Richmond Hill Park- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Richmond Hill Park

Well first time out on my bike today and much harder than I remember when i was a kid cycling . Didn`t make it very far only to the bee hive . Surprised still a lot of tress down and just into the trail theres some big ones across the trail . At first I tried to go left and stay on the smith creek trail but quite a few trees down . Is there any rules to go by if I go back there with a chainsaw ?
    Last edited by JohnMellencamp; 05-04-2010 at 07:38 PM.

mtbr member
    John- All trails open to the system were clear of trees as of last Weds (last time I was there). Anything down on open trails is new from winds in the last week, I'll check it out and cut it out in the next week. Not suprised there's some down as soon as you come in- there were some "hangers."

The "left" you're describing is not part of the current trail system yet. Try going right. Over 3 miles of new trail, maps and signs will be up sometime this summer.

There's a ton of trees down on several trails that are no longer open/ part of the system for a huge variety of reasons (environmental protection, future disc golf plans , etc). PAS cannot maintain those. In the last year, PAS has cut out way over one hundred downed trees as a result of either last winter's storms or to clear corridor for new trails

Any trail work of any kind has to be done by persons associated with PAS. Chainsaw work should be done by individuals specifically cleared to do so. It's a city park and we need to have clearance to do work. I literally have to pull a grading permit to dig in the ground.
    We'd love to have your help; send me an e-mail.

[email protected]

mtbr member
    All trails are clear as of last night. That was a pretty good pile of trees on the road in. other John, thanks for the impromptu help.

OP, after being out there and reading your description again, I think you tried to go down a section of Smith Creek we intentionally closed/ re-routed as it was an erosion/ run-off problem pushing sediment into the creek. The new single track, that is definitely more challenging but also more more sustainable, is the new line.

mtbr member
    Yeah great work if you managed to clear that mess didn`t look like it would be easy to do . I think I`ll steer clear of this park until I`ve got a few rides behind me sounds a little too technical for me

Members who have read this thread: 0