Question about Wood Run road @ Keyauwee & Supertree- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Question about Wood Run road @ Keyauwee & Supertree

It's been about ten years since I rode there. I have recently transitioned into hiking and was wondering if it is possible to drive to the end of Wood Run road. My memory is a bit fuzzy but I'm thinking that a decade ago there was a locked fence that bikers rode around to get to the trails.

I would like to be able to drive past Wood Run camp all the way to the end so we can shuttle from the trailhead at 109. Is that possible or is the gate still there?

mtbr member
    From 24/27 you can drive to at least the pit toilet at the entrance to Keyauwee. All other forest roads are gated.

However if you do that you'll miss riding the Wood Run trail which is a great warm up from the main parking area off 24/27.

There also isnt a Mountain Bike trail head on 109 that I know of. That is the Uwharrie Trail (#276) which is hiking only. All the mountain bike legal trails are south of 1146 (Dusty Level Rd).

The Keyauwee, WoodRun, SuperTree, and White Tail trails are awesome. No where east of Morganton can you get that kind of riding, views, and immersive forest experience.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Yes, the 109 trailhead is hiking only. I want to hike south from 109 to the Highway 24-27/Wood Run Trailhead. It is 12.2 miles and I would like to be able to do it 6 miles at a time, so I'm looking for somewhere to park at the halfway point.

I'm asking here rather than a hiking group because I was an active member here a decade ago and I know you guys would know the answer.

mtbr member
    Gotcha...

Ive done the hike from 24/27 to the Birkhead Wilderness via the URE trail and its a killer backpack. We are really fortunate to have such great public land in this state.

So if you are looking to shuttle your best bet for doing the full pull from 109 to 24/27 via the URE trail is to have someone drop a bag or meet you on 1146 where the trail crosses. There is a trailhead and camping area called Yates Place that would be a good middle area between 109 and 24/27
    On your left!