Raleigh Area Trails- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

Idea! Raleigh Area Trails

Everyone knows RockyRoad, Crabtree, & NewLight. Lets hear about some more obscure trails in the area... I can think of several (see below).

Atlantic Ave trails: Just below the 440 beltline on Atlantic Ave. (which runs paralell to Capitol BLVD). Short (2-3 miles) but a real hoot in some spots. Where to park is a problem, I usually park on the street beside the electic company (Meadowood blvd I think). I'm not sure if this trail is legal but the sink hole alone is worth the trip.

IBM Trails: On Old Reedy creek Rd off of Weston BLVD in Cary. Park where you would to ride Rocky Road from the Crabtree Lake Dam, Across Old Reedy Creek Rd. from the sewage plant just before the bridge. Very tight single track LOTS of logs, A good warmup for RockyRoad.

?? No Name: Directly across from the IBM trail above. This trail is another interesting short trail that takes you along Rt 40 up to the stripmall (Sams Club).

Goldstons Trail: Go north on Rt50 (Creedmoor RD) until it crosses 98. Take a left on 98 (toward Durham). Right at the light past Goldstons lumber yard. 1/4 mile on your left. You are looking for a vehicle pull in with a fire road that has a steel cable accross it. Trail head is 50 yrds on your right off of the fire-road. This used to be the best kept secret in the Triangle area... Last I rode it, it had been logged and the trail re-routed on much more tame terrain (8 miles). It's still worth the trip but it is under the same restrictions as NewLight ( only on sundays Sept - May).

Beaver Dam Trails: Noth on 50 (Creedmoor rd) over RT 98 then Falls Lake look for the gray Beaver Dam sign on both sides of the road, pull in on the right side. Two rights past the ranger station. This Trail is now worth the drive with the addition of a 6.2 mile "advanced" loop. I do not consider this loop to be advanced, but it is a very scenic trail with some challenging sections.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

you forgot about 50+ miles of trail

Harris Lake, Regency, Clayton, Centennial Campus, Lake Johnson, CHHS trails, Tar River, Umstead, Morrisville, Greenville, Sandford trails(3 trails), Uhwarrie, Cisco

No name's name is Sluge trail.

Quote Originally Posted by mack33_33
    Everyone knows RockyRoad, Crabtree, & NewLight. Lets hear about some more obscure trails in the area... I can think of several (see below).

Atlantic Ave trails: Just below the 440 beltline on Atlantic Ave. (which runs paralell to Capitol BLVD). Short (2-3 miles) but a real hoot in some spots. Where to park is a problem, I usually park on the street beside the electic company (Meadowood blvd I think). I'm not sure if this trail is legal but the sink hole alone is worth the trip.

IBM Trails: On Old Reedy creek Rd off of Weston BLVD in Cary. Park where you would to ride Rocky Road from the Crabtree Lake Dam, Across Old Reedy Creek Rd. from the sewage plant just before the bridge. Very tight single track LOTS of logs, A good warmup for RockyRoad.

?? No Name: Directly across from the IBM trail above. This trail is another interesting short trail that takes you along Rt 40 up to the stripmall (Sams Club).

Goldstons Trail: Go north on Rt50 (Creedmoor RD) until it crosses 98. Take a left on 98 (toward Durham). Right at the light past Goldstons lumber yard. 1/4 mile on your left. You are looking for a vehicle pull in with a fire road that has a steel cable accross it. Trail head is 50 yrds on your right off of the fire-road. This used to be the best kept secret in the Triangle area... Last I rode it, it had been logged and the trail re-routed on much more tame terrain (8 miles). It's still worth the trip but it is under the same restrictions as NewLight ( only on sundays Sept - May).

Beaver Dam Trails: Noth on 50 (Creedmoor rd) over RT 98 then Falls Lake look for the gray Beaver Dam sign on both sides of the road, pull in on the right side. Two rights past the ranger station. This Trail is now worth the drive with the addition of a 6.2 mile "advanced" loop. I do not consider this loop to be advanced, but it is a very scenic trail with some challenging sections.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for this list. Once I get my bike I might have to make the drive from Charlotte to Raleigh and try some of these out.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker1220
    Thanks for this list. Once I get my bike I might have to make the drive from Charlotte to Raleigh and try some of these out.
    www.trianglemtb.com

mtbr member
    That "?? No Name:" trail is affectionatly known as the "Sludge Trail" by the locals. It is called that becasue it goes right by the water treatment plant and can be rather foul smelling on a hot summers day. Its more fun going from the strip mail to the water treamtent plant as this way is mostly down hill.

Good long ride is to park up at the sams club, take sludge in, then Rocky Road, then Crabtree trials, and then sludge back to the car. Good 17+ miles depending on the options you do. Sludge back to the car is a good up hill but kicker after you have gotten that milage in.

Apr 2004

Smile

Just got back from riding Beaver Dam- the advanced loop is a fun, fast ride with good scenery. I've heard the "IBM" trail referred to as Poison Ivy (you can figure out why). You've pretty much nailed the ones I can think of. Atlantic Ave has become a fav b/c its in town, not too long, can bring my dog, and has some great technical (logs, log ride, bridge, etc.). Also, it can be a fun night ride. Thanks to the guys who have fixed it up!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    ...and now it appears we can add the newly resurrected "Capital Blvd" trails to the mix. Have not riddent there yet, but hearing good things....

(Check out the forums at www.trianglemtb.com for info about the trails, there is a thread about progress on the rejuvinating of these trails.....)

Apr 2004

capital trails

Rode the newly resurrected Capital trails...not bad. A little rough around the edges and short but still a nice ride after work with the dog (plenty of water). I say rough only because toward the end of my ride a "small" branch got caught in my rear derailer...quick end to my ride. Thanks to the guys building them up. Look forward to riding them again soon. See you on the trails.