Relocating to NC to recover: suggestions for quiet town near good singletrack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Relocating to NC to recover: suggestions for quiet town near good singletrack

Hi All- My husband and I need to make a very quick decision about relocating- within a week or so. We have been living in the Virgin Islands and Belize for many years. Due to my husband needing medical care we are going to be moving back to the states. So I can check on my business in the VI from time to time it better be on the east coast. We come to the states for for mountain biking trips several times a year but always to the pacific northwest or northern Michigan where we have friends. So I have never researched where the best trails are in NC. Husband will be on chemo for 6 to 12 months. It may seem really ass backwards that we want to choose where to get medical care based on the accessibility of good singletrack but there you go... We believe that there will be good days and we will be able to ride and fun is good for you. Jeez, I know this sounds really stupid. But any suggestions about a quiet pretty town near good singletrack? It has to be someplace that has some intermediate trails for the obvious reasons. We to need to be within a few hours drive of a city but fantasize about a place where we could rent a remote cabin on a river while he gets well. We are used to being outdoors pretty much all of the time and can't imagine living right in a town. Thanks for any advice.

mtbr member
    The areas around Asheville, Brevard, Hendersonville. We are relocating from Michigan, and pretty much could pick from anywhere in the country to live, and we narrowed it down to Durango, Colorado and Asheville, North Carolina. After spending a week in each with a "could we live here" perspective, we gave Asheville the nod, and are moving to Mills River in 2 weeks

Big Mac
    Asheville. Great cancer care and great and varied singletrack. Mission Hospitals is in the process of building a new cancer care building. Good food is available as well. You can live in a wooded setting within minutes of town. Even on a river if you are lucky. However, it ain't cheap here. Best to ya'll in your journey.

+1 for Asheville area. Like was mentioned, good hospital and great trails. Moved to Mills River in 01 and just started mountain biking. I can find many great rides within 20-30 minutes from home. Bent Creek, Pisgah Forest, and Dupont Forest. Ready to advanced at all locations.

mtbr member
    I don't think many people would argue (even on the internet) with the assertion that Asheville and surrounding area has the best riding in NC. I would mention that US Air has a hub in Charlotte, so if you found your remote spot somewhere to the east of Asheville (Black Mountain, maybe?) that might help logistically.

But isn't there some way you can research what the best hospitals are for the type of cancer your husband has? I mean...if you can go anywhere? If you feel comfortable being " a few hours" from the city he's being treated in, you could check out hospitals in Atlanta, Charleston, SC, etc. and then figure out how to be close to good riding.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    A vote for the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) Some of the best hospitals you'll find in Duke and UNC and there's a fair amount of single track around. Not sure how far out in the woods you can get here, but I would imagine there's still some hidden gems left. Good luck with the move and the health battle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Western Wilkes County, NC. Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center and Forsyth Medical Center an hour's drive. Dark Mountain Trail system in Wilkes County. Not too far to Wilson Creek bike trails. Boone, NC has just opened Rocky Knob trail. Wilkes County less expensive than Asheville. My best to you and my prayers are with you.

Spoke Breaker!
    Aug 2010
    +1 Asheville

As mentioned already:

Mission Hospital System
    ---new State of the Art Cancer Center - http://www.missionhospitals.org/cancercenter
    --- See video:
    <iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y60A7yVVc5k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Food and Social Life is great for the size town
    ---Groove Park Inn - http://www.groveparkinn.com/Leisure/
    ---Orange Peel - http://theorangepeel.net/
    ---Bele Chere - http://www.belecherefestival.com/
    ---Biltmore Estate - http://www.biltmore.com/ ... Get a season pass and avoid summer weekends and holiday weekends... Do go weekday evenings to relax had have an icecream or beer (less than 5 mins from Mission)
    ---Too many others to mention

And of course the best MTB riding in the south east:
    Bent Creek (less than 30mins from Mission)
    DuPont State Forest (about and hour from Mission)
    Pisgah Forest
    Fat-n00b

KHS sixfifty606
    Felt F90

Current Condition:
    6' 2" @ 288 lbs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. Very much appreciated and I am doing the research. I think I caused some confusion in my initial post. My husband doesn't actually have cancer. He does need 6 to 12 months of chemo for a different disease and the protocol is standardized rather than individualized. That's why after the initial consultations we will be able to choose where we live. And there seems like a lot of good choices. I wonder why it took this to get us out there? Susan

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by smithbrown View Post
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. Very much appreciated and I am doing the research. I think I caused some confusion in my initial post. My husband doesn't actually have cancer. He does need 6 to 12 months of chemo for a different disease and the protocol is standardized rather than individualized. That's why after the initial consultations we will be able to choose where we live. And there seems like a lot of good choices. I wonder why it took this to get us out there? Susan
    I still think Mission Hospitals is a good option for any blood born illness. Serious situations result in serious thoughts. Asheville is a good place.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Camping

We set up some appointments for July and will be up in the area for a few weeks on that trip which will be pre-treatment. We're hoping to enjoy your trails, do some camping and get to know the area. We have an apartment we can use in Asheville but it would be fun to get out in the woods while we have the chance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by smithbrown View Post
    It may seem really ass backwards that we want to choose where to get medical care based on the accessibility of good singletrack but there you go... We believe that there will be good days and we will be able to ride and fun is good for you. Jeez, I know this sounds really stupid.
    No, it sounds perfectly reasonable, it really does.
    +1 Asheville/Brevard. Pisgah trails are strong medicine.
    Hope your move goes smoothly wherever you end up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilyB View Post
    Pisgah trails are strong medicine.
    Agreed. I used to ride w/ a guy whose 17 yo son died in a firey car accident. 2-3 days later I was stunned to see him on the group ride. It made me realize how strong the instinct is to go to the mountains for healing.

"I will lift up mine eyes into the hills from whence cometh my help"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    if you want to live around stupid, liberal, hippie wanna-be's....by all means move to ashEVILle

Big Mac
    Nice post GSRswapandswallow.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    just speaking the truth.

asheville is the single most pretentious city i have ever visited, it's also known to have one of the highest per capita gay populations in the country.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GSRswapandslow View Post
    just speaking the truth.

asheville is the single most pretentious city i have ever visited, it's also known to have one of the highest per capita gay populations in the country.
    Not that there is anything wrong with it

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph3 View Post
    Not that there is anything wrong with it
    wow.............................

mtbr member
    wow.............................
    dude, we already have resident trolls and they're much more fun than you, now go play in the street
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    just speaking the truth.

Apparently you have never been to Ann Arbor, MI

Big Mac
    just speaking the truth.

"Idiot wind, blowing every time you move your mouth, blowing down the back roads headin' south..." Now go spew your ignorant hate elsewhere.

mtbr member

let's try to get back on course here

clearly GSRswapandslow has overtaken the thread w/ nonsense.

there are a lot of good resources on the forum for places to eat, where to stay, where to ride, etc. like many places with lots of visitors and tourists, a few stickies are probably in order. i used a lot of the recommendations on mtbr when we moved here. asheville is also the medical hub of wnc as many have mentioned.

summer is a good time to move here. there are plenty of festivals, outdoor events, concerts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry68 View Post
    could pick from anywhere in the country to live ... we gave Asheville the nod,:
    ...QFMFT

drunken pirate
    If you are looking for a peaceful place to live in a cabin in the woods I would look around Cedar Mountain, NC or Balsam Grove or Rosman or somewhere like that.

Asheville is very nice as is Hendersonville. Both are cities though. Hendersonville is closer to Dupont State Forest which has a lot of fun intermediate trails.
    More Trails, Not Less

Adventures in Pisgah

mtbr member
    just speaking the truth.

asheville is the single most pretentious city i have ever visited.
    I'm guessing you haven't traveled much.

Ever been to Boulder, Telluride, Jackson, Nantucket, Santa Barbara, SF, etc., etc.....

Back to the OP - Another vote for the Asheville/Hendersonville/Brevard area.

Ideally - something adjacent to DuPont.
    Zippity do dah...

mtbr member
    I'm just glad that GSR made sure the OP knows we have a full range of the diverse human population in Asheville/ Buncombe county. It ain't some kind of hippie/liberal nirvana- not by a looooong shot.

The culture of downtown/Montford/West Asheville etc is a minority not a majority. The Emma, Leicester, and Swannanoa communities are more representative of Buncombe County- and most other areas throughout the region. The OP should be aware that most of the region tends to be populated by very conservative, albeit usually honest and good, folk. Are a few judgemental jerks? Yes. So are are a few liberals. Closemindedness is wrong in both directions...

Mike (a liberal hippie, btw).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    I'm just glad that GSR made sure the OP knows we have a full range of the diverse human population in Asheville/ Buncombe county. It ain't some kind of hippie/liberal nirvana- not by a looooong shot.

The culture of downtown/Montford/West Asheville etc is a minority not a majority. The Emma, Leicester, and Swannanoa communities are more represenative of Buncombe County- and most other areas throughout the region. The OP should be aware that most of the region tends to be populated by very conservative, albeit usually honest and good, folk. Are a few judgemental jerks? Yes. So are are a few liberals. Closemindedness is wrong in both directions...

Mike (a liberal hippie, btw).

As an aside, if you want some real cultural diversity head out of Brevard toward Rosman and go to SAV-MOR. It's a mix of Brevard locals (retirees, hippies, and rednecks), Rosman locals (mostly redneck but some hippies) and Toxaway locals (rich folks from other places).
    many gears, some pies

Official Cooler Inspector
    Lurker Alert!!! When you folks headed up this way?

Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridn29s View Post
    As an aside, if you want some real cultural diversity head out of Brevard toward Rosman and go to SAV-MOR. It's a mix of Brevard locals (retirees, hippies, and rednecks), Rosman locals (mostly redneck but some hippies) and Toxaway locals (rich folks from other places).
    You know, I've got a little redneck in my veins. For example, I really like those new muscle cars...Camaro rs, Charger, etc:... and I've shot a deer. But Rosman scares me.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by ridn29s View Post
    Rosman is gravy. How 'bout Balsam Grove or Diamond Creek?

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry68 View Post
    The areas around Asheville, Brevard, Hendersonville. We are relocating from Michigan, and pretty much could pick from anywhere in the country to live, and we narrowed it down to Durango, Colorado and Asheville, North Carolina. After spending a week in each with a "could we live here" perspective, we gave Asheville the nod, and are moving to Mills River in 2 weeks
    Welcome Neighbor

This area is fantastic, I have lived here for 3 years and have never regret it.
    I actually originally moved up here for the love of motorcycles and all roads twisty but truth be told, this area is perfect for almost anything.

Rogue Exterminator
    BTW, if you want to rent in this area, let me know.
    I live on 14 acres in a house that was converted in to a duplex.
    Fully furnished, very nice all utilities inclued (yes all, electric, gas, phone, high speed internet, HD Satellite TV)

The only other house on the property is the landlords where he and his wife live.
    He requires no deposit or lease. The upstairs is currently rented but the current tenants are very short term. (they said one to two months while they house hunt and have been here 2 weeks already)

Rogue Exterminator
    it's also known to have one of the highest per capita gay populations in the country.
    Well, at least we now know why you came?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Well, at least we now know why you came?
    yeah...don't live in ashEVILle...i live on down the mtn in the foothills where we don't tolerate such nonsense as they do there. Just a good, Baptist, community that's representative of how others SHOULD be living.

mtbr member
    somebody moved your rock again eh?
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    May 2011
    sorry, no rock here.....just open eyes and the truth. I really hate the fact that that area is canvased with such filth, as it's an amazingly gorgeous area. I'm traveling through there this weekend, as a matter of fact, gonna be nice to visit some friends i rarely see in the area. I think i might bring one of my bikes along...taking my g/f to the greater gatlinburg area, maybe we can find a nice trail or two out there in God's Country.

mtbr member
    sorry, no rock here.....just open eyes and the truth. I really hate the fact that that area is canvased with such filth, as it's an amazingly gorgeous area. I'm traveling through there this weekend, as a matter of fact, gonna be nice to visit some friends i rarely see in the area. I think i might bring one of my bikes along...taking my g/f to the greater gatlinburg area, maybe we can find a nice trail or two out there in God's Country.
    God and hate in the same comment
    BTW, Gatlinburg is in TN and this is the NC/SC forum.
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    May 2011
    yes, Gatlinburg IS in TN....very good job. And yes, this IS the NC/SC forum! 2 for 2!

Not sure why you cared to point both of those facts out, as I live in NC...and am merely traveling there. I suppose mentioning any other state is against forum rules, huh?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ok...well i don't really have the time i thought i did to troll anymore.........but, yeah, LOL

ashevilles a great place....be a really good place to raise a family or just move to spend some quiet time in your life. there's good food, plenty to do, and the views are hard to beat (i still think linville has the better views )

theres tons of trails to ride on...and plenty of state forest to hike and camp in.....not to mention a few rivers to kayak and camp on...you can do a 3 day new river trip and have a fantastic time.

there's also plenty of fun close to asheville, should you choose to venture out of the city.....nearby ski slopes, nearby (kind of) casio in cherokee....you can make a fontana trip in a day to drive the tail of the dragon...or come down the mtn and hit up hickory when the gun show comes to town (hickory has one of hte better CE gun shows in the state...beats the raliegh and winston shows).

You can hop on the blue ridge parkway and just drive.....see tons of great stuff.

you've got Grandfather mtn to visit, Linville gorge, see the viaduct, go to blowing rock and boone, go to brevard, go to Mtn. City and Callente, step over into TN to Gatlinburg/Sevierville/Pigon Forge/Kodak...you're like, what, 2 hours? from Charlotte...just tons of stuff.

Rogue Exterminator
    yeah...don't live in ashEVILle...i live on down the mtn in the foothills where we don't tolerate such nonsense as they do there. Just a good, Baptist, community that's representative of how others SHOULD be living.
    Seriously dude?

Jesus Christ loved everybody no matter what their sins. He would never use the words of hatred that you have used in his fathers name.

So maybe in your journey to be a good Christian you should actually strive to be Christ like instead of spewing words of hatred and intolerance about a particular group of people.

Your attitude is what gives good Christians a bad name.

To the OP, if you have not made a final decision, trust me, not everyone here is as ignorant as this guy. Asheville is a wonderfully diverse area. You will love it here.
    I actually live in Hendersonville just outside of Asheville and have not regretted it since I moved here 3 years ago.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Seriously dude?

Jesus Christ loved everybody no matter what their sins. He would never use the words of hatred that you have used in his fathers name.

GSRspitandswallows' God loves everyone*

*Gays, Blacks, Jews, Hispanics, Catholics, and well, pretty much anyone except White Southern Baptists are not included as "everyone"

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    To be taken tongue-in-cheek. As I understand it, the Asheville area is the "witchcraft capitol" of the US. All these New-Age freaks and Wiccans running around with a "crystal" (that's also known as a "shiny rock) in their pocket hoping to gain "MORE POWER,ARRGGH ARRGH"!
    Seriously, as a white "Southern Baptist", not to be confused with a "Westboro Baptist", while not agreeing with homosexuality, it is a lifestyle choice, and it is theirs to make. I may not agree, but I do not hate.
    As far as other "ethnic" groups, I know quite a few white Southern Baptists who have dedicated their lives to helping helping people of different "color", ethnicity, or background. When the tornadoes, hurricanes, and earthquakes come around, there will be Southern Baptists there to provide food, water, shower facilities, and even laundry facilities to help those caught in a disaster and unable to help themselves for a time.

Rogue Exterminator
    Never knew there was a different category for white southern baptists vs others.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I was using the term jerry68 used. Actually I am referring to the Southern Baptist Convention, or SBC, which BTW is not a "white" church. We do, in fact, have black members.
    "Baptist" takes in a lot of territory, There are several denominations that use "Baptist" in their name. Some "predominately white", some "predominately black". There are also the "independent Baptists". (They can't get along with anybody)

Rogue Exterminator
    I have been to some good Southern Baptist churches and some really bad judgmental ones.
    Some accept all with open arms and others accept all who conform to their beliefs and then use their arms to stab people in the back.

I have met Southern Baptists who are genuinely good people striving to be as Christ like as they can and others that are just like GSRswapandslow who by their words and actions really have no idea what being a Christian is about.

Mahatma Gandhi said it best when he said

I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

BTW, Yes I am a Christian but I do agree with Mahatma Gandhi. Many so called Christians are very un-Christ like.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    kjlued, good post and good reply.

mtbr member

Smaller towns

If you are considering the asheville area and want to be in a more rural township, check out Mills River, Pisgah Forest and Brevard