Pre Relocation Research - Raleogh/Charlotte/between- Mtbr.com
    Chilling out

Pre Relocation Research - Raleogh/Charlotte/between

My lady and I may be relocating this year to NC, she has possible new work in Charlotte (at Northeastern U) and I would be working in Raleigh (4110 Wake Forest Rd), not exactly close neighbors.

We both likely would have work weeks that don't require being in site 5 days, hers maybe as little as 3 days. Her work would be odd hours, like noon to 8pm or similar, mine a bit flexible but with core from 10am - 3pm for sure.

So the question is, where would be good places to look for residences, short term/immediate and long term, for us, our seven bikes (2 road) and three cats?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Depending on which side of each city the location of the two job are, they are probably at least 2 1/2 hours away from each other. From memory I think Asheboro (Uwharrie Trails) is about half way. Plenty of info can be had from the search function on this forum and the Google (Maps). You know best of your needs and wants.

Sent from my mind using ChinTap

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Asheboro's probably a sensible option given the geographic location, it's close to Uwharrie Forest which has some pretty good trails.

I lived in Greensboro for many years which is a short hop skip and a jump from Asheboro, it has a really good network of trails that are actively maintained and constantly expanding. Greensboro also has a vibrant downtown, decent food/beer scene and is one of the most affordable places to live in the state, might be worth looking in to!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    holy smokes no with a side of no. Those areas are 2.5 hrs away from each other if you're straight shooting it (no traffic). I mean obviously it's up to you, but personally that sounds like an incredibly difficult situation. Traffic is getting pretty terrible through the RDU area, off hours or not. And unless they've finished the multi-year construction work on I-85 coming through Concord toward CLT, that is also a mess.

If you have just got to make it work, I'd second @Robbeh - Asheboro. Close enough to good trails for weekend rips (Uwharrie or Greensboro, both <45 min away), some good road biking out there. 1.5hrs to both CLT and RAL.

Good luck

since 4/10/2009
    ouch. yeah, that relocation would definitely get a no from me. I've dealt with an extremely lengthy commute before and I was pretty much useless.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    When we lived in Greensboro my wife spent 7 months commuting to Raleigh, it was awful to be honest. It took her about an hour and a half in the mornings, and typically 2 - 2.5hrs in the evenings because of traffic around RDU.

Chilling out
    Thanks all for the responses, very much appreciated.

We've been doing net based searching, working to learn the layout of things ( google maps and zillo for traffic/location/residential type info; trailforks, mtbproject, alltrails, singletracks, mtbr, for generic trail info; also working on finding local group info such as Iv'e found via Triangle MTB and Piedmont F.T.S. ).

We're certainly welcome to other "directions of information" suggestions from local residents as they tend to know more. Just like I would be able to (and have) shared related to my current residential area ( NE PA ) and previous ( Austin TX ) over time.

{shrug}

It's still pretty early in this and already we're having to work to manage info overload and work hard to figure out what is meaningful or not, and current or not, in the information we do find.

Clearly we're very sketchy on the distance commute, neither of us wants an hour+ commute as normal because we know how much that could be a lot longer.

The biggest mitigation we have is the possibility / probability that both our jobs won't require us be there 5-days a week, but it's stlll a big deal.

Thanks particularly for the 'beta' on issues that normally hit drive time, it's hard to guess that from afar.

mtbr member
    Dont do it...Unless you can work from home??

All your, or her, time would be spent driving to and from work and that sucks. Hell if you dont care about commuting for hours at a time, might as well pick one or the other (Charlotte or Raleigh/Durham) or better yet move to the mountains and commute 3 hrs to Charlotte or 5 hours to Raleigh. The riding there is better than anywhere else in the state

And it sucks here in NC... I hear Arkansas is the place to be.
    On your left!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I was in Charlotte and Concord, NC last week and the construction mentioned in post #4 is still ongoing.

Driving northbound from Uptown after work will definitely be an issue during "normal" commuting hours.

since 4/10/2009
    Ran into a guy at a bar in Asheville the other night who works for a company in Kansas, but lives in Weaverville. He teleworks a good bit, but when he has to go to the office, he gets on a plane in Greeneville, SC and flies out.

IMO, you'd be better off doing it something like this. Pick a place within a reasonably short drive distance from one of the jobs - preferably the one that requires the most on-site time, IMO. Then fly into town for a few days when you have to be on-site at the other.