Possible day trip to DuPont Wednesday- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Possible day trip to DuPont Wednesday

I'm either going to hit up FATS or DuPont next Wednesday for a day. My wife is not as strong if a rider, so this will be a more laid back cruise and enjoy the scenery/ us time type of trip.

I have found a few waterfalls close together and it looks like I can park near High Falls and see that, Triple Falls, and Grassy Creek Falls fairly easily. Can I get to all three of these without too much hassle?

Also it looks like rain is scheduled until Tuesday, will the area be rideable by Wednesday or will it need more time to dry out?

mtbr member
    I'd do Dupont over FATS. More sightseeing in Dupont and the forest has more variety to offer. Especially for a laid back ride.

FATS will close with the slightest amount of moisture in the air. DuPont rarely closes trails if wet. It will be rideable, you may just get a little dirty/sandy if moist.

I believe​ the trails near High Falls are off limits to bikes, but you can still park there.

Triple Falls and High Falls can't be touched close up on bikes, but good views from afar.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    There is a restaurant in Augusta that my wife really enjoys. If we did FATS it would be more for that than the scenery.

Can we at least get close to the falls by bike and walk in the rest of the way? We did something similar in Helen last year where we biked to a trailhead and hiked in about a 100 yards to the falls.

mtbr member
    Grassy Falls, yes. High and Triple, no. You are atop High Falls when crossing the bridge and Triple is across the river. You can bushwhack to them, but not with bikes. You can get to Hooker, Wintergreen, and Bridal Veil by bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Grassy crk falls isn't as impressive as the others. I would skip it unless you ride hilltop. Instead, I would head over to bridal veil falls, working in some trails like airstrip on the way. TGP made a good point about trail closures. You can wind your way around on the many double tracks at dupont if the trails are wet.

mtbr member
    You can get to the bottom of Triple Falls, now that I rethink it, but not for the great views.

Hooker Falls

Triple Falls

Bottom of Triple Falls

High Falls

Don't expect water like this. This was last February (2016) after torrential rains that actually did close the trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    You can get to the bottom of Triple Falls, now that I rethink it, but not for the great views.

From those pics,the top of Triple Falls and High Falls are the views that she would enjoy the most even with less water moving. Is Bridal Veil as nice looking as those two? If so I will plan a route around seeing those three.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rlouder View Post
    Grassy crk falls isn't as impressive as the others. I would skip it unless you ride hilltop. Instead, I would head over to bridal veil falls, working in some trails like airstrip on the way. TGP made a good point about trail closures. You can wind your way around on the many double tracks at dupont if the trails are wet.
    I will skip Grassy since its not as nice as High Falls and Triple Falls.

mtbr member
    Bridal Veil is Ok. You can get onto the rock face and walk all the way up to and even under the overhang rock at the top. More so interactive than the others. Not much water, but a good visit.