Props to the trail crew on Sycamore- Mtbr.com
    Pisgah-Pale-Alien

Props to the trail crew on Sycamore

I'm not sure who it is (I think the same outfit that worked on lower Black Mtn) and they are doing some really nice work. With TD setting the bar for how it should be done, these guys are coming in a close second. Improvements are evident all the way up Grass Rd and the top half (so far) of the left-hand single-trac...they're working their way back down to to 276. There's still plenty of technical and yet it flows better than I can ever remember, after riding that trail for the last 20yrs I never had so much fun.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    140 views and not one comment? I guess Sycamore really is the best kept secret.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireGoose
    140 views and not one comment? I guess Sycamore really is the best kept secret.
    People don't want to hear any positive feed back about the trail re-dos in that area. Looking forward to checking it out.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Quote Originally Posted by Snototter
    People don't want to hear any positive feed back about the trail re-dos in that area.
    That's what I'm starting to think. And on that subject... there's so much technical primative stuff in PNF there's no way the Gov can have it all groomed in our liftime. And secondly, it's just smoothed a bit like Black was, still an awesome single-trac. Everyone should get over it and check it out for themselves or I might just change my username to 'I HATE trail worker haters in Pisgah'.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hiked it and then road it today. What was always a nice tack-on trail is even better. Grassy Road is much improved too. Keep the Goose!

Big Mac
    Hell yeah! Pave the world!

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Another hater...it ain't like that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Very well done

mtbr member
    I talked to the crew working there several weeks ago. Nice guys and friendly.

Having not ridden the trail before I have no reference for improvements.

I enjoyed the ride, though.

Will ride it again this week/weekend.....gonna camp for awhile up there.
    mike

mtbr member

Good News

It all sounds good to me!! My wife and I are leaving tomorrow for a soild week in Pisgah and plan on doing a night ride one evening on sycamore.
    We have ridden it several times over the years and cannot wait to see the new work, thanks in advance for keeping up with the trails
    IF IT HAS TWO WHEELS AND A HANDLEBAR...I,M IN!

pronounced may-duh
    I'm a hater. I understand that the goal of the work is erosion control and that may have been achieved BUT...

The work on black was fine. It's faster and they did an OK job leaving the rock garden, jumps and wall rides.

The work on thrift makes no change in the character of the trail. It's the same ugly Troad that it always was. It's too bad because a roads to trails conversion would have been very cool.

IMHO, the work on Sycamore has a negative impact on the user experience. Sycamore has been in my top 5 of great pisgah trails. Not so much anymore. The corridor clearing and overall dumbing down have taken it down several notches. Where did all the roots go? And what happened to all the tight branches on the bench cut portions? They totally removed the steep rooty section and replaced it with a lame switchback. And they ain't done yet. I expect that the rocky stream crossings will be sanitized as well.

Fence guru
    Nov 2008
    still cool - but def. not as rocky gnar gnar - i did like the rock jump @ the top

I want my creek gap jump back at black/thrift though

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I rode Sycamore last week, Wednesay & Thursday, and I saw the two dudes with DitchWitch and the 4 wheeler on Sycamore. They were working on the lower/more eastern trailhead part and were making it loamy and buff in places--but the upper portions & near Grassy Road were pretty damn rooty still. So that's all been "improved" away now? Hope to ride there this weekend, regardless.

BrianK
    Member, Pisgah Area SORBA
    GF HiFi Pro

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Did they work on upper or lower Sycamore. I rode lower for the first time today, but have not ridden upper yet. I enjoyed lower. It was a nice way to finish my ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Well,last week, they were working on the lower leg, the eastern most portion off of 276. About 1/2 mile past the first 3 creek crossings, they had been working on up. The trail work took me by surprise, as they signage was on the downhill portion; I just came upon the 4 wheeler and the DitchWitch and then there the two crewmembers were in blue shirts. I thanked them for their hard work and asked if there were more crewmembers up the hill toward Grassy Road, and they said no, and the smoothed over portions/obvious trail work seemed to be less than a mile. I could see the stream crossing work/rock placement as I came down the western leg of Sycamore toward 276, but that was it.

I'd like to keep Sycamore somewhat of a secret, so it doesn't get as much traffic as Thrift/Lower Black Mountain loop, but cat's out of the bag now.

Only saw two riders climbing their way up Black Mountain toward Turkey Pen that day--it was surprisingly chilly those mornings, close to freezing and high winds up on the ridges! Wonderful fall weather! Pisgah Rules!

BrianK
    Member, Pisgah Area SORBA
    GF HiFi Pro

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yes it does! I just moved to Brevard a month ago, and I'm loving it.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Quote Originally Posted by briankrider
    I'd like to keep Sycamore somewhat of a secret, so it doesn't get as much traffic as Thrift/Lower Black Mountain loop, but cat's out of the bag now.
    I've been riding Sycamore since about 1986, everyone I've ever riden with knows that trail. It was in Jim Parham first book. I think that cat's long gone.

It's not what you think.
    Rode it this weekend, I like what was done. I don't think it was dumbed down, had the same flavor but just more sustainable. If everyone is so in love with the "gnar gnar" why does every rocky or rooty section have ride-arounds that creep right to the edge and almost off the mtn? Why isn't the trail up close to the orginal backcut?
    SORBA-Woodstock Diggin' dirt since 1999.

mtbr member
    I rode Sycamore on Sat for the first time since the trail work. Mainly, I was releived that most of the trail was untouched and still had most of it's character.

Unfortunately, as I got neared the bottom where the fun stuff was, there was more evidence of work. The huge knot of roots -gone. The little steep downhill - gone. The creek crossing where you had to have a little speed and really pull up the front wheel - gone. I don't understand why making stuff easier = more sustainable. God knows I'm a slow and timid downhiller...it took me YEARS to learn to finesse that ****.

Regardless, it's pretty work that was done, it could have been a lot, LOT worse. Sycamore is still tons of fun.