Please, go home.- Mtbr.com
    Big Mac

Please, go home.

Why are tourists still flocking to the Pisgah area? Itís ridiculous. Itís becoming increasingly difficult to maintain social distancing on trails around here. Please, if you donít live here, go home. Seriously, youíre part of the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Same here in N.Ga. Trail parking is packed with out-of-towners. Mostly families hiking with kids..dogsÖ. from what I've seen on trails.

Carbon8er
    I agree
    Please go home and stay there until this passes

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yea, WTF. This is not a vacation, if you get sick or injured here our hospitals are going to have to support you instead of the the tax paying citizens who live here. Incredibly disrespectful, I'm glad they closed DuPont.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    agreed!! close 276 at the intersection!!

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Seriously, youíre part of the problem.

And so are you for riding so close to the tourist..... Don't be a douche, they have just as much right to ride as you do. You made the same choice as them. License plates don't make them wrong or you right...

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    And so are you for riding so close to the tourist..... Don't be a douche, they have just as much right to ride as you do. You made the same choice as them. License plates don't make them wrong or you right...
    Piss off, ass hat. Iím not traveling from home further than 30 minutes. License plates donít matter? Are you stupid, obtuse, or both? They have a right to ride where they live. They should do that. Itís not my fault that my shit is better than your shit. I take it youíre one of the shit bags that were here last weekend? Are you from Charlotte. STAY WHERE YOU LIVE. Pretty simple.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    This coming weekend with 80' temps and Dupont closed, Pisgah/276 is going to be a sh1tshow.

Carbon8er
    I don't see how they could close the 276 entrance to Pisgah?
    People drive to Balsam grove that way and over the hump to Waynesville

Not sure how they would handle this
    Close all the parking lots, Fish Hatchery and Looking glass waterfall pull over?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Once again, you prove you are a douche.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

Cycologist
    If they are tourist, they are probably out eating at restaurants, stopping at gas stations, possibly staying at hotels, etc. It's like I told my wife, if we stay at home, we won't get it. Every time we go out, we raise the odds. You can certainly be very careful in doing these things but you are still increasing your chances of getting it from zero to possible. At this point, the only possible contact we have is our grocery deliveries and mail, so I guess our odds aren't quite zero. My wife is wiping all this stuff down and leaving it in the sun, except for stuff that needs to go in the fridge.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I think you should have to show your official Native American Identification Card before being allowed to ride anywhere in Pisgah. If we are going to do this hater thing lets keep it real. Keep the whities out of Pisgah!!! Horses were around long before bicycles so I vote we close all trails to bikes and turn Pisgah into a horse sanctuary.

In all seriousness that dude's elitist attitude is all wrong and talking at people instead of to people never got anyone to change their mind or behaviors. It's easy to tell when someone is masking their hate for tourists behind the Corona curtain. Yes it is the wrong time to take vacations to small towns with fewer resources but it is a free country (at least for now) and living in a certain town or county doesn't give you special rights to public trails under our current set of laws. I'm sure there are people that can ride their bike to Pisgah and think anyone that has to drive to the trails should stay home. It sounds like the government is stepping in and closing things like DuPont and the parkway and that's fine because they are closing it to everyone and for the good of the public, not so that local shredders can have free reign over the forest. Over the history of humanity some people have always made stupid decisions and the rest of us logical thinkers will have to deal with it.

I'm sure there are plenty of people living in the Pisgah area that don't want tourists to visit at any time of the year and it's their right to hold that opinion but it's those tourists and their money that support the local restaurants, hotels, Airbnb's, bike shops etc. I visit Pisgah and DuPont a few times per year usually during the busy season and I'm always surprised by how few people I come across on the trails. Some days I will ride all day and not see another person on the trail. Yes the parking lots are busy at peak times but I've never had a stranger come within 6 feet of me while I'm in the parking lot and they certainly don't sneeze or cough in my direction.

In closing I agree that you shouldn't pack your family wagon up and head towards the mountains or beaches when you should be sticking close to home and doing your part to squash the curve so that we can all resume a normal life sooner than later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I don't hate tourists, I welcome it and enjoy the opportunity to see new people experience the trails. I get there is a lot of anti-tourist sentiments in Asheville, but in Brevard, that doesn't seem to be an issue.

That said, they are being irresponsible by crowding our trails amidst a pandemic. The result is closures, like DuPont, because people can't follow simple, sensible rules to prevent the spread of disease. It was closed for 'everyone's benefit' for that reason. It would have remained open if people weren't crowding together in large groups and filling the forest in record numbers. These areas are being closed around the nation for this very reason.

The problem is that these people are showing up, straining resources, not following recommendations, and resulting in our access being closed off. We're the ones that have to deal with the consequences of their behavior, which means we now no longer have access to DuPont indefinitely and possibly Pisgah soon. If people were sensible and responsible, we would be able to maintain distance and still have access to these areas to blow off steam (safely, using good judgement, and distancing) amidst a very stressful time for everyone.

It's difficult to not be a little pissed off when you see numerous crowds of 8 or more riding/hiking from out of town followed by forest closures due to their behavior.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    "It's difficult to not be a little pissed off when you see numerous crowds of 8 or more riding/hiking from out of town followed by forest closures due to their behavior."

I can understand that.

mtbr member
    ummmm...this applies to us locals too. Last Friday, I was texting with friends about maybe getting together to ride the trails by my house and then hang on my deck drinking a few beers 6 feet apart. We concluded it wasn't worth the risk at all, the future will still happen and we can see each other after this has passed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post

It's difficult to not be a little pissed off when you see numerous crowds of 8 or more riding/hiking from out of town followed by forest closures due to their behavior.
    This is the frustration... Last weekend everything was packed. Even if its locals out doing their thing, this is not OK. Even locals should try to stay close to home or at least recreate where you wont need to come in contact with others. Solo hikes/rides far away from the normal places.

We live here and should know isolated places to get into the forest if we have to. I have a good dozen or more places to ride or hike that are far off from the normal tourist zones. If it gets really bad, I'll simply stay home... My, or your, desire to ride is not more important than the health of our community.

Its selfish and irresponsible to put your recreation needs ahead of others health and safety. Whether your from Charlotte, Raleigh, or Brevard. Not to mention the added burden on Healthcare/Emergency workers who have to fix you up if you crash, get hurt, or get lost in the forest. We need all medical resources going to fighting this thing...

I love tourists and I think its awesome to see them packing trailheads and spending their dollars at local businesses. I am not anti-tourist but I do get pissed when I see large groups from Charlotte and Raleigh driving up here to ride during a massive health crisis.

Stay home people and come party with us in Pisgah when this is all over... I'll even buy ya an Ecusta beer.
    On your left!

Carbon8er
    I ride solo 90% of the time
    I ride with friends on Sunday mostly, but we have cancelled that arrangement for now.

I don't see large groups of locals in Pisgah
    I know many of the riders here

The large groups I see are from Charlotte and other places
    I make a point to ask where they are from usually as part of the conversation

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
    ummmm...this applies to us locals too. Last Friday, I was texting with friends about maybe getting together to ride the trails by my house and then hang on my deck drinking a few beers 6 feet apart. We concluded it wasn't worth the risk at all, the future will still happen and we can see each other after this has passed.
    That's certainly true, however being that I live 10min from several trailheads, I can go on my own solo and hike or ride without being in a group or being in contact from others. There certainly isn't an exemption for us to congregate in groups of people because we live here, but that doesn't mean we can't get out on our own solo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    "Do as I say, not as I do" - Guy of Great Importance.

Up In Smoke
    Surprised to find out that other people do actually live in your neighborhood
    Kind of like playing an electric drum kit

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    "Do as I say, not as I do" - Guy of Great Importance.
    If you are referring to me, I haven't been riding in large groups for several weeks now and have cancelled both out of state and out of country riding plans.

Folks don't seem to get that being outside of your house isn't the issue, the same that some don't seem to grasp that being outside doesn't mean you can congregate in large groups. The point is to avoid community spread, if you aren't around anyone, then you can't spread it.

This is different from people coming in from out of town (or yes, even local) in large groups and in close proximity on the trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you are referring to me, I haven't been riding in large groups for several weeks now and have cancelled both out of state and out of country riding plans.

Folks don't seem to get that being outside of your house isn't the issue, the same that some don't seem to grasp that being outside doesn't mean you can congregate in large groups. The point is to avoid community spread, if you aren't around anyone, then you can't spread it.

This is different from people coming in from out of town (or yes, even local) in large groups and in close proximity on the trails.
    No, not you.

since 4/10/2009
    That's certainly true, however being that I live 10min from several trailheads, I can go on my own solo and hike or ride without being in a group or being in contact from others. There certainly isn't an exemption for us to congregate in groups of people because we live here, but that doesn't mean we can't get out on our own solo.
    If the big groups from out of town weren't coming to vacation here during a global pandemic, then sure, we probably wouldn't be having trail closures. But because some people just can't help themselves, it's getting shut down. I happen to be at a higher risk of complications from this disease. I got out to ride at Dupont early in this thing before the tourists figured it out (and Dupont was eerily empty for a Sunday) but once the crowds started showing up, I decided it was time to recreate in my neighborhood.

I hope that all open spaces don't get shut down, though. I do hope that the crowds die back enough that I can get out of the neighborhood sometime. Maybe at least for a night ride. But if it happens, then it happens.

mtbr member
    Definitely not saying that solo, or with the person(s) you already live with, time outside in your immediate area should be avoided. If I somehow implied that (don't see how I did), was not my intent.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    This is the frustration... Last weekend everything was packed. Even if its locals out doing their thing, this is not OK. Even locals should try to stay close to home or at least recreate where you wont need to come in contact with others. Solo hikes/rides far away from the normal places.
    Yeah, this is where I'm at. I went trail running last Sunday, even drove out a little ways as I knew my nearby trails would be packed. These trails were packed as well. Bikes were going the opposite direction so I could just get well off the trail when I saw one coming. But I ran up on some hikers. I knew it was close to an intersection so I just walked behind them then went a different way when it branched. I've concluded that I'm just in too much in an urban metro area and should just stay home.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    The Pisgah is closing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by motomike View Post
    The Pisgah is closing.
    Any details? When do they plan on closing it? Everything will be closed?

Big Mac
    Yup, itís all closed. All access points shut down.