Places to stay around Pisgah and things to do at night- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Places to stay around Pisgah and things to do at night

I'd like to do a 2-3 day trip to Pisgah & Dupont and I usually camp but not sure I want to camp in the winter - mostly because it getting dark around 5pm and if it gets real cold. I may consider the bike farm or just sleeping in my SUV, but still dealing with the same issues.

Or if I had a hot shower, good meal and place to kill a couple hours at night, I wouldn't mind camping. Ideally all close by as I'll be driving about 4 hours to get out there.

Any other recommendations? I may also look into Air BnB or couch surf.

Also, what's fun to check out once it get dark?

mtbr member
    Camping ain't too bad. Just make a fire and bring a book. As far as things to do... getting drunk is a good option.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjopickin View Post
    Camping ain't too bad. Just make a fire and bring a book. As far as things to do... getting drunk is a good option.
    Yes

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    There are micro breweries in the area. Oskar Blues Brewery in Brevard has (I'm told) a smallish bar room with occasional live music on weekends, I think. Moto Greenhouse Cafe is up the road in Mills River, a larger room, Saturday music. Sierra Nevada Brewing Co, also in Mills River, has music sometimes, also, but I haven't been there. Food truck provides some kinda food at Oskar and Moto, but you might have to get a motel room a few nights for hot showers. The Asheville airport is pretty close by, and there are a few motels in Brevard. Any nite life starts and ends early in that area (from what I've seen), so check websites for times.

since 4/10/2009
    Yeah, night life seems to be pretty spotty down Brevard way. Even in Asheville, some places you might expect to be open later will close pretty early. But at least in Asheville, you'll find something open late on any given day. It just may not be exactly what you want.

I have stayed in the Sunset Motel in Brevard a couple times. It's a nice bike-friendly place. Nothing super special, but nice people, they have a bike wash station, and are cool with bikes in the rooms. One time I stayed there and they gave us the apartment above the office for no extra charge, and it's got a kitchen and living room in addition to the bedroom.

I've been to Sierra Nevada once. It's a pretty busy place, and they've got really good food. Different than Oskar Blues or New Belgium, who both do food trucks and close relatively early. Still, with as early as it gets dark, either of those (or most anything else) might well be enough night life for you for all I know.

With the way nighttime temps have been lately (frost on the ground west of Asheville this morning), I'm not sure I'd want to tent camp, but I'd use my teardrop camper no question. It's quite cozy in this kind of weather.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Yeah, night life seems to be pretty spotty down Brevard way. Even in Asheville, some places you might expect to be open later will close pretty early. But at least in Asheville, you'll find something open late on any given day. It just may not be exactly what you want.

I have stayed in the Sunset Motel in Brevard a couple times. It's a nice bike-friendly place. Nothing super special, but nice people, they have a bike wash station, and are cool with bikes in the rooms. One time I stayed there and they gave us the apartment above the office for no extra charge, and it's got a kitchen and living room in addition to the bedroom.

I've been to Sierra Nevada once. It's a pretty busy place, and they've got really good food. Different than Oskar Blues or New Belgium, who both do food trucks and close relatively early. Still, with as early as it gets dark, either of those (or most anything else) might well be enough night life for you for all I know.

With the way nighttime temps have been lately (frost on the ground west of Asheville this morning), I'm not sure I'd want to tent camp, but I'd use my teardrop camper no question. It's quite cozy in this kind of weather.
    I stayed in that apartment above the office once... loved it! The sunset motel rocks for the winter if you don't wanna deal with camping in the cold. I think it was 80 bucks a night.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Great, thanks all. Good to know about Sunset Motel.
    Wouldn't need anything big for nightlife, just something to check out maybe from 6-8pm. The breweries would be fun (if open that late on weeknights) and I have fun in Brevard just get a dinner and drink out and walking around town.

jcard14
    Oct 2005
    Check out the cabins at Pilots Cove. Right behind the Hub in Pisgah Forest. Stayed there for a week this summer. Awesome...it was built to accommodate riders.

mtbr member
    If any of y'all in the Brevard area are looking for something a little more sophisticated and different, music-wise, stop by Oskar Blues Brewery on Saturday afternoon/evening. My stepson's band plays an instrumental jazz/fusion progressive blend of original and some cover tunes. The band is Noonday Sun, scheduled 6-8 pm. It's not Classic Rock (oldies), and you won't hear Wagon Wheel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa View Post
    If any of y'all in the Brevard area are looking for something a little more sophisticated and different, music-wise, stop by Oskar Blues Brewery on Saturday afternoon/evening. My stepson's band plays an instrumental jazz/fusion progressive blend of original and some cover tunes. The band is Noonday Sun, scheduled 6-8 pm. It's not Classic Rock (oldies), and you won't hear Wagon Wheel.
    But I love songs about 29ers

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    In Brevard:
    https://www.185kingst.com
    https://www.thephoenixandthefox.com/music.html
    and the previously mentioned Oskar's
    Hendersonville has a few options as well

The "smoking area" behind Brevard Brewery can get lively even when the bar looks slow, the same with Jordon Street Cafe. Sometimes a party or two will morph out of these places to a different local.
    Lots more to do in season, i.e. not December to March

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    But I love songs about 29ers
    They do a Billy Cobham composition called "Stratus", later covered (I'm told) by Jeff Beck. I understand that there are a lot of trails in the area close by, and so I've seen lots of vehicles with bikes there.

mtbr member
    do they take requests?

I would love to hear a Jazz/fusion cover of Sleep by Dopesmoker...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIw7oeZKpZc
    On your left!

mtbr member
    do they take requests?

Generally, no requests. They have a set list, and rotate songs in and out, but half to 3/4 original compositions written by the leader. Chriscoopermusic.com

mtbr member
    I will send him the YouTube link you sent as a suggestion, but even if they like it, it would take a while to work it into the playlist. It's not music with widespread appeal, but if it appeals to you, chances are you will like it a lot. He's got a YouTube channel, Blue Collar Shred.

mtbr member
    do they take requests?

Ok, I got a chance to listen to that track. If you like that you likely won't like Noonday Sun. I'm Hoping you were pulling my leg.