Possible Relocation To Raleigh Area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Possible Relocation To Raleigh Area

I may be relocating from El Paso TX to Raleigh NC in the coming month. I am coming from an area where I have desert riding terrain with mix of double tracks and singletrack that would qualify as intermediate to advanced trails. Very little in easy beginner type trails.

What can I expect from Raleigh NC. I know it is in the coastal plains and dont expect 1,000 foot climbs and descents, but are their a lot of trails and do they have technical challenges? Unfortunately, Ashville or other mountain regions in NC will not be an option for me.

On a side note, I have kids (daughter who likes horseback riding and son who like soccer and skateboarding), will there be things for them to do?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Raleigh is actually in the piedmont area of the state, not the coastal, so there are some hills. Of course not anything close to the NC mountains. The mountains are only 3 to 4 hrs away though. Quite a bit of decent singletrack in the triangle area (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill), especially when you add in Uwharrie and Sanford area trails (just south of Raleigh). It is a good mix of easy to intermediate trails. Lots of roots and some rocky sections of trail. San lee, Briar Chapel and New light are the most technically demanding trails in the area. Both san lee and BC have a good deal of rock.

For the childrens, there are quite a few horse stables in the area as well as the Jim Hunt Horse Complex at the fairgrounds. Lots of horse events there. I had to spend a decent amount of time there as a kid since my sister was into it. Nothing like the smell of horsecrap on a 100 degree day with no AC (although I think they have some AC now). Now she is a mtber, thank jebus.
    For skating there are a few parks around here I'm sure. One place that I have been to (for biking) is the Daniel Dhers Action Sports Complex. It is totally BA. Great on a mtb as well. The pump track is fun workout and the foam pit is the tits.

Checkout TriangleMTB.com, your source for mountain biking in Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill for trail info and the local forums. Also an active meetup group that has rides for all skill levels several times a week.

Depending on where you will be working, definitely checkout the Briar Chapel Community in Chapel Hill. Their trail network is awesome and keeps growing. Nice pool and walking trails/nature areas as well.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    MTB scene is big here. Lots of fun trails all over the triangle . Lots of trails you won't find on the internet but any experienced local can show them to you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks. I showed some of the links to my family and they are excited about it as well. Waiting to find out if this will become a reality (job offer pending).

Rogue Exterminator
    I live in the Asheville area and occasionally bike in the Raleigh/Durham area but only because I have family there and I take my bikes with me when I go. The trails are fun and entertaining but I wouldn't trade them for what we have here.

As far as where to go there a trail system there that they like to pretend is super secret but everyone knows about it. It won't take long to find it. lol
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Excellent advice from matt22c, I would just add that you should give some thought as to where in the area you choose to live. Locating in north Raleigh or west Raleigh (between Raleigh and Cary) would be my recommendation. Housing is more expensive there but you're much closer to the trails and the schools in those areas are much better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Lots of stables in the area. Cary will crop up as a suggested place to live. Besides greenway access to lots of trails, they also have a skate park in town: Sk8-Cary Skate Park