Recommeded routes from Hardtimes to Fish Hatchery- Mtbr.com
    white boy extraordinaire

Recommeded routes from Hardtimes to Fish Hatchery

Thinking about doing an epic from one to the other in spring/summer. Any route ideas? Tell you what I'm looking at now.

Start out at hardtimes, ride singletrack up to five points, take trail down to road, hop on lower sidehill to Bent creek gap road up to BRP. Keep going on FS 5000 to spencer gap, take spencer branch down to trace ridge trailhead. Go over to laurel mtn go up and then down pilot rock. Then take road over and this is where I get into grey area. There are a couple of choices, but I was thinking about meandering over to Buckwheat Knob/Bennet Gap. Then take 276 to the hatchery, but then why? Because it sounds further away.

Suggestion?

Thanks

Jan 2004

Sounds like a good ride.

Nice ride and that is not a bad plan. What about when you get down Pilot, take a left on the road back to Bradley Crk., then over to Laurel Crk., trek back thru Squirrel(some fun stuff),then to Buckhorn to old fireroad to catch Bennett down. Of course by then the downhill of Bennett would be tough after so many tough miles but still fun.
    But adding this may be cutting it short on daylight hours.I'm guessing your plan would be about 7 hrs.+/-.
    When you do this if you are up for any company let me know. This is my kind of ride!!
    Later, Doug

Heads up Flyboy!!

Bent Creek To Davidson River

I was actually thinking of a similar ride but going from Rice Pinnicle at Bent Creek to North Slope in Davidson River. The route would be from Rice Pinnicle parking lot take Wolf Branch to Ledford. Take a right on Ledford Branch rd then a left on North Boundary, climb to 5 points, stay right on Tony Micheal's Parkway and drop down Betty Heinous to Laurel Branch rd. Take a right onto Lower sidehill. Right onto Bent Creek Ranch Rd cross over to Wash Creek rd. Right onto Spencer Branch. left onto Trace Ridge straight through parking area to lower trace ridge. Right onto N. Mills River, Left onto Yellow Gap, right onto Yellow Gap rd. Left onto FS 5015, Right onto Laurel Creek, Right onto Squirrel Gap and follow to its end on the western end of south mills river. left onto Buckhorn Gap. Right onto Black Mountain, straight onto Buckwheat knob. Straight across to Bennet Gap, left on Perry's Cove. Right onto FS 477, left on Clawhammer, Right on Maxwell Cove, Right on Black Mountain, left on Thrift Cove, Left on Grassy Road, Right onto Sycamore. Right on 276, left into Davidson River Campground, do North Slope counter clockwise and finish.

Jeremy

Feb 2004
    I've done that before. It was pretty tough.

We started at Bent Creek campground(Lake Powatan), then rode to North Mills campground, then with rode up to Pink Beds, then to Davidson River Campground, and then back to Bent Creek.

It wore us out but I'd do it again. The ride from Bent Creek to Davidson Campground was all on the trails but on the ride back to Bent Creek we had to jump on the highway to end the ride because it started to get dark on us.

We've also done a killer 40-50 mile epic ride from Davidson Campground.

You can read some of the epic Pisgah ride reports here...
    http://www.ratride.com/pivot/entry.php?id=14#body

and here...
    http://www.ratride.com/pivot/entry.php?id=15#body

to learn about our early spring ride coming soon look here...
    http://www.ratride.com/index.php

Mark

mtbr member
    Damn right, I'd be finished! How far do you think that would be?

CM: If you're planning to end that ride at Fish Hatchery, i would make my way to Pink Beds from Yellow Gap Road after coming down from Laurel Mtn. then go Left on 276 for maybe 1/2 mile, right on 475B, right on Seinard , right momentarily on 225 , straight into Caney Bottom, down through the campground , left on 475A, right on the whoop-de-do trail (old 475A) and back to the Hatchery Parking Lot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Along the same lines as this thread, can anybody recommend a good route that starts and ends in Davidson River (Preferably, as that is where I'll camp) and is 25-30 miles.

I'm looking for easier climbing than my favorite rides like Black Mt. and Buckwheat/Buckhorn. That is to say, if I'm gonna do 30 miles, I don't want a lot of hike a bike. Climbing is fine, I'd like to keep pushing to a minimum. I've done good rides in Dupont, but I want to focus on more singletrack than that. Something between Pisgah's most extreme trails and DuPont is ideal.

Seasonal trails are OK, I hope to do this before 4/15.

mtbr member
    How about:

From Davidson, ride up 276 to White Pines Rd, all the way up to the "grassey road" (the last turn off to your right before Buckwheat Knob) down that to Avery Creek, past Twin Falls, up to Clawhammer, left on CH to the top, straight on through to Pink Beds, left on 276 , left on WHite Pines, right on Bennet Gap, left on Perry Cove, then back to Davidson River. I think this will come in right around 29 miles. This route lets you climb gravel and descend singletrack.

Or, when you get to Clawhammer, go right down the gravel, left on Maxwell Cove, right on Black Mtn, left on Thrift Cove, left on Sycamore Cove, right on 276 back to Davidson. That would be around 20...then you could do Northslope to get somewhere around 25.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wow, thanks L.S.C....

The first one sounds great. I've done the first part but have twice turned left to go past the shelter, along the ridge and then down Devils staircase, etc. back down to (I think) Bennet Gap, or whatever that trail is with all the water bars right before getting back to 276, and once I went right, to hike up Black Mountain (Damn near got bit by a timber rattler while taking a pee at the panoramic view at the top, yikes!!!!) and then down black mountain, ect. Both are some of my favorite rides, but both would kill any chances of me riding on for another 22 miles after the 8 +/- mile climb.

Most of the other parts you listed would be new trail to me, so it sounds great!!!!

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    you're welcome. if you go straight at the top of Clawhammer, you will be on a long, very slight downhill or flat all the way to a little camping area near a gravel road which is a spur off of Yellow Gap. You go through the cleared area, pick up Pink Beds Loop(extention?) and wind through the bottoms for a while...turn right at the trail marker (only way you can go, the other side of Pink Beds Loop is always closed, right side is seasonal) If you stay straight from there you will climb back to he Pink Beds Parking lot. If any of those other directions are too vague on the stuff that's new to you, let me know.

Black Mtn between Maxwell cove and Clawhammer always kicks my ass regardless of which direction I go at it. You must be mistaken, there are no rattlesnakes in Pisgah **she repeated to herself firmly, staying carefully in denial**

rob
    slakDawg
    Quote Originally Posted by bmateo
    Along the same lines as this thread, can anybody recommend a good route that starts and ends in Davidson River (Preferably, as that is where I'll camp) and is 25-30 miles.

I'm looking for easier climbing than my favorite rides like Black Mt. and Buckwheat/Buckhorn. That is to say, if I'm gonna do 30 miles, I don't want a lot of hike a bike. Climbing is fine, I'd like to keep pushing to a minimum. I've done good rides in Dupont, but I want to focus on more singletrack than that. Something between Pisgah's most extreme trails and DuPont is ideal.

Seasonal trails are OK, I hope to do this before 4/15.
    definitely check out the Rat Ride West II at http://www.ratride.com/pivot/entry.php?id=15#body We started and finished at DRC, and was around 41 miles. It was a long day but not too bad, and only 1 - 2 hike a bike sections (well for me they were), mostly gravel road climbs and sweet singletrack downhills.

Members who have read this thread: 0