACERS FOR PARTICIPATING!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    ditto, thanks to everyone who put this together.

and the question everyone wants to ask.....results?

mtbr member
    Thanks for putting on such an awesome event Mike! As said before, Asheville is long overdue for some local races! The trail was great, and I actually liked the road race out and back, just right IMO. Had more fun than I have in a long time racing. I think next year will be even better with participation for sure, can't wait!

Hint: Seems like Richmond hill would be the perfect location for some off road tiime trials in the future in addition the this race... hope someone jumps on it!

Beer drinking biker!
    The rain/hail/lightning definitely added a challenge for the riders! It seemed like everyone had a blast!
    Here a few pics I took as riders came out of the woods. I'm told that little section of mulch really sucked! Sorry for such fuzzy pics, I only had my phone camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Richmond Hill Urban Mountain Bike Challenge-100528_185008.jpg  

Richmond Hill Urban Mountain Bike Challenge-100528_185335.jpg  

Richmond Hill Urban Mountain Bike Challenge-100528_190114.jpg  

Richmond Hill Urban Mountain Bike Challenge-100528_190745.jpg  

Richmond Hill Urban Mountain Bike Challenge-100528_191425.jpg  

DirtyMtnBikeHer
    I have a passion for all things dirt!
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

Bike Dork
    Thanks to everyone involved for a great event!

Gabe.....
    DANG that was fun!!!!!!!!!!!! The snap, crackle, pop from the lightning really made it memorable........thanks to all the organizers and sponsors and a big appreciation to APD for the awesome road work. One more thing that makes Asheville great.

Official Cooler Inspector
    Local paper article. Guy crossing the creek looks an awful lot like the cartoon rider on the race flyer. Muummm...

http://www.citizen-times.com/article...OORS/305290033
    Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member

Start

No rain at start/finish all day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Richmond Hill Urban Mountain Bike Challenge-31743_412425709856_365079209856_3958738_7159054_n.jpg  

mtbr member

Results

Sorry took me a couple days.
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    That was a blast Mike, you sure packed a lot of race into those few short miles. Really glad the stars aligned and I could make it. The laps on the track were a nice touch. Those are some sweet little trails too, hope we didn't tear them up too badly.
    And thanks to all the volunteers out in the downpour! Especially whoever it was standing near the tight switchbacks without any umbrella or rain jacket... and still cheerful even on my third lap... crazy.

mtbr member
    sorry to have missed it. I had green stuff in my lungs, not the good kind either.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    So, is there going to be another this year? Was a ton of fun last year!

mtbr member
    Yes indeed!!

I hope to be posting more details within the next week or two- we are still determining exact start/finish locations. What I can say for sure is the following:

1) Sunday 5/29/11 at 9:30am start. We will have racer packet pick-up on Saturday so you can use free beer tickets at the festival Saturday night. The race is moving to Sunday am to avoid Friday pm trafiic on public road section.

2) 25 dollar advance registration, 30 weekend of. Registration will start 4/1/11 on active.com.

3) Hopefully, the dirt portion of the course will be 1.5 miles longer and include a mile or so of two track for recovery and passing.

Finally, know that I severely dislocated my elbow Tuesday night riding (at rhill, ironically). My left arm is immobilized for the next week or two and typing is a royal pain in the arse. I will not be posting any more info or answering questions here until i actually have two hands to type with.

Thanks for the interest!!
    Last edited by Mike Brown; 03-05-2011 at 10:03 AM.

Gabe.....
    I'm in and fixed for this event fo-sure!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe T-Troll and Poppa-fun will actually finish this year.........unless it rains again and scares them away.

mtbr member
    Sweet! Like the Sunday AM Start! Looking forward to it!

mtbr member

New question here.

Yes indeed!!

I hope to be posting more details within the next week or two- we are still determining exact start/finish locations. What I can say for sure is the following:

1) Sunday 5/27/11 at 9:30am start. We will have racer packet pick-up on Saturday so you can use free beer tickets at the festival Saturday night. The race is moving to Sunday am to avoid Friday pm trafiic on public road section.

2) 25 dollar advance registration, 30 weekend of. Registration will start 4/1/11 on active.com.

3) Hopefully, the dirt portion of the course will be 1.5 miles longer and include a mile or so of two track for recovery and passing.

Finally, know that I severely dislocated my elbow Tuesday night riding (at rhill, ironically). My left arm is immobilized for the next week or two and typing is a royal pain in the arse. I will not be posting any more info or answering questions here until i actually have two hands to type with.

Thanks for the interest!!
    You do mean 5/29/11, correct? 5/27 is a Friday. Just checking, last year it was Friday afternoon.

mtbr member
    fiver dos niner is correct. editted. thx.

eschewing obfuscation
    hope your elbow heals quickly, mike; sorry to hear about it...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The race still on for the MSF? I havent seen any updates..

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, the answer is no due to the following facts:
    - Mountain Sports Festival is no longer a City of Asheville sponsored event; it is now a private not-for-profit.
    - The race cannot stage from the park itself due to parking and the disc golf tourney, plus the whole ride from the festival to the trails things was super fun, unique, and cool.
    -This requires a parade permit. The parade permit requires police support at traffic crossings.
    -Last year, police support was free (due to the city sponsorship). This year, the cost (once I finally found it out) was going to be 1400 dollars.
    - This would have put entire cost for the event at about 2000 dollars with insurance, other fees, and the misc. things you always have to pay for.

Those numbers just don't add up; we would have needed at least 80 racers (double last year's field) just to cover costs at 25 bucks a head- and I'm not going to charge more than 25 dollars for a two hour event. No sir, not happening.

We WILL have future events at the park, probably a late fall weeknight race series. We also hope to be able to have an event at next year's MSF on Sunday morning, coordinating with the disc golfers so they are not hosting a tourney simulataneously.

Please understand that this post is not complaining about MSF or the folks behind the disc golf tourney, they're great people. We just did not know what the costs would be for police support and once we found out, it was obvious the event just wasn't going to even pay for itself.

I hadn't posted anything because we hadn't actually announced anything. Honsetly, I'm really glad we were smart enough not to announce an event and open registration before we found out all the costs.

Thanks for your interest though, and we hope everyone's excited about the idea of more events soon!

mtbr member
    Crap. That answers that... Looking forward to the events in the fall...

Members who have read this thread: 0